Need recommendations for a guitar wireless system.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 985plowboy, Nov 28, 2017.

1. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

After years of wanting a wireless system for my guitar, I bought a Line 6 Relay G-10 about a year ago.
    I love the freedom and wish I'd gotten one sooner.
    It's worked great with every guitar I have ever tried it on EXCEPT the Gibson J-45 Standard with the L.R. Baggs Element active I got last summer.
    Something to do with TS and TRS pins and jacks not being compatible.
    I have had the line-6 long past the return period, so that isn't an option.
    I've had numerous phone conversations and exchanged many emails with customer service and tech support representatives from Gibson, L.R. Baggs and Line-6.
    Long story short, that system won't work with that pickup unless wires are cut, re-arranged and re-soldered.
    I'm not committed to that particular unit so I sold it to our bass player.
    I am now in the market for another model wireless.
    Recommendations please.
    Thanks to all.

uriah1 likes this.
  2. Tele1966

Tele1966 Friend of Leo's

I recommend the G50. I own two of them. I use one for bar gigs (it's really beat up, the transmitter has dropped to the floor maybe 100 times and the floor receiver has had a drunk fall on or near it and it's been stepped on. One of the antennas got snapped off and I re-soldered it on). I bought a 2nd new G50 a couple years ago for larger outdoor stages.

Even though I recommend G50, here's what I don't like about it:

1) the cable connecting the transmitter to the guitar is a 4-Pin Mini Connector to 1/4" TS. I've had two of these cables fail (a Line 6 and a Shure) on the mini Connector side. As a result I always keep two new "Shure WA302 2.5-Feet Instrument Cable, 4-Pin Mini Connector (TA4F) to 1/4-Inch Connector" in my gig bag.

2) As a result of dropping/falling/being banged around I've had to open up the G50 to solder and repair. The soldering jobs and the disassembly, reassembly can be a little tricky. I'm not an engineer but just looking at the design inside and layout of parts inside doesn't give me a ton of confidence.

985plowboy likes this.
  3. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Holic

g30

OlRedNeckHippy likes this.
  4. Sean_D

Sean_D Tele-Meister

I'll be the third to recommend Lin 6's G series wireless systems. I have been using the G70 for over a year and it has far and away been the best wireless I have ever used. I really like the fact it is in a pedal format, is an A/B switch, a DI, and capable of connecting with multiple transmitters. It can also be programmed with different presets to switch channels... Outstanding unit.

5. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

No experience with, but I've had my eye on these, reviews are good, and they're inexpensive and are the "bugs" versus the beltpack things, which I think I like the idea of
    Xvive U2 rechargeable 2.4GHZ Wireless Guitar System

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4DSQBR/?tag=tdpri-20

Felino likes this.
  6. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Those look incredibly interesting.

7. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

Those look very intriguing. I'm still stapled to a mic stand because of singing, but it would be nice to have one less cord to worry about. The problem with something like the GCs for me is that I use a POD HD400 in lieu of an amp - wouldn't want the extra floor space taken up with a wireless receiver.
    Oh, and I noticed that it's $5 cheaper in grey than black.

8. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

Just pulled the trigger on the Xvive this morning. Sweetwater has already shipped it, so I should have it by the end of the week.

boredguy6060 likes this.
  9. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

FWIW, my XVive U2 arrived today. Quick initial review: no noticeable noise or signal degradation issues using it from one end of my house to the other (roughly 40 feet), with a door closed between me and my amp.
    Truer test will come tomorrow night at band practice. Let's see if the charge holds up for about 4 hours of straight usage.
    As mentioned before, I'll still be tethered because of wired IEMs and because I sing so much, but it will be nice to have one less cord to trip over. Plus, since I use a Pitchfork in front of my setup (for downtuned stuff), and that is a very light pedal, I won't end up dragging it around when I jump around like an idiot while playing. :cool:

Took maybe 10 minutes to charge when the unit arrived, via USB to computer.

10. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

The XVive held up beautifully through practice - ran it for 3.5-4 hours solid, and there was no issue. Latency not a problem. Stayed in the input jack of my tele despite my jumping around like a monkey on numerous occasions (did spin a little in the jack, but never came out).
    Just thought I'd share some first hand info with you guys in case you're on the fence about them.

Felino likes this.
  11. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Glad to hear the XVive is working well so far. I was looking at those as well but ended up going with the G10. I'm assuming it works with the Gibson that has the LR Baggs? And it's the G10's use of the ring portion of its TRS for charging that messes with the LR Baggs in stock configuration? Hmmm, I have an Anthem on my 12 string acoustic that I'll likely have the same problem with. May have to check that out while still in my return period because I was planning on installing another Anthem or an Anthem SL on another acoustic.

12. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Avoid the G30 like the plague... i had 2 transmitters quickly go bad. They suck.

13. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

Sorry, I can't confirm for certain it works with the Gibson. I would assume so, since the XVive is charged via micro USB, not by plugging the transmitter into the receiver like the G10. So the XVive tip is like a typical instrument cable.
    I've used it with my Ovation acoustic, my Ibanez Roadstar, and my tele. Only uitar I have that I haven't used it with yet is my PRS - I foresee no issues there.

14. Chud

Thanks, yep that would be my assumption of why its problematic with an active system. I'm going to check out the G10 with my Anthem equipped acoustic today and see if I need to reconsider the XVive.

15. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

Our bass player and myself have had G30s for almost 3 years now with no issues what-so-ever. We love them.

16. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I'm planning on getting a Shure GLX.

mr_big_trouble likes this.
  17. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

My G30 is 8 years old and I gigged it for years. No issues ever. Love it.

18. djh22

djh22 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Thanks Ron! Glad you're happy with it, and your experience has the real potential to move me off the fence.

19. Chud

Just confirmed I have the same issue with my LR Baggs Anthem equipped 12 string acoustic. I wonder if my beater acoustic with the old Fishman undersaddle would have the same issue?

boredguy6060 likes this.
  20. Chud

I think I'm returning the G10 today and moving to the XVive. The G10 is great for the electrics, but it doesn't work with any of my acoustics due to the powering issue.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.