1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

need help with low watt amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by orangefuzz89, Nov 8, 2016.

1. orangefuzz89

orangefuzz89 NEW MEMBER!

I decided to buy a tube amp and went with a pro junior. I loved it but it was way to loud and with a reverb pedal was pushing my budget limit. I've narrowed a replacement down to a blackstar ht-5r, Ibanez tsa5, and laney cub10. They all have their pros and cons so I'd love to hear what those of you who own them or played them think. I am playing a classic player 50s strat and I love lots of bands from the shadows, grateful dead, Clapton to RATM, pavement, pixies, and Sabbath. Thanks!

2. Warren01

Warren01 Tele-Meister

I bought my first tube amp, a Blackstar HT-5R and really like it, but due to my inexperience, have nothing to compare to.

3. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

Even my Blackstar HT 1 has surprising level of volume. I gig with a 9 watt amp. With an efficient speaker it gets loud.

4. mRtINY

mRtINY Friend of Leo's

In that price range, you may be better off with a Peavey Bandit or a Vox AC15VR.

5. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

Blackstar HT-1 or Palmer Eins. You'll need a speaker cab for the latter.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  6. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The Cub 10 is a great little amp. It does reasonable quiet and very good loud. Note it only goes as far as Black Sabbath. Modern metal is not its forte. Really good cleans for your Shadows through a range of pre-amp gain sounds and the master volume. Good sounds can be had by turning the volume near full up and controlling it via the gain knob. Clapton/Beck/Gallagher tones can be found this way, neighbours permitting. Note it also goes really loud. The stock tubes aren't objectional and the stock HH brand speaker is a good enough match.
    It seems to take pedals well, aside from high-gain \m/ metal type distortions. Fuzz, overdrive and not too silly distortions work really well. if your gain sound comes from a pedal, delays and reverb work well due to the clean nature of its power.

7. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

Have you checked out the Monoprice 5w?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.