Need help ID-ing Tremolo

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by HockeyPop98, Jun 9, 2019.

1. HockeyPop98

HockeyPop98 Tele-Holic

I picked up a really sweet Brian May-style Red Special (made in Vietnam by IYV Guitars) for a literal STEAL at a local auction fo $32. It has a solid sapele body, is brand new, not a blemish anywhere, and plays really sweet with the zero fret (per my 20 yr-old worship/blues/rock player son). The only thing it is missing is the tremolo arm.

I'm getting ready to do a set up on it for him, and before I block the trem (he usually opts for one of his hard tails over one with a trem), I thought I'd do a shout out to the best guitar forum in the universe to see if anyone happened to buy this particular trem for a build, and remember where they bought it. Our local GC had no trem that would fit. If I can find one, it'll at least give him the option of whether to let it float or not.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Hammerhead likes this.
  2. Zuzax

Zuzax Tele-Afflicted

I'd approach it the other way around. Take the trem (or the whole guitar) to an old-fashioned hardware store (that has the aisle nwith cabinets filled with every sized bolt) and experiment with bolts to see what size the threaded hole is. Once you know the size you can most likely find a fit from some internet seller.

Matthias and HockeyPop98 like this.
  3. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Looks a lot like the trem on my SX PRS clone, it didn't come with a arm either. I ordered a arm for it on Amazon, it's supposed to get here next week after waiting 1 month. Slow boat.
    It's a 6mm size. None of the supplier's listed the thread pitch, so I'm guessing they're the same.
    BTW: If the arm wiggles slightly in the tremolo block, it's because it's supposed to have a small spring and ball in the hole, import guitars often omit these parts. In fact, some of them have a hole that goes all the way through the block.

HockeyPop98 and bender66 like this.
  4. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

I have the IYV SG with Vibrola. Very good guitar for the price, yours even moreso (I paid slightly more after an issue. The Amazon seller was very kind).

I think a member or 2 over at AGF got that Brian May copy. If you have no luck give me a holler.

It looks like the Wilkinson trem actually.

HockeyPop98 likes this.
  5. HockeyPop98

HockeyPop98 Tele-Holic

Thanks, can you let me know if it fits ok when you get it? I'll pick up some 6mm screws with different thread counts and see if that's my size.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

6. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

will do

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.