Need help. Telecaster 62Ri Japan 1988

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Guitarrisimo, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Meister

Well... I'll take a stab at it and give my 2 cents having built my own 51 nocaster copy, completely from original Fender specs of the era. The round string tree is certainly vintage in style, not sure when they stopped doing that, but certainly was true in the early 50's. Wax dipped pickups, cloth wire, spring assist CRL 1452 switch, CTS pots, kluson vintage tuners, Philips screw heads, brass saddles, wax capacitor, hand penciled date code on the neck, all are correct for vintage Fender spec. The "paint stick" mark in the neck pocket is correct as well, as Fender started doing that somewhere around 1959 if I recall. It also appears to have nitro lacquer judging by what I see on the neck, so that's correct vintage style also. Not sure of the 5 digit SN but it seems correct, likewise the "pat. pend." on the bridge although by 62 not sure if that was still on there or not. Seeing springs in the pickup area is certainly vintage to the early 50's, not sure if they were still doing that in 62 or not, but it's certainly correct vintage style. Also, the truss adj. in the base of the neck is also correct. "Made in Japan" seems to be under the nitro, and looks correct to me but others may know more on that. Anyway, these are my observations but hopefully others will know even more about your specific reissue. Hope this helps!

Guitarrisimo likes this.
  2. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Meister

One other thing I'll mention is by 1962, Fender was definitely doing lots of color variations unlike the 50's where color options were only just coming in around 1956 or so. In fact, mostly automotive colors of the time e.g. GM, Ford, Chrysler, etc. So... not sure what color that is on your body but regardless, by 62 it certainly would've been possible to have such a color whereas in 1951, it would've had to have been custom ordered... which is quite rare indeed for my era.

3. Chris H.

Chris H. Tele-Afflicted

All three things you mention aren't original. Should have a Butterfly string retainer, bridge looks like USA RI, pickups and wiring look to be replaced.
    However, these changes, minus the bridge plate, are probably a big improvent on the stock parts.

2 Headed Goat and Guitarrisimo like this.
  4. Guitarrisimo

Guitarrisimo TDPRI Member

Thank you, that is what I was thinking.

5. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

What do you come up with when you google Fender TLC-62B , stamped on the neck heel ?

6. Guitarrisimo

Guitarrisimo TDPRI Member

1. Body and neck seem to be original 1988 Reissue Japanese Telecaster.

2. The round stringtree should be on an early 50´s Telecaster or reissue.

3. The 5 digit bridgeplate does not exist on any Japanese Telecaster. Could be an original from the 60¨s or a replacement (I saw some with 5 digit number)? The number 79xxx would be in the original range of serial numbers.

4. No results on the pickup. They actually sound really great.

2 Headed Goat likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.