Need printer recommendations

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jaybones, Apr 20, 2016.

1. jaybones

jaybones Friend of Leo's

I need to buy a new printer. I'd like one that is fairly fast, full color, and has cheap ink.

The one I'm replacing was an old HP 932C deskjet, I bought around Y2K. It was decent, held up a long time (obviously 16 years), fairly fast, full color but the ink was expensive.

I don't necessarily need a scanner, all in one kind of thing, but since they've become so cheap I wouldn't mind spending a little bit extra to have one. Budget is $100, preferably less.

I know Epson and Brother make good ones, HP is a reliable name brand (expensive ink though

2. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I work for HP developing printers, and....I recommend Epson. It's what I have sitting on my desk at work and what I used for printing Photos at home (until it finally croaked).

dleuen and ColonelPanic like this.
  3. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

I like a man that has confidence in his work. ;):D

4. Ironwolf

I did have confidence in it until they shifted all the manufacturing and testing to India and China. Trust me the quality has declined immensely. And if you are looking at one of HPs LaserJets, you can find precisely the same printer with a Chinese brand name on it for less than 20% of the price. It's even made in the same factory. The Chinese require that all technical details and design info that will be used for manufacturing in their country be turned over to the government, who then dole it out to their favored friends and cronies. It's why a Chinese copy of the Range Rover Evoque is made in the factory across the street from the one that is making the actual Evoque. And why it sells for about a third the price.

5. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

I have used Epson printers for years and have had no trouble with them. Printer life seems to be about 7 to 8 years and I only use the base, cheapest models. Ink cartridge costs are average but as they have seperate cartridges for each colour there is not a lot of wastage. Print quality is excellent even on the cheapest models and that applies to photos as well. If you go to the Epson website in your country you can often pick up carton damaged or factory seconds for up to 50% off.

6. Flash1909

Flash1909 Tele-Meister

$100 LOL

7. TelePhartz

TelePhartz Friend of Leo's

Cheap ink and inkjet printers don't happen. No such animal. I'd recommnend giving up the color (seriously, how much do you really need color?) and get a Brother laser. Fast, clean, toner is not "cheap" but lasts a long, long time.

8. dleuen

dleuen Tele-Meister

9. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Sorry, I can't help. I used Epson printers, inks and fine art papers, nothing cheap about it. What is it you're looking to print?

If you just want documents, take TelePhartz advice.

10. Ironwolf

I have a Brother mono-chrome Laser on my network that is about three years old and still running on the initial sample cartridge. I have a high-end wide format Canon Photo printer on the network that costs about a $100 bucks for a complete ink reload. I have an HP Officejet on the network that does general mixed printing plus scanning and faxing very well (it was one of the last that impressed me) and costs about $70 dollars to reload.

11. RL52

RL52 Tele-Meister

I was looking for a printer, another shopper I spoke to said he looks for the printer that doesn't use expensive ink.
    made sense.

12. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Avoid Epson. The printer is only $50 but the ink refills are $40 each and you will go through them quickly.
    I like Canon. Great quality, and you don't get screwed in refills.

13. Ironwolf

Epson ink can be expensive, but the print quality is unbeatable and the relative ink price will vary greatly with printer model and tank capacity (some models have different cartridge sizes available). Generally speaking the higher end the printer, the cheaper the actual ink cost.

14. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

A lot of new inkjet printers come with "sample" cartridges that are only partially filled. Over the years I've had 3 Epson printers, 1 Canon and 1 HP. My current one is an Epson. The Canon was OK from memory. My last printer was the HP, and I'll never buy one of those again. Complete junk. (Sorry Ironwolf)

I should also mention that an inkjet with four individual colour cartridges is much more cost effective than a printer with a combo colour cartridge.

15. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

When my HP 6500 series print head died a few years ago, I did the same search; inexpensive printer for occasional use, copy, scan, cartridges that won't break the bank, had to have Linux drivers available.

I ended up with an Epson XP-410, which cost me $80 at the time. I can get all four cartridges for about $35, or $55 for the XL versions, it prints, scans, and copies as well as I need it to. I do occasionally have to do a "head cleaning" cycle if the printer has not printed for a few weeks, or the output will be "skippy". At least the head cleaning cycle does not use ink; the old HP used to dump a ton of ink onto a page when you did the head clean.

The thing to look for - in my opinion - is a cartridge that has ink but not a print head. I prefer the cartridges that only have ink; some cheap printers have the print head in the cartridge, which makes replacements more expensive.

I had a friend years ago that used to buy a $35 printer, use it until the ink ran out, then buy another $35 printer. This was before the "partial fill new cartridge" as as prevalent as it is now. Not sure this was the best way to do this, but I understood his point.

16. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

For me it depends upon which model from those brands.

This can apply to a few brands. Some have extra high capacity ink options where it hurts to buy up front but costs less if you actually print.

Decent black laser printers don't cost much these days so that and a cheap photo printer's another good solution.

In the past year+ I've been doing this amazing method for selecting which product - asking my CDW rep what ones have lowest return rate. That was her idea whenever I was getting a low cost item for someone's home office.

:)

17. abrianb

abrianb Tele-Meister

18. Zipper

Zipper TDPRI Member

The first thing I do when shopping for printers. Find the lower or lowest cost ink for color and black and white replacement, then shop for the printer to use that ink.
    Works for me.

19. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

I went color laser a while back and never looked back.

I checked and this is not currently on sale, but often is for $169 and can be had for $149.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828142618

Worth the extra $$ to not have ink dry out between print jobs.

I will warn that refills cost more than the printer, but heck, just buy another printer. :D

Either way the small included print cartridges will last most people a couple of years.

20. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

The more you spend on a printer the cheaper the ink cartridges are. Seriously.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.