Need help with a "sticky" situation

Wildcard_35

Tele-Holic
It looks like they were trying to just cover up the Selmer logo.

Maybe an embarrassed British teen who didn't want to be seen with the Marshall stack's pathetic cousin, or maybe someone who had a brand endorsement and needed to not be seen with another amp. It could also be like a 2 foot long 6 inch wide sticker.

That the first thing would be a shame, because Selmer amps are awesome. Did you know that the Animals used a Selmer amp on the House of the Rising Sun? (Or at least that's what I read on the internet, once!)

BoomTexan

Tele-Meister
That the first thing would be a shame, because Selmer amps are awesome. Did you know that the Animals used a Selmer amp on the House of the Rising Sun? (Or at least that's what I read on the internet, once!)
Well, its funny, because we Americans and them British have some different ideas on what is cool. I saw a Silverface Twin Reverb on Denmark Street selling for 1500. It was in good condition, but here it'd sell for 700 max. I saw EL34 4x10 tube amps in Italy sell for 150 and Selmer Zodiacs sell for 1500 (also Denmark street).

Basically, unwanted amps here are worth their weight in gold over there, and vice versa.

I picked up this Selmer for 150 pounds. Shipping was actually more than the price of the amp. I've heard people refer to them as garden-variety amps, or cheap beaters. Uh, what? They're super cool over here, but apparently not over there.

King Fan

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
… I decided to bring up some plastic dish scrubbers and steel wool. The steel wool took it right off, and the dish scrubbers are doing decent work. I'm using steel wool on the bottom area of the amp that is already very gouged up where scratches wouldn't be noticeable, and the dish scrubbers everywhere else.

It's going well so far. I think a half hour of elbow grease should do it from here.

Glad it’s working. Bet I’m not the only one hoping to see an After pic. We all know tape residue lurks in our future. I hear Hades has replaced flames with tape residue — on everything. :)

BoomTexan

Tele-Meister
Oh, almost forgot! Just replaced the 32/32uF caps today and got her back in her headshell. Minor noise floor issue at bedroom volumes, but it doesn't increase at all from lower to higher volume, so I'm calling it a success. At any serious volume or even a cut above like 0.5 on the volume and you can't tell it's there.

The whiter areas are where the tape was more concentrated and it became necessary to use steel wool rather than the plastic scrubber to get it off. There were a few major gouges on the faceplate before I used the steel wool, but now there are quite a few more minor scratches. In my defense, the steel wool was the only thing getting the more concentrated areas of tape up. Hey, I'd rather have scratched metal than a yellow residue layer over pristine metal.

(listed on Reverb because I found an Ampeg which will be my next project, didn't want to have it go so soon, but it should take a month to sell at least, so hoping to enjoy as much time with it as I can)

Attachments

• Screenshot (146).png
    Screenshot (146).png
    691.4 KB · Views: 21