Need help with T Nuts for a 2x10 baffle

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by tah1962, Feb 26, 2020.

1. tah1962

tah1962 Tele-Afflicted

I’m building a 2x10 baffle for my 1x12 cabinet. The baffle is being made using void free 3/4” birch plywood. In looking for t nuts, I’m having trouble finding any with a barrel longer than 7/16”. I assume I need something over a 1/2” so that once the t nut is mounted on the front of the baffle, the barrel is almost flush on the backside of the baffle.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, are there better options than t nuts? Thanks.

2. Jon Snell

Jon Snell Tele-Meister

Lots to choose from here;
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/T-Nuts/b?ie=UTF8&node=1938558031

A T nut is a captive nut for wood and as long, if you are mounting loudspeakers, there is enough thread to hold the speaker in all will be fine.
    Birch Ply is quite hard and you may need to use force to mount the T nut securely while you bolt your speaker in for the first time..

Bill Moore and tah1962 like this.
  3. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

How long are the bolts? You won't want then poking out too far from the front of the baffle. You'll get holes in the grill cloth.

nojazzhere and tah1962 like this.
  4. tah1962

tah1962 Tele-Afflicted

Thanks. The bolt length is fine and won’t come through the front to hit the grill cloth. I’m more concerned about having more available thread on the barrel. Baffle is 3/4” think and the longest barrel that I’ve found for 10/32 t nut is 7/16”. I would like the barrel to be as close to flush as possible on the back of the baffle. I don’t think a 7/16” barrel will achieve that.

5. Jon Snell

Jon Snell Tele-Meister

The bolts come from the speaker chassis through the baffle into the T Nuts. The speaker is mounted externally. Have a look at speaker cabinets that are in Music Shops for the fixing method.

6. Jon Snell

Jon Snell Tele-Meister

The strength is in the nut thread and any more than 1/4" is normal for strength.

schmee and tah1962 like this.
  7. Jon Snell

Jon Snell Tele-Meister

Screenshot 2020-02-26 at 16.35.31.png Like this

8. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

It doesn't need to go all the way through, just use long enough screws. I haven't seen makers use ones that go all the way through.... except on thinner baffles... which often they are thinner than 3/4.
    BTW, most makers use #8 screws, and even with those some speaker patterns are a tight fit to get on due to variation in the manufacturing process/ hole patterns I guess.

I personally don't like 3/4" baffles for small 1-2 speaker cabs. woofy bassy was my result.

jsnwhite619 and tah1962 like this.
  9. tah1962

tah1962 Tele-Afflicted

10. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

11. jhundt

I used to strip these things out of all the old stereos/radios I found discarded on the streets. T-nuts work, but they are nowhere near as elegant as these things!

tah1962 likes this.
  12. tah1962

tah1962 Tele-Afflicted

Thanks @jhundt. I like the looks of these and think they are a better option than t nuts. I’ll give them a try. Thanks again.

jhundt likes this.
  13. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I use those thread certs occasionally to repair stripped out holes on baffles etc, or for bolt on necks instead of wood screws. But IMHO, for speaker studs T nuts are superior. You wont pull one of those out. I have one baffle with those to hold it in the amp that I pulled the baffle the other day, the thread insert came out on one of four, it had been glued in with thick CA glue, guess I'll try epoxy next time.

saltyseadog and tah1962 like this.
  14. koolaide

koolaide Tele-Holic

Use threaded inserts. Just built a cab, looked at T-nuts went with threaded inserts. Nothing to interfere with grill cloth or speaker. no need for batten strips on baffle. Nice clean look and in MHO less likely to strip or come out.

tah1962 likes this.
  15. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Holic

I use hex flange threaded inserts, 8-32 with a washer on the bolt. I'm pretty sure its the same thread as what's on the studs in my Fender reissues. I find it helpful that the bolts are a lot smaller than the holes in the speaker frame, as no matter how carefully I measure, things don't always line up perfectly. 1/2" of thread contact is plenty, a typical nut is maybe 1/4" thick.

tah1962 likes this.
  16. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

No need for longer T nuts and also no need for such thick and rugged baffle.
    A hard stiff baffle hurts the sound unless it’s a bass cab or a hi fi stereo cab.

tah1962 and nojazzhere like this.
  17. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You know you also need a raised edge so the cloth is not against the baffle right?
    A 1/2” baffle with 1/4” edges so the cloth is 1/4” in front of the baffle surface.

tah1962 likes this.
  18. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

The length of the t-nut doesn't matter, they are all pretty much a stock size. You just need a screw long enough to reach it and hold. The t-nut holds by digging into the wood on the face of the board. Just measure the total thickness and get screws to match.

tah1962 likes this.
  19. Warren Pederson

Warren Pederson Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Forstner bit? Take the wood down 1/8?

tah1962 likes this.
  20. jhundt

does anyone remember the old special screws that they used to use? Black, countersunk philips-head; at the base of the shaft was a very broad and coarse-thread (was it left-hand thread?) to hold it in the wood baffle. These were screwed through the baffle from the front. Then the rest of the shaft was threaded to accept a machine nut which held the speaker in place. Those were the very best! except they had sharp points at the end of the shaft, and as a careless kid I punctured more than one speaker!

tah1962 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.