1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Need information on a Squier Tele model

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by SixStringSlinger, Sep 5, 2019.

1. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

There's a Squier Tele on local Craigslist I may be interested in, but I'd like more information on it first (the seller doesn't seem to know much about it). Here's the pic:

[​IMG]

According to the seller, it a 1989 Squier Telecaster. Black, maple fretboard, tortoiseshell pickguard (or something that's supposed to look like TS). Typical-looking pickup configuration. Bigsby trem that says "Bigsby" on it (rather than the Fender "F") with what looks like a Jazzmaster/Jaguar-type bridge (that is, six saddles with the whole thing sitting on two posts that go into the body, and presumably are supposed to rock back and forth when you wiggle the trem).

Any ideas on what model this could be? I'm interested in the usual physical details (neck shape, radius, fret size etc.) as well as details on the bridge and electronics. The asking price is great almost regardless of any of that, so I'm not concerned about value. It would be for a project, anyway.

Naturally I'll want to play before I pay, but it would be a bit of a drive so I'd like some information, first.

2. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

appears to be an add on Bigsby arrangement, but I'm not sure since it's a Squier. Hey it's only gas, get to meet a fellow player, try out their rig and see if you like it.
    I'd go for a drive unless you are catching hell from this Hurricane we are enjoying so much here in North Carolina.

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  3. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I'd say a lot of added parts. Is the price about what you'd pay for a regular used Squier Tele? Then it's probably a good deal.

That tort pickguard looks similar to the ones I swapped onto a Strat and Tele (MIM) pair and those pickguards are $10 off ebay. There are some import Bigsby Trems for under $25-$40, at least they look like Bigsby trems so go on ebay and look them up to compare to pictures here plus compare to Bigsby website pictures.

When you're there looking at the guitar, unscrew the control plate and look to see if the pots are the small import with import switch or if those were upgraded to CTS/CRL parts. If upgraded then the pickups may have been upgraded by a prior owner too (but don't try peeking for those).

Squier necks to me are too skinny, a few of the China made Tele necks are chunkier but no identifying marks to know for sure, so it's a test kind of thing.
    If you are getting it 'for a project' then you can swap around any parts on it anyway, so the neck is less of an issue.

4. SixStringSlinger

The ad said "first offer over $150 takes it", so that's hard to beat, almost no matter what.

My idea was to turn it into an Esquire. I've always thought a Tele with a Bigsby would be cool, and I've thought about getting a cheap Tele to put a Bigsby on, since the only options with a stock Bigsby seem to be Fenders (expensive) and Cabronitas (which I'm not really interested in). And I already have a typically-appointed Tele, so that's an opportunity to make this one into something different.

Anyway, that would mean re-wiring (and probably just changing out the guts completely), perhaps a new pickup, and a new pickguard. Maybe a new trem down the line if this is one of the "cheap" ones and I want to upgrade. But I would hope that the neck is to my liking, and that the playability (or at least the potential) is there.

5. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Not saying the neck is original to the body, but this looks like a modded Squier Cabronita body. Any chance there is a control plate on the back? Then it would be that for sure.

6. SixStringSlinger

I'm going to ask if the seller can get me some more pics.

One detail I forgot, he says it's made in Korea.

7. SixStringSlinger

Found this on Squier-Talk...

upload_2019-9-6_9-19-50.png

Hard to tell from the pic, but I'm almost sure the logo is not black; more likely silver or gold. No mention of Bigsby's, but I'll research the models mentioned and see if any of them came with Bigsby's.

8. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

AFAIK, Squier never made a Bigsby outfitted production model. The cost of the Bigsby and the extra body work would be cost prohibitive. I'm willing to go on record on the never a Squier Bigsby thing.

EDIT--and I'm wrong.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  9. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

For a hundred and fifty bucks I'd just go get it and figure out what it is exactly later.

10. zammie

zammie TDPRI Member

^^ this

150 for a Korea Squier is great IMO, provided no surprises i.e. damage of any kind. The Bigsby and the rest of it is gravy.

bender66 and nojazzhere like this.
  11. SixStringSlinger

I'm inclined to agree, aside from the Squiers-never-having-a-Bigsby thing, only because I'm not one to know that.

Here are some more pics, for the curious:

upload_2019-9-6_10-38-15.png

upload_2019-9-6_10-38-24.png

upload_2019-9-6_10-38-30.png

upload_2019-9-6_10-38-37.png

No back cavity on the body. Looks like the tuners are not original; they look unusual and I think I see screw holes from whatever was on there before.

hemmings and stevemc like this.
  12. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

13. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Yes, I agree: that's a fair price for the bigsby alone, if it's a B5. And a little less if it's a B50.
    If nothing's wrong with it, I'd say buy it now and ask questions later)

14. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

I stand corrected. Forgot about the Cabronita (since this was a regular tele), didn't know about the FSR.

15. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

A full day is too long for a decent deal like this to last. It's a $200 Bigsby bridge and whamulator on what may be a Squier Standard. If it's still there, go try it right now and have cash with you.

16. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

It's a B50, worth $100 new. In any case, it won't last long unless it's in an area with a very low population.

archetype likes this.
  17. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

The ONLY Squier telecaster with Bigsby installed from the factory was the Vintage Modified Cabronita (with Bigsby version).
    Cabronita met Bigsby.jpg

18. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

Looks like someone replaced the original trapezoidal tuners on there and has angled them back to use some of the existing holes.

Those trapezoidal tuners point to it being a Korean Squier from the mid to late 1990s, especially with the all maple neck.

19. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Friend of Leo's

Late '80's MIK Squier tele's like MIJ ones were top loaders so the the Bigsby is aftermarket. Looks like the previous owner(s) basically upgraded the guitar. Those appears to be Schaller tuners. A good chance the electronics have been upgraded as well. The body is most likely plywood tho I owned one that had an ash body. See whether you can get the seller to take a photo of the control cavity... you'd could see the electronics and whether the body is ply.
    For ~ $150 tho, its a good deal IMB. Good luck!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  20. SixStringSlinger

I'm going to buy the guitar, it's just a matter of working out the logistics to pick it up.

I'm still curious about exactly what guitar this is, though. I know Fender is great about providing info. based on serial numbers. However, in case this isn't helpful, what should I take pics of to see if you all can tell me anything else about it? I'm thinking neck pocket, cavities etc.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.