Need recommendations for a home studio desk chair

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Mark E Rhodes, Sep 22, 2021.

1. Mark E Rhodes

Mark E Rhodes Tele-Meister

I have a Nota Posture chair that I sit in to practice and record.
    Cost about $125 and worth every penny. I think it will outlive me.
    upload_2021-9-22_11-25-38.jpeg

But I need a more comfortable chair when I'm not practicing or recording. One to sit at while mixing, listening to playbacks, unwinding.

I'm a big guy---5'11', 225---so the chair needs to be, um, robust. ;o)

I've never been one for video games but "gaming chairs" seem plentiful---are they worth considering?

I would prefer a chair that allows the arms to be raised up and out of the way if need be. (I don't mind having them there at times, though, so I'm not looking for an armless chair.)

Ideally, something for less than $200 would suit my budget, but for something really good, I could go higher.

2. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

Bark-a-lounger or lazy boy

upload_2021-9-22_13-52-19.jpeg

you can put the mixing desk in the chair next to yours and use the vibration to add vibrato to any vocals.

3. swervinbob

swervinbob Friend of Leo's

The chair I use goes with the table I use. It’s over 100 years old.

4. Mark E Rhodes

Ha! Way too big for my music room. It's cramped as is. (If I had a recliner, I'd just fall asleep in it, which would be comfortable yet counterproductive.)

LutherBurger likes this.
  5. Mark E Rhodes

So you're not actually recommending it...

Mouth and swervinbob like this.
  6. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's

I am same height as you and just under 300 lbs., and got a "gaming" chair from wayfair a little over a year ago for around $125. The arms flip up so I can play guitar in it, and it has been where I have parked my carcass ever since work-from-home started. a year in, the padding is starting to sack out a bit and the hydraulic seat height adjust is starting to go, but it is still quite comfortable for doing desk work like mixing and stuff.

7. swervinbob

swervinbob Friend of Leo's

No. Just messing up your thread with useless information that does not answer your question. You know. The usual forum etiquette.

bromdenlong and magicfingers99 like this.
  8. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

i personally use an armless stool. it makes it easy to move my arms wherever they need to be, to do what needs to be done. I rarely, actually never sit in front of my gear to relax. I'm composing or mixing or patching cables or tweaking knobs etc.

A armless stool, typically listed as an examination stool such as this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019QF7JI/?tag=tdpri-20

they go on sale now and again. I think I paid 45$ for mine - I bought 2 of them. very comfortable and height is adjustable. Easy to play guitar while seated and running the board at the same time.

upload_2021-9-22_18-29-6.jpeg

9. StoneH

StoneH Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I can't recommend a chair. I think most decent quality, comfortable chairs will do.

What helped me more than anything was getting the ergonomics right, whether it is mixing or just daily use of the computer.

I emptied my lap drawer and positioned the keyboard as high as I could on some plywood. I can pull it to a comfortable position. I also emptied my right hand drawer and raised my mouse pad on some plywood. My arm sits the chair armrest (what a concept) and level with the mouse pad. No more reaching. I can lean back. No more pain between my shoulder blades.

Both.png

Mark E Rhodes likes this.
  10. Twang-ineer

Twang-ineer Tele-Meister

So yeah, I'm same height, and a bit heavier.... and have a ton of issues with being comfortable. I got to that "at any price a chair that fits" point in my life and I shopped it to death, engineer by trade , yada yada....

Steelcase Amia Task Chair

I bought one and my wife liked it so much, she got one too. Only buy used from Madison Seating Outlet on Amazon, I could not be happier with their customer service. This is a chair that will last a lifetime. And worth every penny if you have back issues of any kind. Yes the arms get out of the way for playing from a seated, reclined position.

Steelcase chairs are kinda like Redwing Boots or a Cisco router .... you can pay more, you can pay less, but this way ya get what ya pay for.

11. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

The standard office chair that everyone copies to greater or lesser success is the Herman Miller Aeron, which you can find used (I paid around $350 for mine, in great condition).
    They are very expensive brand new without any discounts though. The company also makes a less expensive chair I think.

Since you-know-what I have spent a LOT of time in that thing. Still extremely comfortable, looks great. To me a chair is like a mattress, it's a place where you might want to spring for something nicer given all the time you spend in it.

12. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

Plus one on that Herman Miller chair!

I know the audio video crew that tours with the company's display products
    and they all use their Miller chairs. They are designed to sit you comfortably
    for hours without the usual stressors.

I'm always on the lookout for a good deal on one.
    They sell them by the truckloads to big agencies like
    government offices, DMV, etc.

Find their online catalog and dream on!

13. loudboy

loudboy Tele-Meister

Aeron is almost as essential as a Lava Lamp.

I have this wacky, ugly '70s-style chair I got at Goodwill for $5 that is the most comfortable thing I've ever sat in for hours at a time. Will get an Aeron when/if this one dies.

14. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

My "SPACE" is designed around my Pedal Steel and for right hand access. I use a longer soft piano bench which allows me to move my butt in multiple directions ! Towards the Steel , towards the DAW or totally opposite for guitar tracking. I did at one time use a DRUM stool but found the Piano Bench more suited for what I do.

I also have an older version PC/DAW ( to the right) which I call up now and then for file transfer . Both systems are able to use use the same External SESSIONS DRIVE and both DAW's speak the same language.

Plus the real truth is the Cat likes the Piano Bench better than a stool.

Who am I to deny the Cat ? :)

I don't think I ever had a squeaky clean workspace, I may reorganize after a tracking session is complete, but not until then. From day to day, I leave things as they were.

IMG_0570.JPG

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
  15. Mark E Rhodes

Thanks for the suggestion. My thoughts have run along those lines. I worry about the hydraulics going. (My wife works in an office and says that tends to happen to office chairs after a year or so.)
    Someone in an old thread (2012) on this subject talked about SoundSeat. I looked into their chairs. Expensive but made for musicians and meant to last.
    upload_2021-9-23_6-55-46.jpeg I'm looking at this one. (I would have casters put on the bottom.) I want to know more about it first but as my wife says, "If you only have to buy it once, it comes out cheaper than buying a less expensive one several times over the years. It's not like you're going to stop needing a chair."

gregulator450 likes this.
  16. Mark E Rhodes

Nice setup. My mom plays piano, so I'm familiar with piano benches. She haw always been fine with them but I am not---in less than a half-hour on a piano bench, my lower back is killing me. I need lumbar support.
    Yet I see the advantage of a wide seat on could slide to the left or right on.

T Prior likes this.
  17. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Office supply stores have multiple models of exactly what you need. I like mine without arms attached.

18. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Afflicted

I think I got this at "At Home" store.
    Tele not included.
    [​IMG]

19. Mark E Rhodes

I have thought about those chairs. A thousand bucks seemed insane to me for a chair but now that I'm older I think, "A chair is an important piece of equipment in its own right and if it's durable and comfortable it's worth something. Still, a grand for a chair? Am I Aeron-worthy?"

But I have a question about those chairs. Can you raise the arms if need be? (Can you play a guitar while sitting in it?) If you're sitting at a desk is it comfortable for writing? (As in with a pencil in a music manuscript book.)

20. Mark E Rhodes

Thanks! That's definitely on my list.
    I discovered Madison Seating (mentioned in a portion of your post not copied here) while looking at used Aeron chairs.

I hadn't thought of buying a used chair. (Ironic, since the chair I'm sitting in now came from Goodwill.) But if these chairs "last a lifetime" (and I'm already 62), then a used one should be fine.

Do those arms raise up? (Can you play guitar in it?) I have an armless chair for guitar practice, so this would not be a deal breaker. (I'm thinking mainly of a chair to sit in while mixing, writing song lyrics, and perhaps checking out what's going on here. ;o)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.