Need help identifying metal, and how to clean it.

Midgetje94

Friend of Leo's
Don't some call that "melodic metal"?... :)

Perhaps that there may be a Japanese market for them I reckon?

FWIW, I like them. I'd likely just lightly clean them and keep the patina. Or disperse them into my garden/landscape and let them be who they want to be.

That’s my goal. Don’t want to bring to new shine. Just not look like a penny found at the bottom of a lake lol

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Clean them up real nice, then go on Antiques Roadshow and let them tell you what they could have been worth.:)
The AR can be rough on you, but you should have heard the rear end chewing a guitar tech over in Porterville got one time because he had the audacity to blow the dust out of the back of a guy's five string banjo!

Midgetje94

Friend of Leo's
Went ahead and tried lemon. I’m happy with it. Like I said. Wasn’t trying to make it like new. Just put a bit more life in it and bust down the green build up

Attachments

• CF0C747D-1EEC-4D3A-B81E-010D30C6B857.jpeg
    CF0C747D-1EEC-4D3A-B81E-010D30C6B857.jpeg
    151.8 KB · Views: 29

Flat6Driver

Friend of Leo's
Your standard death metal is going to have a lot of emphasis on lower-pitched, growled, "Cookie Monster" type vocals. Guitars and drums will be forward in the mix, with the bass further back and generally doubling guitar. Expect lots of Locrian mode. Drums will have lots of double bass, and lyrics will generally be unintelligible. cf Suffocation, "Effigy of the Forgotten."

Black metal will have higher pitched vocals, and the guitar riffs will also often be higher pitched - dissonant chords rather than 6th string riffage. This is one reason that black metal often "sounds" faster than death metal - the staccato chunking of death metal makes it easier to discern individual notes, whereas the tremolo-picked chords of black metal have been described as sounding more like a kind of vibration. cf Emperor, "Ye Entranceperium."

Both of these styles are intended to evoke feelings of power and awe in excess of what humans are capable of.

Power metal is much more melodic and accessible than either of these two. Chord progressions are more conventional, using standard major and minor modes that resolve as expected. Lyrics are intended to be heard, although the operatic range of power metal singers means that the layman may have difficulty singing along. cf Stratovarius, "Eagleheart."

Hair metal, while having fallen out of favor around 30 years ago, can still offer a few gems from its heyday. Unapologetically macho, despite its makers wearing brightly colored spandex, makeup, and big hair, lyrics tend to be less than the music played underneath. The yearning arpeggiated chords of Def Leppard's "Hysteria", or the massive chorus riff of the same band's "Pyromania", lead the listener to think the lyrics would be similarly timeless. However, they are not.

Nu metal blended the crunchy guitars of heavy metal with the street aggression of rap. The most famous band to play that style, Korn, did so well, incorporating raw personal lyrics and rejecting the testosterone soaked attitudes at the time, and continued to evolve throughout their career. Alas, the copycats they spawned were generally not able to maintain the same level of quality, and while Wes Borland's guitar work with Limp Bizkit was exemplary, the lyrical themes could often be reduced to "I'm very angry" or "I like to have sex," leading the way for nu metal to become a parody of itself and increasing resistance for later progenitors such as Linkin Park.

I'm not sure why anyone would want clean metal.
I was coming to make a similar comment. I'm never close enough to thread origins to do so.

Midgetje94

Friend of Leo's
Looking good. If she hates them send me a PM. Jackie will love them.

Lol they were given to her by her grandmother. I think she just didn’t think they’d clean up. Or idk. I was on the side of it’s a nice patina. But cleaned it up a little. We will see what she says when she gets home lol