Need help trying to sell some gear

InstantCoffeeBlue

Tele-Holic
Besides keeping track of my fellow musicians' shows, FB Marketplace is really about the only reason I'm on FB these days. I prefer it to craigslist because there's an actual account attached to the listings, so you can click on the person's profile to verify they're an actual person, which can help to weed out scammers and other weirdos. Some basic rules - always meet in a well-lit public place and be super clear about your expectations about the value of your item and your time. Driving halfway to meet a buyer seems like a nice way to be accommodating - until you spend a bunch on gas money only for someone to no-show or (almost more annoyingly) show up with half the cash and a cliche sob story and expect you to take it. Better to just be firm up front than get taken advantage of and end up jaded.

You actually can ship via FB marketplace too, so there's that.

Telecaster582

Tele-Afflicted
I have decided that I am going to take it to guitar center. If I get $50 a guitar, I'll have about $375, and a discount. If I get rid of two amps I don't use, and some gig bags I could get up to $450. I also think I'll get more than $50 for the guitars but I was calculating with the bare minimum that I could get.

Haboob

TDPRI Member
EBay. I've probably sold 30 -40 guitars on there, mostly high-end stuff. People don't mind paying shipping at all , it's usually about $50....Tell your Mom she's wrong....... :)

Burlington Dave

Friend of Leo's
Having had a Gretsch Streamliner, although reasonable guitars, I would highly recommend you save a while longer and pick a a Korean made - not Chinese made - Electromatic, like a G5420T. It’s a big jump in quality, playability, and sound over the Streamliner series. Here’s mine…
3D11F4DA-F2F3-4A1A-8A1D-90161426DFCF.jpeg
A74AD52A-B2D9-4ABA-897C-884886169323.jpeg

Seasharp

TDPRI Member
I have a lot of guitars that don't work that I want to fix so that I can sell them to buy a Grestch Streamliner, and I'm thinking of Reverb to sell it on. Mom say people won't buy thing because of shipping, and tells me to do it on Facebook marketplace so that they have to come and pick it up. I feel like nothing guitar related ever sells on Facebook, and when I look at Reverb, it seems like things sell there fairly quickly. Just wondering what I should use to sell it and if you would pay shipping for it. Any help appreciated, thanks
When you say "don't work" what does that mean?
I have a strat, LP and telly. The LP I bought from a guy and after a while I never did like it so I opened the back and saw the crappy wiring and tested the pots. The pots were all wrong, none of them tested anywhere close to what they should be. I went and bought the best wiring and a bunch of pots (12 of them) and tested each one and made sure they were all within 5% of each other. I changed everything except the pups and rhythm switch. Changed the tuners and put in an aluminum bridge. The guitar is really nice and plays fine. I will change the pups here soon just because. I have a couple of hundred in the mods and the tuners were half of the cost. It wasn't very expensive to replace the garbage Gibson put into a $2,000 guitar that should have been there in the first place.
My strat I've upgraded the pups and replaced the original pickguard with everything in place, the old lace pups ect. I put in a new pick guard and all. It too is really nice. Upgrading stuff doesn't cost all that much and improves the tone.

Telecaster582

Tele-Afflicted
When you say "don't work" what does that mean?
I have a strat, LP and telly. The LP I bought from a guy and after a while I never did like it so I opened the back and saw the crappy wiring and tested the pots. The pots were all wrong, none of them tested anywhere close to what they should be. I went and bought the best wiring and a bunch of pots (12 of them) and tested each one and made sure they were all within 5% of each other. I changed everything except the pups and rhythm switch. Changed the tuners and put in an aluminum bridge. The guitar is really nice and plays fine. I will change the pups here soon just because. I have a couple of hundred in the mods and the tuners were half of the cost. It wasn't very expensive to replace the garbage Gibson put into a $2,000 guitar that should have been there in the first place.
My strat I've upgraded the pups and replaced the original pickguard with everything in place, the old lace pups ect. I put in a new pick guard and all. It too is really nice. Upgrading stuff doesn't cost all that much and improves the tone.
IMG_20220403_122213350.jpg

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
I have a lot of guitars that don't work that I want to fix so that I can sell them to buy a Grestch Streamliner, and I'm thinking of Reverb to sell it on. Mom say people won't buy thing because of shipping, and tells me to do it on Facebook marketplace so that they have to come and pick it up. I feel like nothing guitar related ever sells on Facebook, and when I look at Reverb, it seems like things sell there fairly quickly. Just wondering what I should use to sell it and if you would pay shipping for it. Any help appreciated, thanks
If you're selling to buy a Streamliner, what you have to sell can't be worth all that much. Hang on to what you have and save your money. Facebook marketplace? Does your mom really want creeps walking up to the front door?

Telecaster582

Tele-Afflicted
If you're selling to buy a Streamliner, what you have to sell can't be worth all that much. Hang on to what you have and save your money. Facebook marketplace? Does your mom really want creeps walking up to the front door?
That's what I thought, and I did the math, if I get $50 for each guitar, it's like $400. If I put that with amps and gig bags I'll have enough.

Charlodius

Tele-Holic
I’m always scanning Facebook marketplace for musical gear, and I’ve bought quite a few things from there. I’ve also sold quite a few things there. Craigslist is pretty dead in my area.

teleplayr

Friend of Leo's
Years ago I had good luck selling on CL. Now it seems that most are looking for something to flip or trying to "low-ball" you on your asking price.

I've tried to buy on Facebook marketplace twice and had bad dealings with flaky people. Although many have had good results.