1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Need small/micro solderless connectors for frequent pickup swaps

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by variantboy, Nov 16, 2020.

1. variantboy

variantboy Tele-Meister

Does anyone know of a VERY SMALL connector that allows you to NON-DESTRUCTIVELY connect two wires, and then easily (and non-destructively) UN-connect them without removing any length from each of the two wires?

I have been looking for the right solution for this for years. And just can not figure out from online searches which is the best. Please help.

I am continuously changing pickups.. and glopping solder on my switches and pots. I want to set up my switch and pots so I can make these swaps quickly and not have to always solder to the switch/pots.

In essence - make a little "pigtail" from each of the following :

1) bridge pickup hot terminal
    2) neck pickup hot terminal
    3) back of volume pot as ground

So that each time I switch a set of pickups I need only undo the existing pickup wire connections to each of the three pigtails... then connect the new pickup set by using this connector I'm imagining to connect neck hot to (1), bridge hot to (2) and neck and bridge grounds to (3)

I see lots of different options for these online but I can never tell from the pictures/info provided if they are small enough to fit in the control panel cavity, or if they require you to cut wire away to "un-do" them, or if they'll work with guitar wire, etc..

Is anyone else doing this and might have a solution?

Something like this maybe ? :

https://www.lowes.com/pd/IDEAL-Spli...peTlrEVKfL19Y-dBAK8aAr9jEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Problem is - I can't tell if this will fit in the tele control panel cavity.... And I can't tell if it will fit guitar-sized wire, or work with that type of conductor (these say they work only with copper wire).

Is anyone doing this and has a product that they use ??

Thanks in advance

Zettemusik likes this.
  2. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

What is the smallest wire nut available? Would that be too big? The grey ones go down to 22 ga.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  3. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Afflicted

The R/C (radio control) world is chock full of tiny 2 wire connectors.

Search “JST connector”

4. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I bought a bunch on Ebay from China, for nuttin'.. It only saves time on one end though really, and you better remember which wire is which in the connector. . The wires were pretty stiff on the ones I bought though.

5. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Pololu.com is a small robotics supplier with a lot of connectors available, easier to navigate than the big suppliers. You probably want a locking type. After choosing a type, you can purchase a kit with the connector housings, crimp connectors and a crimp tool. Check DigiKey and Mouser as well. I'll be curious as to what works for you.

6. variantboy

variantboy Tele-Meister

the ones that use/require a crimp tool look to be more permanent... meaning if I want to undo something that's been connected via a crimp - I may have to cut the wire to undo the connection... no ??

am I not understanding that correctly?

JRapp likes this.
  7. variantboy

variantboy Tele-Meister

I thought about wire nuts... they just seem to me, with a guitar moving as much as it might during playing to be a little more likely to come loose - so I'm thinking it's not what I want.

I just want something that makes the wire connection, and seals it from being touched by other wires... that doesn't require me to cut the wires if I want to disconnect them. I've used electrical tape in the past... but then the wires are covered in "adhesive" afterward. that doesn't work.

even the links provided above provide so many options with few or none giving dimensions to suggest if they will fit... and few suggesting whether they will be destructive or not... and few providing pictures that are easy for me to determine if they're what I need. d

still researching..

8. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

JST. You can buy them in pairs with flying leads and solder them on with a heat-shrink cover if you don't want to add the plastic plugs/sockets direct to the ends.

CA2037AB-6D83-48B5-8BCC-7D6D944DE9BF.jpeg

9. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n TDPRI Member

stressdoubt likes this.
  10. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

RCA patch cables from old VCR/stereo systems

Radio Control car wiring plugs (looks like those posted a couple notes above) off Amazon are inexpensive.

11. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n TDPRI Member

12. variantboy

variantboy Tele-Meister

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  13. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

You could try twisting them together then tight shrink tubing over them. It is easier than electrical tape.

14. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Afflicted

Just don't use these...

The incomparably useless Lucas bullet connector. As used on British cars and motorcycles in the 60s and 70s. Guaranteed failure of ignition, lighting, heating and windscreen wiper circuits on dark, wet nights.

download.jpeg

15. kodiakblair

kodiakblair Tele-Meister

I use pcb terminal blocks in my wiring looms. £2 for 20.

Blob of hot glue holds the block to back of pot, short run of solder between the contacts and the pot lugs.

DSC_0618.JPG pcb-terminal-block-250x250.jpg

Tjeppen, jays0n, BigBillow and 5 others like this.
  16. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

Are you talking about actually taking them from old VCRs or just using that as a frame of reference? Haha

17. fidopunk

fidopunk Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Hey now, I feel seen... unlike my MGB's headlights at night...

ricknbaker likes this.
  18. variantboy

variantboy Tele-Meister

this seems like a good solution too.

19. kodiakblair

kodiakblair Tele-Meister

Thanks, been doing it like this a couple of years . It's a breeze to swap in pickups and different caps.

20. stressdoubt

stressdoubt TDPRI Member

I have the same kit (and one of the fully loaded control plates) and it works great. The little terminal connector is similar to the PCB one mentioned above

Cyberi4n likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.