1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Need small/micro solderless connectors for frequent pickup swaps

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by variantboy, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Alex_C

Alex_C TDPRI Member

screw terminal blocks. No crimping, no cutting. Simple and inexpensive.

2. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Meister

By the time you get all this genipp-genopp together (and fasten them to pickups you may want to sell), you might as well just get a soldering iron and do it right, a tried and true solid mechanical and electrical connection. Space in a Tele control route is already pretty cramped...

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    DeepDangler likes this.
  3. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

You can back the crimped metal end out of the plastic housing, but yes it's a little bit difficult (but not impossible) to bend open the crimped end. For ruggedness I add solder to the wire/crimp joint, as well. Depends what your goal is, how many times you want to change things with resoldering, etc.

For a gigging guitar I'm not sure I'd go this route, either. Screw terminal blocks might he okay, but a good mechanical joint plus solder is best. Depends what you're trading off.

4. Quixotic

Quixotic TDPRI Member

I still don't understand why people bother with "solderless" connectors. Without those terminal blocks, you're still going to have to solder twice as many points... just to save time in the future? I mean, what's the point? If you know what you're doing, whole pickup changes can be done and hardwired in a matter of minutes. You're just introducing a mechanically unsound point in the equation to save a negligible amount of time. I can even get into parasitic and contact resistance creep and how that could impact tone, but then I'd be splitting hairs. That's just my $0.02USD.

Learn how to do it right and it becomes a non-issue. Don't invent problems for yourself.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    DeepDangler and JRapp like this.
  5. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Holic

You could splice on some arduino jumpers to the wires th.jpg

Zettemusik and Powertrain like this.
  6. JWH7

JWH7 TDPRI Member

Seymour Duncan has "the Liberator" solderless pickup wire system. I have not tried it yet.

7. spellcaster

spellcaster Tele-Holic

I've had success with the miniaturized molex connectors used for RC cars

[​IMG]

Zettemusik and Cyberi4n like this.
  8. Varmonter

Varmonter TDPRI Member

I'm trying this pre-wired control plate
    For the first time in my new build.
    It takes a bit of a knack to get all the wires in place correctly. Once done it
    Seems to hold pretty well.quality cts pots. Mines the 4way switch.
    https://obsidianwire.com/pro-wire-your-tele/

Alex_C and Zettemusik like this.
  9. Varmonter

Varmonter TDPRI Member

I'm trying this pre-wired control plate
    For the first time in my new build.
    It takes a bit of a knack to get all the wires in place correctly. Once done it
    Seems to hold pretty well. Time will tell.
    quality cts pots. Mines the 4way switch.
    https://obsidianwire.com/pro-wire-your-tele/

10. SRHmusic

I would just note there are locking connector types of similar size that should be more secure than some of the ones above that are not.

11. fish4blues

fish4blues TDPRI Member

[​IMG] screw in terminal block Mouser 651-1084026 $3.63 each

12. Chuck berry

Chuck berry TDPRI Member

Saw a few pictures of adapters cool. Especially the ones that cover the whole pots. The other ones look great too but as we all know the opening and debtness that hold all the wires is not to big.

13. Stephen Begley

Stephen Begley TDPRI Member

You might try Pin and Socket connectors in Mouser. If you are crimping the cable ends, just be careful to choose a pitch that you handle with store bought crimpers - 2.54mm seems relatively common and is probably small enough for your purposes, anything smaller and you will need a speciality crimper or to get lucky with an OEM tool. Regarding the former, it might be cheaper to buy a new guitar.

14. Alaman

Alaman Tele-Meister

I’m very interested in what you find that works well. I have been looking to do this on my ES-335 which anyone who owns this style knows what a pain it is to pull the electronics to solder in pickups. I already wired with pigtails to the pickup cavities and am soldering to them but it would make things a bit tidier and easier to swap in and out while doing A/B comparisons if I used connectors. If I end up finding THE perfect pickups that I’d never see my self replacing then I could go in later and solder them in “the right way” :rolleyes: as someone earlier commented. I had been looking at molex connectors like Gibson uses on their circuit board setups but like you it would be nice to hear what size/model has worked for others who may have tried this. There are a lot of sizes and if you use too small, it is like brain surgery to wire them.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    variantboy likes this.
  15. SRHmusic

I think I misunderstood your question in my first reply. I thought you were asking about undoing it all so you could go back to soldering the ends after some time.

Just to clear it up: The connectors I'm referring to come in two halves, the pin side and socket side, like the types shown above in a few posts. They have small plastic 'housings' unique to each side, and some are locking with a little tab on one side you squeeze to release it from the other. They are intended for easily disconnecting and reconnecting often. First you crimp on the little pin and socket ends on the wires, then insert the crimped wire ends into the housings.

These are used for connecting batteries in RC cars, fans in computers, and all sorts of electronic prototype boards for robotics, microcontrollers, sensors, etc. Here are more specific link at Pololu for reference: https://www.pololu.com/category/19/connectors
    One type of small locking connector; see the photos here: (There are many! JST PH or XH is another type out there.)
    https://www.pololu.com/product/1936
    https://www.pololu.com/product/1937
    A crimp tool:
    https://www.pololu.com/product/1928

Depending on your goals, this might be what you want, or the screw terminal block may be better. It's certainly simpler. (I'd recommend still tinning the ends of the wires before inserting.) I'm a little skeptical of how either will hold up in a guitar used for gigging, but either are good for rapid swaps and experimenting.

variantboy likes this.
  16. DeepDangler

DeepDangler TDPRI Member

Why not just solder a 2 inch wire lead on your pickup wire so you don’t have to cut the pickup main wire?

You could also get a Stratocaster and just get a new pickguard each time you swap pickups. That way you can have a stable of loaded pickguards to swap out when you’re feeling frisky.

Powertrain and 5595bassman like this.
  17. variantboy

variantboy Tele-Meister

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. All very useful.

i received these yesterday

and they worked nicely. Not amazingly... but nicely. I'll still look for a better option - but these will do for now.

I didn't want to go with any of the "pre-wired" solutions as i wanted the switch configured a certain way that is completely non-standard.

SRHMusic - those things you're linking to might actually be better - and you're right they do seem easily reversible. I think i shied away from them because they require another tool - but maybe it's worth it. I definitely change and swap pickups more than i should (i think i've learned the most about pickups from that very thing), and these all will facilitate my habit.

very much appreciate all the help

18. Propellermonkey

Propellermonkey NEW MEMBER!

I saw that you'd purchased something already, but I thought I'd mention that Guitar Fetish has a modular system that's not too expensive. It's definitely more expensive than generic connectors, though. Good luck with your pickup swaps!

19. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Meister

This makes good sense as well as for archtops. I have a newish Guild archtop that uses connectors between pickups and controls. IIRC, some old Silvertone/Kay archtops did as well.

20. MoHump

MoHump TDPRI Member

To answer your question, yes, there are connectors that will do exactly that. I've worked in the electronics world for many years and there are several that would be small enough to fit into the cavity. Have a look at these: [ http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=352993991832 ] on ebay for about $10.

Powertrain and variantboy like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.