Need on/off switch for 9V Boss pedal

dswo

Tele-Holic
What I'm looking for seems fairly simple. I'd like an on/off switch that goes between a Boss pedal and its 9V power supply.

Yes, I know that unplugging one of the audio cables will turn it off, but that doesn't seem optimal. One more requirement for this simple on/off switch: it has to be something I can buy off the shelf and just plug in. I know many of the folks here build their own everything, and I admire them, but my attempts in this area have usually not worked and I'd rather spend my free time learning to play guitar rather than learning to solder.

Here's a similar switch that I use for a pedal that USB-powered:

Could anyone recommend something similar for a 9V pedal? Thank you in advance.

andy__d

Tele-Meister
Boss used to make a “Power supply and master switch” pedal: but I believe (but could be wrong) what it was switching off was the audio signal (acting as a bypass) not the power:

1659352504720.jpeg

andy__d

Tele-Meister
https://www.amazon.com/Inline-Switch-Cable,4PCS-5-5x2-1mm-Connector/dp/B07KMS3Q95/ref=asc_df_B07KMS3Q95?tag=bngsmtphsnus-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80608063730874&hvnetw=s&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584207590289688&psc=1

I’d suggest doing a search for “barrel connector switch”, to see if theres anything out there in non-guitar land that might work for the gauge of barrel connector that the Boss pedals uses. I found the above, suggesting that there is stuff out there, just need to find one the right size and confirm its specs to check it could handle the current/ voltage used by your pedals.

codamedia

Poster Extraordinaire
I'd like an on/off switch that goes between a Boss pedal and its 9V power supply.

Those 9v power supplies wear out over time because they are always converting when plugged in.... it's best to turn them off "before" the supply, not after. The easiest method is to use a power strip with an on/off. The pedals shut down when the supply does.

Of course, you probably have a good reason for doing it the way you want to... I'm just pointing out the "normal approach" for this.