1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Need recommendations for a neck humbucker

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by benjammin420, Sep 6, 2017.

1. benjammin420

benjammin420 TDPRI Member

It's actually for a Squier Jazzmaster (dual humbuckers), but I figured this would be the place to ask about HBs in Fenders/Squiers.

I'm looking for something that will be good for cleaner, blues and jazz type leads. Clear with some chime, but will handle distortion from a pedal. I like a good PAF, but I'm used to using them in Gibsons. I don't want the mids scooped out (like with a Duncan 59) but I don't want super heavy mids either (that's my complaint with the stock neck pickup, too powerful and thick sounding). Something that will sound even across the spectrum in an alder body (with a hard tail bridge)

I've liked the reissue Wide Range pickups I've used, but I haven't played one too recently, and info on the internet is hard to come by (except that they don't sound like the originals). It's a cheaper guitar though, and I don't think I want to spend boutique dollars on a more proper Wide Range reproduction.

I had in mind a sound like Jimmy Page on the intro to "Since I've Been Loving You", but I don't know if thats a Tele or an LP or what, so maybe that's a bad example. Peter Green on "Love That Burns" is also in the ballpark of what I'm looking for.

double_a likes this.
  2. parademe

parademe Tele-Meister

Page might just turned the mids on his amp down...
    Other than that, an Alnico IV humbucker is said to be eq wise "flatter". Tonerider A4 comes to mind. Affordable, good reviews and a lot of people seem to like them.

double_a and benjammin420 like this.
  3. benjammin420

Thanks, the clips on their site sound good, that may be the front runner

I saw on another forum that a Wide Range HB is bigger than an standard HB and won't fit my guitar without modifying the body (which I don't want to do) I'm glad I found that out before buying one

4. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Watch your size and depth with swapping in normal humbuckers into a jazzmaster fit.
    Not sure about WRHB , those are pigs.

There are billions of HB options.

5. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

SD Jazz?

benjammin420 likes this.
  6. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

That is some seriously sweet tone in that video clip. Good luck achieving it and be sure to post the path you found if you're successful.

Cheers,
    Rex

benjammin420 likes this.
  7. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

SD JB or Seth Lover.

benjammin420 and brown2bob like this.
  8. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I flirted with HB's in my Teles for awhile. Ultimately I concluded you can get close but not quite as compared to a HB in an LP. I'm nto sure if it's the wood, the neck/headstock angle, the carved top, extra bridge height off the deck, different bridge/tailpiece, pots, or all of the above. HB's, particularly neck HB's, always were much darker and murkier in a Fender (contrary to my expectations).

The SD Jazz is quite bright and the closest I got, also using 500k volume pot, IIRC.

benjammin420 likes this.
  9. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Antiquity? :)

benjammin420 likes this.
  10. the_lyall

the_lyall Telepathetic

I have a Gibson 57 Classic humbucker in the neck and a Burstbucker in the bridge. I think the 57 would work for the sound you're after.

Dismalhead and benjammin420 like this.
  11. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

Another vote for the SD Jazz.

benjammin420 likes this.
  12. benjammin420

I'm not expecting to nail that exact tone (certainly not with this guitar), but that was the best guide post I could think of for a PAF style neck pickup in a solid body. I'm not trying to make a Fender sound like a Gibson either, I'm quite happy with the natural sound of this guitar, but the stock neck pickup doesn't suit my style, I imagine they were designed more for heavier modern rock (or they're just cheap :lol:)

13. benjammin420

The only Duncan neck pickup I have experience with is the 59, which did have a decent "Fender-y" sound to my ear (scooped mids), but it's not really what I want here. Could you guys describe the Jazz, Seth Lover or Antiquity, in terms of how they compare to the 59? Thanks

14. Milspec

The Jazz is very similar to the '59 except a little brighter with pristine cleans. Works really well for jazz and blues. Should add that it has a little less bass which I didn't always like in the '59 when pushed.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    benjammin420 likes this.
  15. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

For me, any PAF type I tried in the neck was a bit muddy to my ears. The Jazz just cleans things things up lovely without being overly bright.

You get the cleans, you get the blues, you get the rock. You just don't get the mud!

It's all subjective, but the Jazz is my go to neck humbucker pickup.

benjammin420 likes this.
  16. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

17. homesick345

This why I am thinking about an Antiquity in the neck position. Degaussed, weak, maybe perfect like a good ancient guitar.

benjammin420 likes this.
  18. Milspec

I think I may have to retract my suggestion of the SD Jazz. I have a Godin Session Custom that I want to upgrade the neck pickup on and was thinking another Jazz, but now I am really liking the idea of the SD P-Rail. Sure seems like a very versatile approach.

benjammin420 likes this.
  19. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

I love the P-Rails. If you try them don't make the mistake of choosing a wiring option that denies you the two coils in parallel. Unlike most humbuckes, whose two coils are near identical, and parallel tends to sound just like a normal split but without noise, IMO the P-Rails parallel is a unique and quite useful tone, since it blends the rail and the P-90, not two similar coils.
    If you use the Triple-shot rings it's a no brainer but you can get all four options other ways too (Rail only, P90 only, HB series, HB parallel).

benjammin420 likes this.
  20. homesick345

I agree how interesting the PRails are, especially in the parallel position. The only problem is the lack of an authentic vintage PAF tone. If this is what the OP wants, then PRails are too far off.

benjammin420 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.