Need Help on this 1965 Fender Jaguar- in parts

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Missing Link, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Missing Link

Missing Link Tele-Meister

Need help - looking to buy a 1965 Fender Jaguar but know little about them. Took a look at the guitar today and what I found was a jazz Master in its original case but it had all it's parts all removed as someone was going to repaint it as the original Olympic white paint was all sanded off. As far as I can tell all the large and small parts are in the bag along with the screws and small springs and such. Has the original whammy bar. The PU are original along with the pots. The frets are original and well used as is the nut but the neck is straight but the Fender headstock logo was sanded off. Has one string tree for the headstock. He is asking $300 as it is but not sure if that's good or bad. I am not sure but it being a 1965 that they did not have the body area and belly cut always but I am not sure, this one does have the cut always and elbow cut. I have always wanted a Jazz Master original, this is a close as I can get right now. Has the serial # in photo.
    Any help is more than welcome and will answer as best as I can. I have not seen all the small screws and springs so I am not sure what is missing and how easy it is to replace the parts if need.

Thanks much

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  2. Missing Link

Few more pictures

Attached Files:

3. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

By serial number you're referring to the date stamp on the heel? * edit I see the neck plate now. Look at the pot codes for any markings to verify better as to the date. The neck heel looks correct to me but I'm not an authority.

Even if this was a Squier RI $300 is a ridiculous price.

That thing would already be at my house.

4. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

That's a JAGUAR not a Jazzmaster!

Still, it looks mainly intact to me and most Fender AVRI parts will fit it. The parts look legit to me. The Mute's missing and there's a tuner bushing missing, maybe some screws and other bits. It's been refinished (with the shielding and pickup foam still attached!)

Grab it now though. Total bargain even if some minor stuff's missing or some bits are aftermarket. All the bits I can see check out and restored it's worth several times that. Not tons though as it's had the logo sanded etc, and it's a bit of a project... But we're talking four figures more.

In the UK it'd probably fetch a couple of grand rebuilt. At least.

5. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Let's start with the most obvious.
    It is NOT a Jazzmaster.
    It is a Jaguar.

6. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

That case is worth about $500 I reckon :eek: EDIT - wait, that's NOT a 65 case... That's pre-64. So might be an older Fender case...

7. Missing Link

See I did not even know it is a Jaguar nor the owner knew. Now I need to look up Jaguar history. I even know less about a Jaguar. Yeah as said I always wanted a Jazz Master I guess now I will maybe get a Jaguar instead.
    Is the Jaguar basically with the same hardware as the Jazz Master I am looking on the net to see if I can find a parts breakdown or blue print of all the parts so I can reference what maybe missing.
    I will ask to look at the pots for more date related information.
    Appreciate you information.

8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jag not JM but still seems like an amazing deal.

I'm broke and I'd steal my wifes penny jar to buy that.
    Oh and I greatly dislike Jags!

9. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

I've just built one so happy to help you figure it all out if you get it (get it!!! :D ). I just spotted the mute, so it looks all there on a scan except a tuner bushing and I can't see the screws. All the expensive bits are there anyway! I just noticed the bottom plate of the tremolo isn't in those shots... But you can buy these as repro parts for fairly affordable prices. About $80 for a whole new AVRI tremolo, but I think some people sell the parts separately. There's nothing special about the screws - you just need the right size and they're quite generic. Whatever's missing or needs replacing, it'll still probably end up cheaper than the one I just built!

BTW the pickup wires are also cut short... That's deliberate on the grounds, but the hot wires will need splicing or new ones soldering on... Not too big an issue.

This is an exploded diagram, in case it's of help:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjukKKbxZvjAhWMYsAKHTqFD0gQjRx6BAgBEAQ&url=https://www.pinterest.es/pin/266627240419454363/&psig=AOvVaw3Yqkl2sXY4aFgvCDiuy75H&ust=1562339198738020

Pot code dater:

https://www.guitardaterproject.org/potcodereader.aspx

10. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nice find, I’d have it and be refinishing it by now :)

Apart from the screws and bushing mentioned, it looks like you need some saddles too. I think every trem part is there. The screw bag must be sitting in somebody’s shoebox..

telemnemonics likes this.
  11. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

I thought I could see screw heads in that bridge!

Why would you ever disassemble it to that extent?!? :D

Still, saddles are fairly cheap and as this will be a player, it's an excuse to replace them with one of the usual upgrade sets. I'm persevering with the stock Jag bridge on mine but it's not my favourite thing in the world, especially having used StayTrems.

BorderRadio likes this.
  12. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Buy it!

Matthias likes this.
  13. Missing Link

I did see a bag when looking at the guitar itself that contained the pickups and all the smalls were magnetized to the pickup as he has it all in what looks to be a old bread bag (with a few holes). Was like a clump of small screws and small springs all clinging on. I did request that when he gets home to separate the smalls for he's sake not just mine. I just did not want to mess with that clump at the time in fear of a small spring or so falling into a black hole never to be seen again as we were meeting in a parking lot. Yeah that sound strange but it was an equal distance from our home that saved him and I 18 or so extra miles.
    I am leaning now to buying the Jag but after spending a little more time looking over the small parts. I believe I did see the bridge inside the plastic bad with the pickups. I am not sure about what is in the pictures posted as the five what look to be telecaster body string bushing not sure what they are and if there should be six instead of five. Thanks for the information guys and Matthias thanks for the parts reference. I maybe asking a bit more on this old gal but right now I am trying to get hold of the gent to close the deal after another closer inspection of parts. Also as it has a white pick guard and the only colors I no were available for a 1965 was red, and a green. If not mistaken the headstocks were painted also, so this maybe why the logo was sanded off. The case is a 1961 or 62 hard case is what he said but not sure myself. More to follow.

Matthias likes this.
  14. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I'm deeply confused how we're thinking any type of 60s Fender in any condition is not an insta-buy at $300?????

daddyplaysbass and Matthias like this.
  15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If the pickups have been stored a while in the bag full of small parts all stuck to the magnets, I'd say it's fairly likely the pickups are dead and will need either a rewind or some careful repair to the hair thin wire. Might be OK but I'd put the chances below 50/50.

Still not a problem at that price.

When and if you manage to meet with the seller, I'd say hand him the cash and get it in your car before the other buyer he didn't mention shows up!

Matthias likes this.
  16. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

An L-series 65 Jag? This is a dream find, even in pieces! Congrats!! I hope it works out. If not, send it my way.

Edit: I don't know who would sand off the headstock face, but it gives you the opportunity to have that refinished too before adding a new waterslide. Might I suggest Fiesta Red?

Matthias likes this.
  17. PixMix

PixMix Tele-Holic

Great deal! Get it and then take some good pics and you'll get some help. Offset forum has also some really knowledgeable folks who can help.

18. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

Jag pickups are pretty well protected by plastic and steel. If the magnets are demagnetised, it’s easy enough to recharge them with a cheap neodymium magnet (as I found out!). As long as the pole pieces haven’t been pushed through, I think they have a fighting chance. Man... I wish I could find one like this!

telemnemonics likes this.
  19. Missing Link

Well guys the deal is sealed - will have more pictures latter today or tomorrow when the Jag is in it's new home.

20. Missing Link

The Jag is now has a new home and a future. Gave it a fast inventory but still not sure if anything is missing, but did find a few things that need replacing or fixing but not big deals. It seems as the original color was red at one time, I'm not a real fan of the candy apple red but I guess it should be what was at one time. Have to ask does the SN show what the color is or is that something when reconstructing an old guitar is not important. I like the surf green from that era.
    The neck shows that this was a well used player as does the nut. I am sure I will be posting more questions on this nice bit of history, but for now I can offer a few pictures of most of the parts and such. I can see a lot of soldering in the future, lots of cold solder areas.
    Thanks guys.

Attached Files:

BorderRadio likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.