1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Need help with swapping strat parts

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by jddub440, Aug 6, 2020.

1. jddub440

jddub440 Tele-Holic

Hey all, I'm usually lurking in the stomp box area or the diy section of the forum, but today I come over to stratocaster discussion forum to learn some knowledge about swapping bridges between guitars and also some pickup cover information.
    I have a few Squier Strats, one with black pickguard and covers and the other with white pickguard and covers. One is a HSS bullet as it claims on the headstock and the other I believe is an SSS affinity but I am not positive about the model.
    Yesterday I went to simply swap the single coil neck pickup covers so that they'd both have black and white pickup cover and I was going to swap the corresponding tone knobs to match. To my surprise they are slightly different sizes! I cannot simply swap the covers.
    So this made me wonder if the covers do not switch out easily does that mean the bridges would also not fit correctly??
    More importantly how can I know when I'm purchasing any of these after-market parts that it will be the appropriate pickup cover or the bridge that pops into place just perfectly or the neck that fits the body just right???
    Thank you I advance for any help you might be able to offer me. I hope your all having as good a summer as the times will allow!

2. 440mhz

440mhz Tele-Meister

Squier Bullets and Affinity's have different nut sizes, 2mm difference. I'm not sure about the bridge, but I believe so. Use a digital caliper to measure the parts you need before ordering and check out you tube for Squier upgrades. Best of luck.

jddub440 likes this.
  3. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

On Squiers, the pole spacing can be 48, 50, or 52 MM measured center to center from left outside pole to right outside pole. Each one can be different. Measuring neck, middle, and bridge they can be 48, 50, and 52; 50, 50, and 50; 50, 50, and 52; or any combination.

There is no direct correlation with pole spacing and bridge saddle spacing. The poles do not have to be directly under the strings no matter what the Internet lore says.

Measure your pickup poles. Buy new covers that fit yours. They're cheap.

The Takeway Piece of Info: Measure everything. Assume nothing.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    highwaycat, jddub440 and preactor like this.
  4. highwaycat

highwaycat Tele-Holic

The Fender MIM bridges fit a lot of squiers.

jddub440 likes this.
  5. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

I am assuming you are talking about a tremolo bridge. You have to measure between the first and last bridge screws, center to center. MIMs are 50mm. American strats vary.

jddub440 likes this.
  6. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

jddub440 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.