Need new small bedroom amp advice

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Nadany, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Nadany

Nadany Tele-Meister

Hey guys,

I just got back into electric gtr after a few yrs without, and I'm in the market for a new amp. Right now, I have a Fender Frontman 25R, but I would like an amp that I can turn up a little more on the volume knob in the house. I feel it's just too loud. I can barely turn it up past 1 1/2 to 2 without my wife complaining. I know there's probably not too many options other than one of those battery-operated toy amps, but is there anything out there that can solve this problem? Thx.

I'm looking for a solid state amp mainly. Today I saw one of those Marshalls, I didn't catch the model number, it was rather small, and had what looked to be carbon fiber on it? Didn't have time to plug into it, but was interesting. Anyone try one of these?

2. mozzarate54

mozzarate54 Tele-Holic

Check out the fender mustangs or you could get the fender super champ tube it's really small and 15watts I believe there around $299

3. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

If it has a headphone jack, it would be best to just use that.

4. MonkeyKing

MonkeyKing Tele-Meister

Check out the Orange amps - the little SS crush pix - they only do one or two sounds well, but they`re handy.

5. Vortexan

Vortexan Friend of Leo's

Check out a fender g-dec and then you can have some backing tracks to play along to. They are not too loud.

6. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

Never heard one of these in person yet but these sound really good from the demos I have been checking out .... Yamaha THR10

7. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Your Frontman is too loud at 2? :eek: Really? If that's the case, I don't think that anything else in that combo amp category (low watt, SS, C-note price range) will work for you either.

I really like my Vox Pathfinder 15R for bedroom levels. I play through mine after the wife's gone to bed lots of times. And mozzarate54 recommended a Mustang I, which I've played through several times myself. I like the M-I better than the Frontman personally.

Another way to go might be the Mustang Mini, but $130 seems like a lot for a battery operated amp, the M-I is less. But again, if your FM 25R is too loud at 2, then I don't see these other amps solving your problem.

As alnicopu suggested, it sounds like your best bet is just to use the headphone jack on your FM 25R.

Or a headphone amp like the Vox amPlug + the amplug Cabinet. At $40 and $30, respectively, it's a fairly reasonable headphone option. I have the AC30 model amPlug, there are like 7 other models since I bought mine. Haven't tried them through the amPlug Cabinet, but it's a 0.7 watt mini cab w/ a 3" speaker.

If I were to go for a mini/headphone toy amp thing, I'd go with the Vox amPlug set-up. But it's pretty easy for me to say that, since I already have the amPlug. All I'd have to do is add the amPlug Cabinet.

8. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Not many better bedroom/apartment amps than a 25R IMHO. Has a great clean tone at low volume, a headphone/recording jack, and RCA inputs for backing tracks. You just have to get over the fact that you can't crank it.

9. mistermullens

mistermullens Poster Extraordinaire

Vox Pathfinder 15R. IMO, the best SS amp EVER!

10. oldteleguy

oldteleguy Tele-Afflicted

Blackstar HT-1R.I just got it today-it is a terrific choice!!!

11. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I love the Pathfinder 15R but I'm afraid that it will be too loud based on your explanation.

I've played the Yamaha THR5 at Guitar Center. I think it would be perfect for you. Neat little amp. Many good sounds.

THR5 info - link

12. maryjane

maryjane Tele-Afflicted

i just got wowed by the superchamp xd this afternoon.....definitely on my xmas list

check one out if you can...the most versatile amp in it's class, imho....

$299 in black $325 in seafoam green (or is it surf green?)

13. vrdyer

vrdyer TDPRI Member

Orange Micro - 20 watts. Unbelieveable sound for a small amp. Headphone jack. $149 but can be had for $120 on ebay. I got mine and plugged it into my Marshall 412. Great sustain and grit. Also has auxilary in. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzDohmkXeJs

If you must have a little do it all, the the Fender Mustang II is also quite amazing. You don't need pedals. Plus it has a USB out and an auxiliary in. $175 at MF and you can use their code to get an extra 10% off. 40 watts, 12 inch speaker, effects a plenty. Closed back.

14. BoogerRooger

BoogerRooger Poster Extraordinaire

Definitely worth investigating, a fantastic sounding amp at domestically acceptable volume!

15. Cooper Black

Cooper Black Tele-Afflicted

Super Champ XD -- Channel 1 (Clean) gets loud pretty fast (around 2-1/2) but man does it sound great! Channel 2 holds all the amp sim models. Plenty of those work very well at quiet bedroom volume. Loud enough to jam with friends (if you do that).

16. winny pooh

winny pooh Friend of Leo's

The Roland microcube is great, also good for taking on holiday.

17. CaptainSensible

CaptainSensible Tele-Meister

If you don't mind modeling, I'd recommend a Fender Mustang amp. Otherwise, a Vox Pathfinder, which is the best $110 you'll spend on an amp. Both have a headphone jack for after hours jamming.

18. Michel347

Michel347 Tele-Meister

Lots of good suggestions already made.

Just to add one, and I never tried it, but I'm looking at trying one, is the Vox Lil' Night Train, can work with headphone as well.

19. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

I assume you mean that you want to get more crunch/effects without getting to loud. If so then pedals are your friend. Oddly enough I just went out and bought a new Frontman 25R just to have a practice amp with headphones. I get all the tones I need (especially through the headphones) using my pedal board. Very nice way to go. My advice is rather than buying a new practice amp you might want to check out some inexpensive pedals. GFS, Joyo, and Biyang are a great place to start looking. Amazing pedals for small $'s.

20. Turtletwang

Turtletwang Tele-Meister

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.