Need help with these small tube amps from Fender

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by fred4321, Apr 1, 2017.

1. cboutilier

cboutilier Tele-Afflicted

You should be able to find a used Princeton Reverb Reissue or clone for around the top end of your budget.

2. Treeface

Treeface Tele-Meister

Some of these amps seem overkill for pure home use. The Yamaha THR series, small and tubeless though it may be, is plenty loud enough for your needs. My THR10 is, without question, the single best piece of gear I've ever purchased.

Honest Charley likes this.
  3. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I'll chime in with JustABluesGuy. You need to listen to as many amps as possible to hear what flavor of tube amp that you like. I feel your pain Fred4321, I too would would love a Princeton, but I live off the grid, so I had to find other solutions and must have tubes. Like JustABluesGuy, I ended up with three amps as well to satisfy my amp needs. I use both a Greta and a VHT Special 6 Ultra ("Fendery" 6V6 6watt) head through a 1x 10 cab. Plus I have an old Champ 12 for my loud 6L6 clean headroom/pedal foundation. I'm very satisfied now, but that is just me. I could rave all day about the VHT, but I will throw another in for you. If you like the sound of EL84 power tubes (and you will only know by playing one) try the Bugera V5. I think this one is a sleeper with reverb, but I personally just can't get along with EL84s. Hope that helps FWIW.

Good luck and have fun trying out different amps.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  4. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

BTW, after I had sworn off SS amps, I tried a Yamaha THR (the cream colored one) and it is spectacular. I could easily seeing owning one someday for playing on the deck, but I don't think I could live with it as my only amp. Right now, I think I could go through life with just the VHT S6U. Again though, just me.

5. elmoscafeo

elmoscafeo Tele-Afflicted

I love my TSA15H! Beautiful clean tone. Takes any pedal that I put in front of it. If the TSA sounds like an option for you, keep in mind that the FX Loop isn't a typical FX Loop. Instead of inserting FX between the pre-amp and power amp, the TSA15H FX Loop inserts between the Tube Screamer and the pre-amp. Nonetheless, its very functional.

6. CK5150

CK5150 Tele-Meister

+1 on this. While not a tube amp you can get some nice "tubey" sounds out of it. Without a doubt the best tone I've ever heard out of a solid state amp. Plus you'll have some $$$ left over.

Honest Charley and Obsessed like this.
  7. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

I've heard people say that it sounds a lot like a Princeton non reverb. Never having played a Princeton, I can't confirm or deny this, but it does sound very "fendery" to me.

8. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Hi,

I own both a SCX2 and a THR10 (blues version). Both are very good.

The SCX2 has a whole array of Fender sounds (clean and less so). It has a USB out, so you can record easily with it and play it through headphones (and a computer). It is NOT "all-tube", not even on channel one. The signal always goes through the DSP. But this should not deter you. It sounds great, at all volume levels, and you can even (borderline) gig it. All in all, great little amp and massive bang for the buck.

The THR is more of a practice/travel amp. Easier to use for silent practice and home playing (direct headphones out, with an aux in). Plenty of nice sounds. Smaller footprint. I feel it's a bit less of an "amp", but if you're playing at home only it's an attractive option.

You can't go wrong with either!

9. Clinchriver

Clinchriver Tele-Meister

Cry once, nothing else will come close. Not sure how much crunch your going to get out of a Princeton without a pedal. The right pedal its heaven.

KnopflerStyle and JustABluesGuy like this.
  10. mckeeiain

mckeeiain Tele-Meister

Have a SC X2 and love it, but felt the need to upgrade the speaker. Just bought an all tube combo (traynor ygl1) and find it covers fender tone well enough but still keep my x2 around and use it

11. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

I know that the tube vs SS is debated here but for only home playing a good Peavey Studio pro or banit would serve your tone quest well.... And much cheaper... They are not digital they are all analog. I have a tweed deluxe and I won't hesitate to use my studio pro to gig with. Just giving options.....

richey88 likes this.
  12. fred4321

fred4321 Tele-Meister

Thanks for all the good info here.
    Has got me thinking that I did not realise there are many more alternatives out there.

I had a look at the Ibanez TSA15H. Looks very interesting and a good demo here:

Would love a Mesa but out of reach. I keep looking on ebay a lot.
    The Yamaha THR caught my eye I must admit.
    I looked at the Blackstar HT1R - not sure about the overall volume. Maybe not loud enough for jamming?
    I'll go and have a play with the Vox AC10, but my experience with Vox is that the P90's don't sound too great. But I bought my Tele playing through a Vox AC15-it was the cleans when strumming that sold the guitar.
    BTW: I was looking at Aussie amps and found the Vase Amp site.
    Here is a link to a demo with a Tele:

Out of my budget unfortunately.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    dannyh and JustABluesGuy like this.
  13. AlabamaOutlaw

AlabamaOutlaw Tele-Meister

I have a Vibro Champ XD, the 5w 6v6 for the bedroom. Love this thing man! Whole lotta amp for the $150 the go far used... Ive used a bigger speaker and also used the direct out straight into a pa with results you cannot beat for the price of admission. Light as a feather and you can leave your board at home, the effects are good.

blkpwdr and JustABluesGuy like this.
  14. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

Out of the fred4321 list the Pro Jr.
    (but I recommend the Boss Katana 50 !)

boredguy6060 likes this.
  15. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

My mate has recently started stocking Strauss amps. They are Chinese copies of popular tube designs, imported by Jade. I don't know anything about them except that they are very inexpensive by our standards. If you can find any near you they might be worth a look, but I would also do some internet research on them re reliability etc.

16. fred4321

fred4321 Tele-Meister

17. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

The TSA sounds great! Dude should roll the volume down between changing settings . I love my Pathfinder BTW....

18. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

I know you are looking for cleans, but it's too bad he didn't demo any dirt pedals with the TSA15, just to show how well it takes them.

And with the head (Instead of the combo he demoed) you get to choose your own speaker, allowing you to shape the sound exactly to your prefernce rather than whatever happens to be in the combo. The head has the most speaker out options of any of my amps, or any amp I've seen.

I'm not trying to sell you on it, but the video just caused me think of these things. If you can you should play one. You can't go wrong for the price if cleans, or a clean pedal platform is what you want and won't be playing with a drummer.

Zaxxon likes this.
  19. AlabamaOutlaw

AlabamaOutlaw Tele-Meister

There is one from here in the states thats sadly local pick up for $150. If I find one near by im gonna buy it and run them in stereo.

20. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

Pull up the Artist Guitars website and have a look at their Tweedtone20R. I got one a few weeks ago and love it. It is a Blues Junior clone but with a lot more capability because of the two channels and graphic equaliser. They have a video clip which is pretty close to the real sound I get on my one.

Grodad likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.