1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Need help identifying old battered tweed case

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Bonenut, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Bonenut

Bonenut TDPRI Member

Hi,
    I'm new here, although I've been reading for a long time. It's great.
    I have a question about an old case I've had for years. It is too big for a telecaster and I'm not sure what it is for.
    The dimensions inside are 41" x 13.5" x 2.25" deep.
    I appreciate any help.
    I have also searched for how to add a photo to the body of a post but I can't seem to find any info. If anyone has a link to a thread on how to do that, I would appreciate it.
    Cheers,
    Craig

Attached Files:

2. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

given the size, maybe for a bass guitar? Not a great insight, I know, but hard to guess what sort of model, etc.

3. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

4. Retroman1969

Retroman1969 Tele-Meister

I used to keep my Strat in a Bass Guitar case, and I believe it was 41" if I recall correctly. It had space in the end with a regular guitar in there, just like yours.

5. BopT

BopT Tele-Afflicted

I believe that is a Jazzmaster case.
    Bop

6. Bonenut

Bonenut TDPRI Member

7. Thinlineggman

Thinlineggman Tele-Afflicted

Maybe a gibson thunderbird? Or explorer?

8. petebrown

petebrown Tele-Meister

With that orange color of the lining, and the tweed exterior, it's probably from 1959.

9. Bonenut

Bonenut TDPRI Member

i don't think it's from a bass because I saw that a Fender Precision is about 47" long.

10. Tele-Champ

Tele-Champ Tele-Holic

Forgive me for hijacking this thread, but my post is somewhat related.

I've got a 1983 Tele (which I bought used in 1990) but I've been told that this is not the original case that came with these '83 Teles - that my case is actually older than the '83 Tele it came in..

Can anyone confirm this or tell me what year this case is that came with my '83?.. Thanx

And good luck, OP, on finding the year of your case. Beautiful vintage Tele and tweed case, by the way!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

I would agree...58 or 59 Vintage.

12. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

That looks normal for an 83 to me ?

13. Bonenut

Bonenut TDPRI Member

Thanks for the help. I'll check out size of a Jazzmaster. I wish it fit a Telecaster because I would use it. I love the look of something that is that old and worn.

14. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Can anyone confirm this or tell me what year this case is that came with my '83?.. Thanx

Fender stopped making those cases in early/late 1978. I have a 77 Strat that has a case exactly like yours. 1978 and later Strats and Teles were shipped in plastic rectangular cases with a big "Fender" on the case.

I also have a CS tele that has a case like yours but the inside is a different color and has G&G tag on the inside of the case, so it's easy to tell the newer CS ones from the older models.

EDIT TO ADD: I just took another look at your pics and noticed the "Made in USA" under the Fender logo. My 77 doesn't have that so maybe Fender slipped in that type of case after the plastic ones. Possible that it is an 83?????

15. Retroman1969

Retroman1969 Tele-Meister

Jazzmaster case makes sense. I apologize, I might be remembering the measurements wrong. But Jazzmasters do require a larger case.

16. lfender523

lfender523 TDPRI Member

My first thought was "Jazzmaster case", also. The puzzling thing about your old tweed case is the rectangular pocket. The pockets in most Fender cases are not rectangular. Look at the black 70's case in the later post. Someone on this board probably knows something about this. it seems like this feature would help identify the case.

17. notdave

notdave Tele-Afflicted

39"

18. mohika

mohika Tele-Meister

I agree, it's probably a Jazzmaster case. Jazzmaster and Jaguar (which came out in '62) cases had rectangular pockets, all sides straight. They were also wider than Tele/Strat cases. Believe they were longer too.
    Tele and Strat cases had angled pockets, like the black case pictured.

19. Bonenut

Bonenut TDPRI Member

I think that it is a Jazzmaster case. I found a picture of a 1961 Jazzmaster in it's case and it looks the same. Thanks for the help. I love this forum!

Attached Files:

20. Tele-Champ

Tele-Champ Tele-Holic

Thanks for the info. I guess the case is then, in fact, older than the '83 Tele it came in. Like I said, I bought the guitar used (with this case), so maybe the previous owner used an older case than the one it originally came in. Or maybe he also bought the guitar used w/ the older case, who knows? I bought this '83 Tele from an ad in the paper in 1990.

I just assumed it was the original case when I bought it, but now I am finding out it's probably an older case - which I have no problem with - it's a great vintage-looking case..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.