1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Need Pine Body Advice

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by dmarcus30, Jun 29, 2011.

1. dmarcus30

dmarcus30 Tele-Holic

I'd like to build a pine Tele and I'd like some input on what type of pine to use. Sugar pine? Eastern white pine? I'm looking for straight clear grain and light weight. Would pine take a Sonic Blue nitro paint job? Any advice and opinions are welcome. Thanks!

2. bmgblues

bmgblues Tele-Meister

Either sugar pine or eastern white pine are suitable. Both have great tone. Mke sure you sand and seal the body before you shoot the paint. Use nitrocellulose if you can. Try reranch for their sonic blue. Great results if you take your time. Read the tutorials on the Reranch site. Lots of good info. Also, take special care because pine is very soft and you can ding it very easily. An be sure to check the neck pocket for correct depth and width. This can vary between manufacturers.

3. RedDirt

RedDirt Tele-Meister

Sugar Pine is a much better material, but is 3X the price of Eastern White Pine. (raw lumber) There is a wide range of weight in both, so you can't just buy it blind. ( We reject 30% of the EWP we get in).

4. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

5. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

That's quite a sweeping statement and not entirely accurate - in my opinion. As RedDirt says there are enormous differences in quality between sugar and/or white pine and huge variables in weight, grain and suitability for a guitar body. And assuming the body wood type contributes to tone, then these factors need to be considered.

I've played swamp ash, alder and mahogany guitars which were dull and lifeless and the body wood type may have been a contributing factor. We've debated it many times over the last decade here on the TDPRI and never really come to a conclusion. Some say the body is an important, others argue pick ups, some believe the neck is where the tone lies and we've even debated whether pickguard material changes the tone. :D

My Pinecaster is extremely light and resonant and a pleasure to play and I'm sure the body wood plays a significant part in this:

[​IMG]

Good advice on the painting prep by the way.

:) Peter

6. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

There are a lot of varieties of "pine" out there depending on location. Dryness in terms of moisture content, weight, body quality, and looks are probably what you want to look at before other factors. I've been making pine tele bodies for over a decade using white pine from eastern forests. One piece bodies, at least in my experience with lumber cut from older trees, weigh in around 4 lbs or so. A two piece body body can weigh less. Read through the various pinecaster threads here in the forum ( there are quite a few of them) and you'll see how the looks can vary with the species. Tone is in the ear of the beholder. I'd guess that a well made guitar using void free timber and close tolerances on the fit of the parts will contribute to a nice sounding instrument. A coat of shellac before you paint will help to seal out any bleed through of sap that could ooze out into your top coat.

Here is a thread that really fueled the fire for pine here at tdpri.
    http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/55064-2nd-pinecaster-completed.html

Pine varieties:
    http://lifestyle.iloveindia.com/lounge/pine-tree-identification-1023.html

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  7. oldsoultroy

oldsoultroy Tele-Meister

Salvaged pine is the only pine for this guy here. I can't claimed to have used a WHOLE bunch of it, but compareds to "newer" white pine lumber I payed money for, the salvaged acient pine (white) I have used is far more resonant and alive tonewise. I am most positive it's the fact the sap is fully cured within the boards. I have had best luck finishing pine with behlen jet spray. sand to 220 and then "burnishing" moderetly with a old white t-shirt scrap before sealing and coating. But then again this may be my own rednecked idea of how to go about it- but it works!

8. Jet Troop

Jet Troop TDPRI Member

Where is a good source to pick up some pine boards for a body or a one piece body blank?

9. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Check out Ebay and search for a seller named OHLAR.

10. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have made great sounding teles from White Pine, Yellow Pine, and Sugar pine. Yellow is typically heavier, and usually prone to surface cracking.

11. Shepherd

Shepherd Friend of Leo's

Listen to guitarbuilder, he's the resident expert on pine bodies.

12. bjsa06

bjsa06 Tele-Meister

The names of pine you are mentioning are a bit vague to me. In Australia we grow Pinus radiata. Which I think is from California. Is this species of pine one of the ones anyone has mentioned in this thread?

13. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That is the Monterey Pine, and it is tree farmed in Australia. But I really don't know if it is a white, yellow or sugar pine. There are so many species of pines, we ussually just lump them into a few categories.

14. Flat357

Flat357 Banned

I've had a pine Tele for a good few years now, and found it to be quite heavy if I'm honest. I'm not 100% sure what type of pine it is, but you wouldn't want to drop her on your toe.

[​IMG]

15. RedDirt

RedDirt Tele-Meister

Radiata pine is fairly common for millwork, but not as "Lumber" I don't know of anywhere in the United States that it is offered in 8/4 thickness. It is harder that "white" pine, and has a fairly even grain. If you can get it thick enough (or glue it up) it would probably make a nice body.

16. dmarcus30

dmarcus30 Tele-Holic

Peter,
    Where did you get the "scalloped" pattern control plate?

Dan

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.