Need Help on this 1965 Fender Jaguar- in parts

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Missing Link, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Missing Link

Missing Link Tele-Meister

And a few more pictures of this 1965 Jag. Like the FUNKY strings, never heard of them. As you can see the body has been completely sanded and sealed. The neck was also sanded down as I believe the headstock was red at ton time and that's why the logo is gone.
    Cheers

Attached Files:

BorderRadio likes this.
  2. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

Congrats again!! Glad it found a happy home. I stand by my fiesta red recommendation (the overspray looks more like that to me in the pics anyways, but hard to say). Surf green would look killer, too... especially with that rosey rosewood.

3. Missing Link

Do you have a photo of yours with the fiesta red, I not sure what colors were on the 65 production Jags. Fiesta red is kind of a light red with maybe an orange to it? I have been looking on the web but seem to fine the white, candy red. Not sure if changing the original color with cause problems with it's value latter on.
    Not out to make money but if I am hit by a bus tomorrow sure would like my wife to take a vacation on the sale of the Jaguar, just kidding I hope.
    Thanks

4. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

The remnants of red in the control cavities look like Candy Apple Red to me.

5. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

This might be true. Hard to tell, and admittedly, I’m looking at it on my phone. This isn’t mine, but it’s a 65 fiesta red...
    upload_2019-7-4_21-18-33.jpeg

Lighter shade of red than candy apple. Flatter, no sparkle. Shades of coral or pink. This picture shows that pretty well to my eye.

After I posted this, I realized that the interior of the case was a poor backdrop. So, here’s another:
    upload_2019-7-4_21-21-17.jpeg

And because it’s your guitar, and because everybody should love surf green, as well...
    upload_2019-7-4_21-23-11.png

Fendereedo likes this.
  6. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

From what I can see, It’s all there except a few screws/nuts/washers and maybe a string tree (get the Fender Pure Vintage one if so). The same sizes for all of those are used on modern guitars. You can buy cheap on eBay.

I’d definitely restore it to a faded Fiesta Red with matching headstock, maybe a light relic, although that might not be the original colour as I see some red overspray on the cavity shielding.

This image should give you an idea how the trem parts connect. The three large screws that hold it together are the only ones like it on the guitar. They’re in your pictures: http://angela.com/images/products/detail/Jazzmaster_JaguarTremoloTwo.jpg

Good shot of an assembled bridge from the excellent Mike and Mike’s Guitar Bar. Again, I can see six strings, screws and saddles: https://mmguitarbar.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/img_2101.jpg

How the mute works and goes together, including what to use for more foam (I used weather strip): https://mmguitarbar.wordpress.com/2017/04/17/demystifying-part-5-the-fender-mute/ and here https://offset.guitars/site/assets/files/1056/63jagmute.jpg you have all the parts except foam.

Colour coded Fender wiring diagram:
    https://i.pinimg.com/originals/32/3c/14/323c149e3c21db45b7ce6978ebe8c0f8.png

whoanelly15 likes this.
  7. Missing Link

It does have the string tree with a plastic spacer, not sure if that plastic is correct for the era. I have many pictures but as for the screws I believe we have at least 90% of them ever had this before who removed the screws was a little rough on the Philip heads (wrong screw driver) or the metal was just pain old soft. One or two are slightly bent. May need to replace a few. Have not tested the pickups yet but the poles seem to be in place and no real corrosion.
    Pretty hard to tell on the paint as most is faded overspray, but it does resemble that Fiesta Red. I will have to take a more positive look to determine the correct color. I was hoping that the SN would contain a number to reference the color for a 65. The tuner holes show red in the cavities so the head stock as your pictures show will take a bit of paint when it comes time,
    Thanks for the links that is good stuff to have.
    On this project I decided to start with the neck for a clearing of the fretboard, light sand, oil, re-fret. Tested the truss rod and has little change in the relief of the neck. I do not hear any rattles in the neck and if screwed outwarded at the screw end looks as it will come out, did not go that far. The only clear coat left on the neck is at the heel were the date and some kind of stamp is found, so will leave that area on its own. The frets were removed today with good success, no real chipping but did show signs of glue use. The frets are very thin almost tiny. Any one know the type and size of the fret wire. Had some corrosion on the underside on one or two frets so was not in a home at one time may of been in a storage building. After 54 years no surprise. The guy I bought this Jaguar from says it was I in the closet as it is now in parts for 25 years.

Well here we go
    Cheers and thanks

Attached Files:

Matthias and Fendereedo like this.
  8. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

I've got a classic 60s fiesta red Jag in nitro and it's a beautiful colour. It's your call on that though. I wish you all the best with the rebuild. Please keep us updated with your progress, I'm fascinated with restoration projects. Best of luck. :)

9. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

Plastic spacer is correct. It changed in ‘64.

kris ford likes this.
  10. Missing Link

Thanks I was a bit confused as one web site they were steel spacers but did not really say what year, thanks.
    Good news, the color was Candy Apple Red, and that's what it will be again. Found a good source of color under the brass grounding platform, also found what looks to be the original resistance checks or phase drop of the pickup when put in, barely see it 20 / 16. I did a resistance check of both the Jags PU and one was 6.13 and the other was 6.62. The phase drop with hot to hot and ground to ground shows a down drop not sure of how much. I will research the original readings from Fender.

Attached Files:

Matthias and BorderRadio like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.