Need help with pickup identification- Classic Player 60's Baja Tele

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Sean B, May 19, 2017.

1. Sean B

Sean B TDPRI Member

Hi, looking to sell the pickups from my baja tele, bridge base plate has 58 clearly written in pen, so guessing (and have read) neck is the same, although some think it is 58 neck and 52 bridge.... Is this Vintage Reissue 58 or something else, only ask as images of VR 58 have neck pickup with 2 wires whereas I have 3. Both measure 7.2k. Just want to properly identify what I am selling, thanks in advance.

2. fjfinamore

fjfinamore TDPRI Member

Sean B likes this.
  3. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

Sean B likes this.
  4. Sean B

Sean B TDPRI Member

Thanks for the responses, the extra yellow ground wire which was soldered to the tone pot just made me wonder, the shop I bought it from says they are both 58's, but other sites and sources say 58 Bridge 52 Neck, no biggie will just advertise as set from Baja 60's Tele. The bridge is a little bold for me but the neck is fantastic, together they are great too but after putting some stock Fralin Tele pickups in I don't want to take them out.

5. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

So, if it's a "60's" themed guitar. Why the 50's style pickups? Never knew that was the case.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have like a 64 neck pickup and a 62 bridge pickup? Or something along those lines.

Just didn't seem to add up in my little pea brain.

6. McCtelecaster

McCtelecaster Tele-Meister

Sorry to resurrect this thread so late, but that is a very valid point. I've wondered about that myself. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what Fender might have been thinking?

7. SPUDCASTER

And now we have the thread about why the Baja 60's doesn't have the "top hat" switch knob. Who knows.

tery likes this.
  8. BGTele

BGTele Tele-Afflicted

My guess is that the people at Fender who make those decisions are not history professors, they are marketing guys who look at what is popular and offer what is popular. I think most times they are right and what they offer is good stuff. I'd rather have fun with tones than be historically valid.

9. McCtelecaster

McCtelecaster Tele-Meister

It would be fun for me to have a historically accurate, although made in Mexico guitar, at a reasonable price.

10. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

11. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Y'all are weird about this stuff, so I don't know if that's good enough. It has "the" knob though.

Edit: oops this isn't the knob thread. Well, anyway.

12. SPUDCASTER

I was just making kind of "tongue in cheek" remark on the knob issue. That's easily resolved by Fender, if they choose, or the consumer. personally, I never really cared for the "top hat" knob. I have one on my '58RI. It will probably stay there.

Lately I've been using Strat tips.

The pickups seem like a different situation considering they(Fender) make and market 60's style pickups.

The '58 bridge pickup isn't so far removed from the 60's sound. IMHO. The '52 neck, if it has the brass cover, might be more of an issue.

Fender can do whatever they want and so can I.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.