1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Need help identifying a Squire HSS Strat Model

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by GearGeek01, Feb 3, 2021.

1. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 Tele-Meister

I sent a message to the admin of the Squier page that is trying to claim the "S" of "ICS" means "FSR" and called him out on it... there are no references to where he got the info, so with no credible references his info is just hearsay...

There is a lot of that on the Internet. And a lot of people who post things in forums simply by saying "I heard that item was..." but just pass on Urban Legends and false truths with no credible references... its all too common on guitar web sites...

If he replies I'll post his reply here FYI

2. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 Tele-Meister

Just to be clear, I was holding the guitar in my hand and noticed the pole pieces were radiused... not looking at pictures of radiused pole pieces online...

I did consider the pickups had been swapped out (which might even be better) but everything looks stock...

3. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

It was from the Fender website, the page for the CV Mustang. Squiers can be made by Samick (ISS), Cort (ICS), and Grand Reward (CGS or CGR*)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
  4. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

I meant comparing what you saw to what you found online. Some of the cheaper Squiers could have parts that vary in source over time so what one sees in one batch won't match stock imagery for them.

The info you discovered is kinda the general knowledge of the Indonesia's guitar situation over the last decade or so, but it was more of a topic when Indonesian guitars started to appear and when Cort made the big move to there but I am glad you were able to medicate yourself on it and inform your purchase.

5. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 Tele-Meister

I have come up with a new term since first posting... supposedly there is a Squier model called the "HSS Affinity Gold Label"... which at first glance at a guitar named this way on Reverb recently, I thought it was horse apples...

But the guitar the guy is describing to me on Reverb is exactly like the one I found in the pawn shop, down to the solid steel saddles, better finish, the super light weight, and the radius on the single coils...

I bought the guitar yesterday and brought it home. It needs a serious trussrod adjustment and setup, and the strings are as you might expect corroded. The strings are a mile off the frets but its a good project guitar. The FB is also dry as a bone... looks like the desert outside of Phoenix, AZ, LOL...

Here is the exact same model on Reverb... THis guy is asking $300 with shipping, LOL
    https://reverb.com/item/37847009-fender-squier-stratocaster-gold-label-burst-hss

6. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

The seller can call it anything they want but that's never a name Fender/Squier used. I think he was referring to the logo color, which sometimes changes during a Squier model's lifetime. Older, cheaper Affinities would've only been black.

His price is too high for any used Affinity.

7. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 Tele-Meister

IMHO, I think he is just pulling the "Gold Label" name out of his butt-cheeks and using it for stupid people who don't know any better so he can add 2x's to the price... If you click on his username on there, it takes you to his store where he has even more over-priced items. Just because Squier decided to use gold ink to screen print their name on the head stock doesn't mean its something like a "custom shop" Squier as he is inferring. Or some kind of special anything besides what it is, a simple, cheap Squier Affinity.

Like this regular Affinity Strat he is asking $369.00 + $59.99 s/h... in other words $428.99... hahaha... I need about a pound and a half of whatever that guy is smoking.
    https://reverb.com/item/38305358-squier-standard-stratocaster-with-maple-fretboard-2001

There should be a law against people who try to take advantage of less knowledgeable people or young teenagers or younger than that people that might get sucked into his advertising lies. Then tell their parents who know even less about guitars they want that certain one off Reverb,,, I think a million dollar fine and ten years in prison with Bubba is about right....

I suppose its a free country and folks can wrap a ribbon around a turd and sell it as a 1,000 carat flawless diamond. (Wow, its a very rare flawless brown diamond, there are only 3 in the entire world...LOL). As long as we have a free market system, in Latin its "caveat emptor" which is roughly "buyer beware"... Not sure how the guy can live with himself doing that stuff, but some folks have zero conscience when it comes to taking money from babies.

8. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Affinity Strats were $199 new, but went up to $229 in 2020. And, some Squiers just went up in price in 2021, but they didn't. They're still $229.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.