1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Need Information On How to Look Up My Strat History By Serial Number

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by OldDogAviator, Feb 3, 2021.

1. OldDogAviator

OldDogAviator TDPRI Member

I have a USA made Strat, I think it is dated around 1992, and I would like to look up it's history. I bought it from a friend, used, a few year ago, and am wondering if there is a way to find history information, such as previous owners (s), value, (it is in very good shape, no scratches) and date of mfg, etc.? It is in the origional Fender brand hard shell case.

Boreas likes this.
  2. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I don't know how that would be possible. However you should be able to get most of the factory build info by sending a note to Fender with your Ser# to <[email protected]>. They got back to me in less than 24 hours.

Valuation is of course subjective. If you have a dealer nearby they could look it up in the Bluebook and give you an in-hand estimate, but if you contact Bluebook directly, you typically have to pay.

Fretting out likes this.
  3. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

With a serial number check, the most you are reliably able to get from Fender is original date and specs (which you already know because you own it...but it can let you know if there has been a body swap or refinish). It's possible Fender might be able to tell you what retailer originally purchased it, but don't count on it.

Fretting out likes this.
  4. Boreas

Yeah, the one I got last week didn't mention retailer.

5. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

Yes; it's not something they just hand over when you send them a serial number. I am not sure whether they would if you tried follow-up questions. I would think they have a record of where each one originally went, though.

Boreas likes this.
  6. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

All good advice - but if your guitar is a 1992 they probably won't have serial number data on it. It seems like their searchable database only goes back to about mid-1993. Evidently they got a new computer system for inventory control at that point; the older data either was on a different and incompatible system or was stored in hard copy and has been lost/destroyed over the years. They might be able to get you a generic spec sheet - but they can't look up the serial number and tell you "it was an American Standard, black with a maple fingerboard neck" like they can for guitars in the serial number database.

teleplayr and Boreas like this.
  7. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

One can register serial numbers with Fender, so theoretically Fender might know a previous owner, however it's unlikely that any owners other than an original owner would register it.

It is also not information Fender would share with you for privacy reasons.

Fretting out likes this.
  8. Boreas

Yeah, I assume this is highly classified info for Leo's eyes only. I think this is true for any manufacturer/wholesaler. I wish it was like a vehicle VIN lookup where it lists by city or state each registration, inspection, major accident, etc..

9. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

I missed that in the OP's post where he was looking for previous owners - you're correct that Fender wouldn't share that.

The serial number records I was speaking of are things like color, fretboard wood, and possibly the dealer it was shipped out to. They would never tell you a customer's name, address, etc.

Blues Twanger and Boreas like this.
  10. Shnook

Shnook Tele-Meister

Just take the neck off and see what dates are on the body/neck. Value? Compare used prices for the year/model on Reverb and EBay. Previous owners names...why?

11. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Afflicted

Not to be goofy or jerky, but how would any manufacture know who owned a guitar unless the original person came into the factory and bought it? Which is not very likely since they use retailers to sell their guitars.

And then once it's sold it's not like joes pawn shop sends a note to Fender whenever they sell one of their guitars and who they sell it to. Or people sometimes sell to friends, etc. None of that is going to be common knowledge. With a car it's different cuz it's titled with every owner. But I wouldn't even know how you would get your motor vehicle department to bark up that info.

But yeah, Fender might be able to tell you the original specs of it. But like one someone said, that could prove difficult too. It doesn't hurt to try though.

Can we get a picture of it? I got a pbass made in 1996 and love it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.