need Knowledge about 1966 telecaster

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by sickbunny, Dec 8, 2019.

1. sickbunny

sickbunny TDPRI Member

This guitar has been in my family since before I was born. There was an old thread, that I unfourtnately revived (my apologies for reviving it, I'm pretty new and got ahead of myself I don't use a lot of fourms), because I got excited when it was similar to my guitar.

What I do know is that the pickups were changed sometime in I believe the 90's by my dad. Besides that I'm not sure. My dads story is that it was custom made for someone back in 66, his bandmate acquired it somehow ( possibly lost in a poker game) and when said bandmate passed away in the early 70's it was given to my dad (he has a fender p bass, and flying V bass, that was once a guitar smashed into a bunch of pieces that he fixed back up, he was obvioulsy the bass player in the band) anyway... back on topic. based on the photos, what can anyone tell me about this guitar. Any and every thing is much appreciated.

20191207_230610.jpg 20191207_230635.jpg 20191207_230655.jpg 20191207_230827.jpg 20191207_230919.jpg 20191207_230942.jpg 20191207_231406.jpg 20191207_231750.jpg 20191207_231804.jpg

CWP0126 and SecretSquirrel like this.
  2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

The neck and body appear legit, as does the bridge and neck plate. These can be faked - it'd be good to see under the pickguard and in the cavities.

The tuners, pickguard, neck and bridge pickup (Strat) and two stringtrees are not original. Someone put in the diamond neck position markers. It's been refretted with jumbo frets

3. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

+ refinished, because I really do not think Fender offered that kind of finish option in 66.

sickbunny likes this.
  4. sickbunny

sickbunny TDPRI Member

thank you Dacious for a fast reply :)
    cavities where shielded when my dad changed the pickups ( I assume he was the one who shielded them at least) (trying to get the originals from him just to have them) But will post those pictures as soon as I can. I had the whole thing apart earlier to clean it and forgot about taking those pictures before I put it back together.
    I can add that I've seen pictures of this guitar from the 70's and it's identical to what these pictures are. I grew up with the guitar on display in our house (oddly no one in my family plays guitar, about the only instrument we can't play) It's hardly been touched for decades, except by my ex who stole it out of it's case and traveled cross country with it to try and sell it. Besides a few dings he didn't damage it too much thankfully.

I don't know if it's noticiable in the pictures but the tuners are grover ( sneaking suspicion they weren't orginal, But not sure if original owner put them on or if my dad did)

5. sickbunny

sickbunny TDPRI Member

Regarding the finish, Was it alteast done well, or is there anyway I can tell for sure ? This guitar has had that finish since before I was born in 1985, and have seen from pictures. so I can say that if it was refinished it was done sometime after it was bought to roughly 1969 - 1970, around the time my dad got it.

6. Dacious

The tuners are not original but a common era mod.

If that is natural there will be a stamp somewhere.

images.jpeg

SecretSquirrel and sickbunny like this.
  7. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

Contact Gruhn guitars.

sickbunny likes this.
  8. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

It's clearly refinished because the factory stamps and scribbles are gone from the neck pocket and that newspaper thing is not original.

Also the Grovers are very weird, they are the big kind which are not often seen on 6-in-line headstocks. Could be taken from two sets of 3+3, but I'm not an expert in Grover history.

Did it need any routing for the strat neck pickup?

Could be fun to mod that guitar.

sickbunny and EsquireBoy like this.
  9. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

The stripped natural wood look was really a thing in the 70’s, so this guitar is like a testimony of that era (+ the Grover tuners indeed).
    It’s hard to see from the pictures, but the finish does not look like nitro lacquer to me: it seems thicker and there’s no checking visible. So I guess it’s a poly finish. Nevertheless it seems to have been applied professionally, and certainly does not look bad at all on the pictures.

The guitar obviously has great sentimental value for you, and it’s a cool looking tele. The rest does not matter really much.

sickbunny likes this.
  10. sickbunny

sickbunny TDPRI Member

The head of the neck has checking (had to look that up) and finish is obviously soft, the body does not have checking, it does have some areas of dents and where the finish looks like it got gouged out but over all a harder finish. I'm going to say it's safe to say the neck is most likely nitro and the body poly.

Sentimental value yes which makes it hard to let go, have been saying I'm going to sell it for the last 5 years already lol.

I do believe I've dated the grovers to the 60's, based on the pat pend spaced further inside.

I'll be checking further, but I'm 70% certain it doesn't have strat pickups. My dad told me what they were years ago and it's on the tip of my tongue... but strat doesn't sound right.... I could be wrong though. I'll post pictures of the pickups and cavities later today. Here's a closer pic of the tuners for now, until I can get the rest. 20191207_230610.jpg

SecretSquirrel likes this.
  11. sickbunny

sickbunny TDPRI Member

More pictures of the cavities and pickups as best I could get.
    The pickguard also has sheilding on the back of it.

20191209_153403.jpg 20191209_153428.jpg 20191209_153436.jpg 20191209_153517.jpg 20191209_153533.jpg 20191209_153704.jpg 20191209_153723.jpg 20191209_153913~2.jpg

12. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

So it looks like the neck pickup is actually a Tele bridge pickup?
    How did he get the Strat pickup covers on to the Tele pickups?
    There appears to be a switch on the volume pot--what does it do?
    In my experience, to get full-size Grovers into the tuner peg holes of a Fender, the tabs which the screws go through have to be ground off. Is this the case on your guitar?
    Lots of "custom" stuff, but it looks like it could be a nice guitar.
    Good luck with it.

13. Dacious

Lennon's MSG/Elton John Tele had fullsize Grovers plus the neck PAF.

14. sickbunny

sickbunny TDPRI Member

As far as I know my dad didn't put strat pick up covers on tele pick ups. My dad always went on and on and on about how much he hated the sound of tele pickups so swapped them out. After taking these pictures I'm just confused now. The bridge pick up doesnt have any markings at all so no idea who made it. The neck pick up has a marking of what looks like 18 1073 or 1078 (the 0 could also be a 6 maybe)... but I do know that the pick ups are not the original 66 pick ups.

No ideas about the switch you speak of on the volume pot, but if I had to guess it doesn't do anything. My dad had a habit of never finishing things so at one point it was going to have a purpose but he never got around to it, then again maybe not :) . I'll look more into it though. He liked tinkering and putting things back together.

For the tuners I'm not sure, when you say they needed to ground down what exactly does that mean ?

15. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The bridge pickup looks like a Strat pickup that somebody doctored up a bit and put a Tele baseplate on it so they could mount it up the same way as the original would have been.

bender66, sickbunny and radiocaster like this.
  16. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

On a 6-in-line Fender neck the peg holes are close enough together that the tabs on the Grover tuners, through which the small screw is installed to hold the tuner in place, will interfere with installation, so they have to be removed, one way or other.
    Are the screws present on the tuners on the back of the peghead?

sickbunny likes this.
  17. sickbunny

sickbunny TDPRI Member

I took a look and they are, done in a way so that they just touch the preceding tuner. Definetley don't notice it unless you're looking for it. If one looks really closely at the picture I posted of the head/tuners you can just make out that they were ground down.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    Teleguy61 likes this.
  18. sickbunny

sickbunny TDPRI Member

Is there anything I can do to tell what's going on with the bridge pick up, the white cover does remove easily, and underneath is a black pick up. Can't find any markings on it. Is it possible to separate the base plate and look. I'm curious what pick ups are actually on this guitar, it's interesting that although not original tele pickups they still could be fender pickups, I was always under the impression they weren't.

19. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Friend of Leo's

They're definitely old school Fender pickups. The neck pickup has a date ink stamped on it and I'm willing to bet the bridge pickup does too and that both came out of the same guitar. I wouldn't bother tho with removing the bridge pickup from the plate to see the date.
    As someone mentioned previously, it is a Fender strat pickup that has been mounted to a Fender tele bridge pickup plate. These strat pickups look to be late 60's to early 70's (pre '74) as they have grey fibre bobbins and staggered pole piece magnets. They are easily worth $100 each if not more and they probably sound really nice.

sickbunny likes this.
  20. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Friend of Leo's

I just re-read your above post.. the ink stamped number indicates the year 1973. (last 2 digits are the year) Can't be 1978 as the pole pieces would be flush and not staggered. Don't remove the white cover from either pickup as there's a risk of damaging the pickup coil (windings) same goes for removing the bridge strat pickup from the base plate. Not as great of risk but there's nothing to be gained from doing that and a risk of damaging the pickup. The reason I believe both pickups are the same vintage and probably out of the same guitar is that back then there weren't aftermarket strat pickups and parts readily available - that came later on in the 70's (assuming the guitar was modified then. Even should the modifications have taken place in the late 70's early 80's most folks just used borrowed parts from another guitar.

bender66, sickbunny and Teleguy61 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.