Need house A/C advice

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
One of these, $5, is a valuable tool for monitoring the health of your AC: Taylor 5989NFS Dial Pocket Thermometer.

Mine pokes through the insulated duct leaving the AC. 60 degrees = healthy . . . 74 degrees = running 24/7.

meat.jpg

Old Verle Miller

Tele-Meister
Usually very dry air here in SoCal, so I use a swamp cooler. I know in some parts of the country they don't work. But on a REALLY dry day, with low dew point it can be over 100 outside and in the high 60's inside. No thermostat, so I have to manually turn it on and off.

I actually HAVE a thermostat, but I have to cut a hole in the wall, install a new gang box and outlet, and yadda yadda yadda

it's on the to do list. ANYWAY if you're in a dry part of Texas you might wanna look into a swamp cooler. They're very inexpensive to run compared to A/C. When I do use the A/C the bill goes up $300 a month......
Not much of the population centers of TX are conducive to evaporative coolers, and there are some places where there ain't enough water to save the grass, let alone run a swamper!

Old Verle Miller

Tele-Meister
Obviously it has been hot here in Texas and today my downstairs zone starts heating up. Running but getting warmer. Heat of the day. I have been keeping it warmer lately, about 78.

I've turned it to fan only figuring it has frozen up. I went into the attic opened the shut off and could see water flowing. I poured some bleach in and well see how it is in the morning. At has been keeping it nice at 78 with outside temps in the mid to high 90's.

Probably call the A/C guy tomorrow to check things out.

Anything else I should do in the interim besides sweat or move to the other part of the house?
78? Warm? That would be uncomfortably cold for us.

RetiredUnit1

Tele-Holic
Not much of the population centers of TX are conducive to evaporative coolers, and there are some places where there ain't enough water to save the grass, let alone run a swamper!
Yeah I just thought I'd throw that out there. Running whole house A/C used to cost us $300. But that was in the 90's. Probably would be at least $500 now, but they don't sell the gas to recharge it anymore and I'm not about to shell out ANOTHER $7000 to replace.