1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Need help with boost pedals.

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Richie Cunningham, Dec 20, 2020.

1. sxl213

sxl213 TDPRI Member

I've settled on a Wampler DB+. Most other boost's/overdrive's I've tried tend to make my guitar sound like an electric kazoo. :cool:

2. jhamnett

jhamnett TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

If you're at all handy with sodering, you can make a few different boost pedals on stripboard and try them out, see what you like best.

I like the SHO and LPB-1 for clean boost, and especially building two in one box for a combo buffer/line driver with separate boost. I leave one side on at all times.

Built a LPB-1 last night to fix my Phase 45's volume drop. The circuit was tiny enough to fit in the existing Phase 45 box with no modification.

Here's a good resource: http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/search/label/Booster?m=0

Mud67 likes this.
  3. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted

Richie, I too have a low output guitar, my Tele. To give things a boost use a Kick Box Clean Boost pedal. It's a simple, clean boost pedal. I typically use it when I roll back the tone controls and/or fingerpick, to get the volume back, or for those lead parts that require some good breakup.

Alternatively, you can use it as an anti-boost. Turn off the boost pedal for true bypass. Crank the amp wide open. Then, engage the clean boost pedal and roll back the boost volume for a clean sound.

4. Lance Morgan

Lance Morgan TDPRI Member

I agree. My MXR micro-amp, first pedal I ever bought, is my always pedal. I use it right after the tuner every time. Clean solid boost. One knob. I set it on about 12:30. Love it.

Fiesta Red and naveed211 like this.
  5. Bagman67

Bagman67 Tele-Meister

If you really wanna go vintage/trashy, I used to use a DOD American Metal pedal as a clean boost. Dial the gain way back, bump the output, EQ to taste, and you're ready to slap the front end of your amp like your momma when she caught you stealing her laundry money. And when you want to switch it up and chug some faux-'Tallica riffs, you're a knob-twist away from that crappy, buzzy grind.

6. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

Boost Killer is an awesome inexpensive boost. Simple with a few tone shaping extras and the ability to add a touch more grit if wanted. I love mine. A total keeper.

stormsedge likes this.
  7. mmannaxx

mmannaxx Tele-Meister

I rarely play my Strat which is classic series MIM with vintage style low output pups. It is a nice guitar, surf green, so looks really cool, but I am a Tele player mostly. So I am used to a thicker (as opposed to the thinner sound of the Strat) sound that the Tele provides. Whenever I use the Strat I kick on a Fulltone Fatboost3 to fatten up the Strats thinner sound. Don’t need it with my Teles though.

Maguchi likes this.
  8. William Pugh

William Pugh Tele-Meister

Nothing new here, just assume my experiences to what the others have said.

Had a MXR Custom Audio Electronics Clean boost / overdrive thing. I only used the Clean boost. My guitar: more gain. Clean to my ears. Pushed the amp onto overdrive like we all love it. But it took up to much space on my board.

Next up: EH LPB-1 bought cheap used. WAY to much power though so it was hard to adjust.

Next up and absolutely satisfying: TC Electronics Spark Booster (full on four knob version). Does it squeaky clean or with a little bit of hair. I really appreciate the EQ options though: friends or that a nice driven sounds isn't quite the same as a nice clean sounds and some coloring is good... I use the Fat option with my Strat and the mid option with my HB equipped Godin.

Next up, when I find one used, will be an MXR 10-band EQ. I figure if I like the tone sculpting options on the Spark, I'd probably be happy to have the 10 bands. Then again, maybe I'll end up with options anxiety and spend more time adjusting than playing. That's why I want to find one used. But they don't come around much. That probably says something.

Anyway, good luck.

9. agehr7

agehr7 NEW MEMBER!

Although I have and use both a Timmy and a TC Spark, I would recommend you start checking out different preamp tubes for the ‘blues’ channel. Mesa Boogie has a SPAX7 that can achieve higher gain but there are many others that can do the same thing. I go through a series of preamp tubes to find my sound from the amp. Check out thetubestore.com or tubesandmore. Com

Lakeabilene likes this.
  10. 76standard

76standard TDPRI Member

I use a Fulltone Fat-boost, version 1. Three knobs, Volume, Tone and Gain. For boosted clean tones turn the gain off, EQ with the Tone knob (more or less treble/Highs) then set the amount of boost using the Volume knob. When Gain is engaged, or increased, it ranges from subtle to mid level overdrive. Great blues tones. If stacked with an overdrive it fattens up the overall tone. Can’t go wrong with the FB. If buying used, find Version 1.

surf_jimi likes this.
  11. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Afflicted

Why Version 1?

12. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Meister

I like the TC Electronics Spark a lot. It serves also as a mild od pedal, but mainly it just gives very tweakable and musical boost. I used to use the db boost on a graphic eq, but this pedal gives a far wider range of sounds, most of them very musical.

Maguchi likes this.
  13. Dr. Bill

Dr. Bill Tele-Afflicted

Bad Bob Boost. You'll thank me later.

14. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

any love for this one?

had my eye on it for a while and may gor for it once my partstratocaster is done

15. 76standard

76standard TDPRI Member

This is all you need. Get Version 1. $50 - $60 on Reverb or Ebay.

Attached Files:

16. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Afflicted

Why Version 1?

17. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

T-Rex Fat Shuga reverb/boost, into a Princeton that doesn't have the former and needs the latter. Always on pedal, and it plays nicely with my Boss '59 Baseman pedal; I set that one for unity volume and minimal gain.

18. 76standard

76standard TDPRI Member

19. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Pay attention, you'll be glad that you did.

NEWMAN STENCIL.jpg

scook and Tim S like this.
  20. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

If you are pressed for time, you can skip to 17:24 to get the message.

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.