need information on my CS tele

tuningmachine1980

TDPRI Member
I purchased a custom shop Dan Smith R&B classic in 94, back of headstock reads R&B classic, #4 of 20, and Dan Smith signature on front. Has neck thru body, P-90 neck pickup, a black Lace sensor in middle, and stock tele bridge pick up. Unable to gain any info from Fender, if anyone has one of the other 19, would like to hear from you.

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Welcome and enjoy.
Was not familiar with Dan Smith Strats.

tuningmachine1980

TDPRI Member
Yes, sounds correct so far. P-90 neck pickup, black Lace sensor in middle, and stock tele bridge pickup. Custom shop logo on back of headstock stating R&B classic, number 4 of 20

Duncan

Tele-Meister
I can tell you that R&B stands for Rich Briere. He was the Fender Sales Rep for the upper state NEW York area. He commissioned the run of these for the Custom Shop dealers in his area.

I don't remember too many details about these, but he did ask Dan Smith to spec out a guitar he'd like to have, and Dan came up with these details.

tuningmachine1980

TDPRI Member
I can tell you that R&B stands for Rich Briere. He was the Fender Sales Rep for the upper state NEW York area. He commissioned the run of these for the Custom Shop dealers in his area.

I don't remember too many details about these, but he did ask Dan Smith to spec out a guitar he'd like to have, and Dan came up with these details.
Thank you for the information, it is helpful.

Duncan

Tele-Meister
FWIW, if you didn't know, you just got info from someone who definitely knows what he's talking about....;)

It's a bit of a fluke, but I happened to be traveling with Rich Briere through his territory the week these guitars started coming into his dealers. And every Custom Shop dealer we talked too was mentioning their guitars coming in after a bit of a wait. If I had not been out there, I probably wouldn't know about these. I was working elsewhere at Fender for a few years, and this was prior to me working in the shop.

I remember the set neck, the mahogany, and the crazy pickup assortment as being quite different. (Crazy and different in a good way) :)

And another fluke is that I have one of the other Dan Smith Strats mentioned in this thread. It's the production model, and it does not say Dan Smith on it. I believe mine has a 1981 or '82 date on it.