Need help with intonation issue on DIY Tele

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Mr_Dill_Pickle, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Mr_Dill_Pickle

Mr_Dill_Pickle NEW MEMBER!

So I recently "finished" my DIY Tele build,b the intonation is REALLY off...

(Ex. Open "E" is a "high E"- "low F#" on 12th fret. Same problem on all strings)

However, if I put a capo on 1st fret and tune from there everything is fine. Does anyone know what the problem is? And if so how I could fix it?

The capo trick is working fine atm but I would obviously prefer it to function normally, any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks, Dillyn

2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Your nut slots are too high. So when you fret them it's pulling the string sharp.

Use the capo on the third fret. The strings should just clear the first fret by not much more than a hair. If it's more than a cigarette paper thickness it's too much.

3. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

The nut is generally a suspect ....

When intonation is in question ...

4. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Did you adjust the saddles for intonation? Are the nut slots ramped downward from front to back so that the fretboard/nut edge is the contact point for the string?

eallen likes this.
  5. stefanhotrod

stefanhotrod Tele-Holic

Correct filed nut slots, correct set bridge saddles= good (or maybe close to perfect) intonation.

6. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

You said this is a DIY tele - does that mean you did it yourself, its a "DIY" kit or you did it out of some other box of parts? Whether you built the neck or not, are the fret slots in the right place? How about the nut slot? Neck in the correct place in the pocket? How did you locate the bridge relative to the nut? Did you add some precompensation to the bridge? How tall are the frets? Where does the fret plane strike the bridge?

When you did your setup what measurements did you end up with (relief, first fret clearance, 12th fret clearance)? What gauge strings are you using? Were is the break points of each saddle relative to the nut? Did you make the nut - if so how?

How many cents sharp or flat is each string at the 12th fret? What kind of tuner are you using to measure it?

If it happens to be a DIY kit there is a good chance you have some significant neck geometry issues.

7. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

Try a Hosco nut shim or an Earvana shelf nut. I use them on all my guitars.

8. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Take a ruler and measure the neck from the 12th fret to the nut. Should be 12 3/4"

Then measure from the 12th fret to the bridge. The two dimensions should be very close to each other.

If the difference is greater than 3/16" you may have a more serious problem.

Take some photos of the guitar showing the neck joint, the bridge area, and the nut area.

eallen likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.