1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Need small/micro solderless connectors for frequent pickup swaps

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by variantboy, Nov 16, 2020.

1. 5595bassman

5595bassman Tele-Holic

I also use the same type as does spellcaster (Post No 27) for swapping Strat's entire loaded pickguards easily for testing, modding or upgrading. I have two Strats already equiped with these.

The corresponding part connects to what does not need to be remove anymore from the body. I.E the Output jack's two wires and a ground point that takes care of the Bridge/Tremolo claws and the cavity shield.

Those pair of connectors came from an RC/Robotic parts supplier but I do not remember which.

What telecentric shows on Post No 25 seems to be the same and even having a 4 wire model which was not available when I searched 10 years ago.

100_5897.JPG 100_5898.JPG

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  2. variantboy

variantboy Tele-Meister

Now these look VERY promising.. i might just order some of them. Thank you!

3. 5595bassman

5595bassman Tele-Holic

I think those spellcaster and I used ( Post No 41 ) are flatter ( not much bigger than the wires thickness ) and less bulky for usage in Tele cavities.

100_5899.JPG

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  4. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

You may not want to hear this but GFS has a proprietary Kwik Plug system that is mounted on the bottom of the pickup. I acquired one, inadvertently, and it looks like a decent approach.
    It's only one pickup on one guitar and as such may never come into play, but it's an interesting idea.
    They sell the harnesses separately, probably won't be a cheap conversion, might not fit your guitar.

5. Tjeppen

Tjeppen TDPRI Member

Playing devil's advocate here, but won't it be very difficult to get the connectors through the holes in the wood of the guitar ????
    Sometimes it's a nightmare just getting the plain wires through...

6. variantboy

variantboy Tele-Meister

this is precisely why i went with the connectors i found (linked above).

No mods needed to be made to the pickup wires.. no need to crimp a metal connector thingamabob to the end of them... and then a plastic housing, etc.. .

The plastic connector simply connects the switch/pot connections to the pickups in 2 seconds.. on the control cavity side of things.. and can be reversed with just an "unclick". no need even to solder....

..and it's a reliable enough connection (in my opinion/estimation) to endure even the most townshend-esque acrobatics - none of which i ever do. that said.. it's good to know i could if i wanted :).

7. dpang

dpang TDPRI Member

I use Terminal Blocks. No Crimping required with the small flat head screws. Very quick and cheap!

8. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I just bought this used Peavey hollow body, and it contains what looks like a PC fan connector. I guess the previous owner did something with the pickup wiring, and chose to use this kind of connector. Unless it's original but I doubt it.
    IMG_20201116_204317920.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.