Need input on Jagcaster

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by ReverendRevolver, Jun 15, 2021.

1. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Friend of Leo's

I've always (ok, since age 12) wanted a jaguar. I loved the neck, the body shape was perfect, and the switches were super cool. They were also out of my price range as a teenager, and there were never used ones, just ones from the 60s and brand new ones, locally.

Now it's still on the short list of guitars I want, but I'm not as much a fan of the trem on them as a mustang, and while the pickups and switches are cool, I really just want a tele bridge and bridge pickup with a jag neck pickup.

So, build a partscaster, right? Well, jags all have a jaguar tremelo and bridge, or a tune-o-matic. I'm cool with routing a body a bit and installing a bridge, but it gets dicey here:

Where exactly would a tele bridge need to go on a jaguar body with a jaguar neck to be properly set up and intonated?

If it's the same as a jazzmaster, picking up an offset tele/jazzcaster body would work, then new neck and pickups, done. I dont think it will though.

I'm also not certain which hardtail jaguar would work best. Maybe I have to find one with a tune-o-matic bridge and shop for a tele Bigsby bridge?

What would be the most practical way to create a partscaster/mod a jaguar into having a tele bridge?

2. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

24” scale length for the Jag so the bridge saddles need to be 24” away from the nut. That is how I understand it.

Steve Holt likes this.
  3. oregomike

oregomike Tele-Meister

Not sure if you've already seen this, but just searched for jagcaster and https://www.byoguitar.com/Guitars/BYO-Custom-Shop-Jagcaster-Body__BYO-CS-JC.aspx

4. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

It won't be the same as a jazzmaster! Those have a 25.5" scale compared to the 24" scale on a jag.

However, say you buy a telecaster jazzmaster body and throw a jazzmaster neck in it, you won't need to worry about bridge placement. If all you're doing is adding a jag pickup that is.

5. ReverendRevolver

Wheres the measurement taken fro. At the bridge? I know that sounds weird, but the saddles adjust, so theres a bit of grey area. For example, from end of nut to the furthest extended saddle on my mustang with a toronado bridge is 24"dead on. Is that the measurement points I aim for?

Yes, and apparently I bookmarked it. Haven't taken a stab at finishing in about 16 years, so if I go that route, itd probably be all thick shiny poly. Is a mim jag neck a strat or tele neck pocket?

Thanks for replies so far

6. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Generally you aim for the median length and leave room for bridge adjustment + and -. Measuring an actual Jag is probably the best as many 24.75 guitars really aren't. IIRC Gibson is more like 24.62

ReverendRevolver likes this.
  7. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Many of us move the saddles forward about 80 % of the saddle travel and put the break over point of the string on the scale length measurement. That gives you a lot of room to intonate and a bit of wiggle room for human error on bridge placement. Intonation won't be less than the scale length. What you don't want to happen is to run out of room to intonate going away from the nut. Jazzmaster and Jaguar bridges are limited in this travel distance by design. On one of these I had to remove the high e spring to intonate. Lesson learned for the next one.

flash (1).jpg

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  8. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

Warmoth sells both custom Jaguar bodies and necks. You could spec exactly what you want. I bet other companies do too. Or am I missing something here.

9. ReverendRevolver

I think I'm going to need to measure some jags, but I might be able to mount a tele bridge on a standard jaguar and block down the tremelo parts.

Waiting on the used market to come down a bit lowers the price $200ish compared to just buying parts. For perspective, early last year used price on a MiM jag was just under $500, which is also the current cost of a MiM neck plus an unfinished ash or alder body.

10. ReverendRevolver

They do, but cost double+ what other companies charge for bodies, and the necks run about as high as some used US fender ones.

And yes, youd have to custom spec it, thier jag bodies are jag routes, jazzcaster bodies tele scale routed.

Edit: I will say that I'd originally thought of Warmoth as a way to get a tele headstock shape on this abomination, but the extra cost was certainly a deterrent.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    etype likes this.
  11. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

I have assembled three JagStangs for a friend. The were Warmoth bodies and necks bought without any route for the bridge. My friend likes Kahler bridges (so do I!) and I routed for them. Here are two of the bodies

IMG_5074.JPG

I locate any bridge so the breakpoint at the farthest forward adjustment is at the uncompensated scale. Here is the location for the Kahler bridge

IMG_5067.JPG

Let me know if that doesn't make sense.

IMG_5093.JPG

12. ReverendRevolver

So measure from adjustment point closest to bridge pickup to nut, correct?

Also, are those sliders on the jagstang top coil-full pickup-bottom coil?

13. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

Adjust the bridge to its farthest forward (towards the neck) position and put that right over the uncompensated scale length with is the measurement from the nut to the center of the 12th fret times two. For most JagStangs it is 24.00 inches but check your neck.

Actually of the three guitars I put together for him he used three different combinations of pickups and tone circuits. I would have to go back an look at the wiring diagrams, I just followed what he asked for. Here is another Jag with a ToM bridge which I had never seen before and two pots set sideways. Again, I don't remember how they worked, I would have to look at the wiring diagram

IMG_6541.JPG

IMG_6543.JPG

One thing I do remember from all of these guitars is that both the Kahler and ToM required some angle shimming of the neck. Half a degree for the Kahlers, a piece of pickguard material for the ToM.

I think the ToM guitar was built that way by Fender, don't know if the shim was from the factory.

IMG_6545.JPG

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.