Need help wiring a 4x12 cabinet....

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by mcsmitty, Sep 17, 2016.

1. mcsmitty

mcsmitty Tele-Meister

So I'm in the process of bringing an old Peavey 4x12 cab back from the dead. Stripped off layers of bad paint and the tolex, sanded, stained and refinished it in gloss, then new hardware. Now it looks a treat, and it's built like a tank!

But now I'm to the wiring part and I'm a bit stuck on how to do this properly.

I've got (4) 16Ω 150W Eminence speakers (2 Swamp Thang and 2 Texas Heat) ready to go, and I'm using a Plug and Play Jack plate. (Alt link)

Rather than an 'X' pattern, I'm going to put the Swamp Things across the top and the Texas Heat Across the bottom, so I can run each set as a 2x12 of like speakers (there's a solid wood divider between the top and bottom that allows this).

I found the wiring diagram for the jack plate here. I know I want to use the chart labeled 'Four 16 Ohm Speakers' but I'm not sure how to make that happen with the provided wires.

As in, there are only four wires coming out of the Plug and Play, but 8 connection tabs on the speakers? I'm assuming I'm going to need additional wires/connectors to make this work, but I don't know what kind to get.

They had a box of 'AMP Female Disconnects' at Home Depot that looked about right for the connectors, but I didn't know what kind/gauge of wire to get (and didn't want to guess and be wrong). Also, is there some kind of "T" connection or adapter that I'll need to be able to hook it up to both speakers?

Any help/insight would be greatly appreciated. Been on this project for months and I want to get to the part where I'm listening to it as opposed to f#&$-ing with it. ;)

2. tessting1two

tessting1two Tele-Meister

You need to run each pair of speakers in parallel, which means the two minus terminals from one pair of speakers get wired together and run to the sleeve terminal of one of the 8 ohm jacks. Then the two plus terminals are wired together and soldered to the tip terminal of the 8 ohm jack. Repeat this process for the other pair of speakers using the other 8 ohm jack.

3. mcsmitty

mcsmitty Tele-Meister

The Plug and Play jack thingy uses all push-on connectors and the speakers are new.

Is there any way I can do this all with connectors/crimping, and avoid the solder? My soldering skills are bupkus.

4. Thin69

Thin69 Friend of Leo's

Yes but I would solder it. Crimp connections are just not that reliable. We don't want them to open up and blow an OT (assuming tube amp).

5. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The drawing seems pretty straightforward. What problem are you having?

Wire is easy, 16 gauge is adequate. I use lamp cord, it's easy to work with and easy to find.

You don't need Tee connectors. If your lugs are big enough you can insert two wires in the connector and crimp it as usual. I always solder as well as crimp just for added peace of mind.

If you've got a good crimper, you'll be okay. If your crimper is one of those Harbor Freight things, or you're trying to crimp with pliers or diagonal cutters, I wouldn't do it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.