Need recommendations for the MOST RELIABLE USB-C docking station

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ukepicker, Jun 3, 2021.

1. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

I recently got a remote work job and a Samsung Flex laptop. I'm a drafter, so I added an ultrawide monitor. And set up my rig on rollers so that I can move around the house with ease.

I know a desktop would've been a more reliable solution, but I need the flexibility of travel as well.

The only inputs on my laptop are USB-C. I've been through several docking stations and none of them work reliably. With the one I'm using now (Lasuney, $30 from amazon), my computer doesn't recognize my monitor most of the time, or it recognizes it as a standard width or another size or distorts the picture. I can usually get it to sync up after a dance of unplugging/replugging, rebooting, ctrl-window-shift-B, powering down/powering up, switching on/switching off, etc etc etc etc. It never seems to work the same way twice. And every reboot or move of the hardware (happens several times per day) means I get to do the dance again.

I'm sick to death of it. I need the wide monitor for full productivity. I lose at least thirty minutes a day to monkeying with the damned thing. Today, I've lost an hour and a half.

Please recommend the MOST RELIABLE docking station for usb-c connection. At this point, money is no object and I'm willing to pay almost any price for something that works.

Thanks in advance!

2. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

Also, I need it to power the laptop, have a couple of USB-A ports and at least one HDMI port. I'd like to have an SD card reader, but it isn't a deal breaker.

3. nathan5782

nathan5782 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

The model we are using at my job is an HP and it was back ordered from the vendor we buy from so I’m not sure if this price on amazon is normal but seems pricey. The latest HP laptops only use the usb-C dock
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YYF6BH9/?tag=tdpri-20

ukepicker likes this.
  4. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

Thank you. That is a little pricey. Do you ever had trouble with them? Peripheries not recognized or sudden disconnections, etc?

5. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

You get what you pay for here. I over see technology for close to 1000 staff and we do a lot of support for remote working. No one's had problems with the well known brands.

The stuff in Apple's store whether or not you buy from them is well-vetted and works with the first tier Windows laptops we provision. They have an enterprise purchase program that sells vetted 3rd party products. It's all been good whether we get it from CDW or Apple.

When someone insists on being cheapskate I'll ask my CDW rep what gets returned a lot.

ukepicker likes this.
  6. John Frets

John Frets TDPRI Member

This is the one that I use with my HP Envy laptop. I’ve been using it over close to three years.

Compatibility can be an issue. I think I remember the manufacturer having a list of compatible computers, but be careful. The list may not be reliable.

I was expecting to have the one USB-C connection do everything. That included providing power. It’s supposed to do that for some computers. Alas, it wouldn’t do that for my computer. So, I have to connect the computer in two places: the regular power adapter and the USB-C cable from the dock.

It’s sometimes a bit glitchy. This morning, for example, when I turned the computer on after putting it in hibernate mode last night. I had to unplug the USB-C cable and plug it in again to get the external display to work.

Also, when I use it, only the external display works. I don’t know if I could set it up to have both the built-in laptop display and the external display going at the same time.

7. nathan5782

So far I haven’t heard of those problems we started getting them in February and I’ve mostly just helped people set them up before they take them offsite and then many of them are working at home with dual monitors. I think we had one bad unit not powering on.

ukepicker likes this.
  8. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the reply, imwjl! I was hoping you'd chime in.

My first dock was the top of the line that bestbuy carried at the time. Belkin maybe? Some of the ports didn't work.

All of these usb-c ports from known brands seem to recommend them only being used with their machines. Nathan recommended an HP model, but they're only recommended for HP computers. Same with Apple's display adaptor - recommended for Apple products.

Do these typically work with any usb-c connection?

9. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

Thanks, Nathan. Is your company using different brands of laptops? Or all they all HP?

10. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Oh, yeah! CDW sales reps are consistently the best. You can phone them and get straight answers.

11. nathan5782

They are mostly HP, some departments that have their own support groups buy Dells and there are MacBooks scattered around.

12. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Fun Fact: No matter what the maker calls them, these are port replicators and not docks. If you're looking to buy one, search on both terms.

13. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Lots of Belkin have been fine. IIRC, Caldigit is one of the brands Apple vets. With so many shortages these days I've substituted Startech and Trip-Lite too.

For 2021 we've stopped buying any laptop that isn't a Microsoft Surface brand (many models) or Apple. I'm fortunate to have a president who says "I don't want ___ in my company when I can afford it." and a CFO who's analyzed that quality and a lack of f*ckry pays. I still have Dell and HP business tier stuff.

nathan5782 and ukepicker like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.