1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Need help housebreaking a dog

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by quackerz, Jun 25, 2010.

1. quackerz

quackerz Tele-Afflicted

My wife bought a beagle pup several months ago as a 50th birthday present to herself. Beagles are stubborn little guys, sweet and loving but will knock you off a roof to get to a potato chip. This is the third beagle we have owned and the fifth in my family, so we're used to the breed's idiosyncrasies. The problem is this particular dog refuses to be housebroken. In all honesty, he's not the brightest dog I have owned but I have never had an issue with housebreaking before so I am no expert on the subject. All the dogs I've owned in the past had just 'gotten it' after praising and rewarding them for doing their business outside several times. This dog just doesn't get it. He'll relieve himself outside then come back in the house for a repeat performance. He knows he is wrong as he avoids us after doing the deed, but that never stops him. We walk him constantly and let him loose in the yard several times a day so he's definitely not lacking for outside space and smells, yet he is never good more than 50% of the time.

Any recommendations? Thanks much!

2. ASC67

ASC67 Friend of Leo's

Some puppies take longer than others, I think the key is you have to catch him in the act and scold right away and then take him outside. Hopefully he will get it after a few times. Another thing is you have to make sure you get rid of the scent of where he has gone inside, get an enzymatic stain and odor remover from the pet store that will get rid of all traces of the scent. If you don't he will still smell it and will encourage him to keep going inside. Good luck and be patient he will get it eventually.

3. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

4. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Yes, the odor remover ("Nature's Miracle") is an excellent idea.

Also, use positive reinforcement only. Don't shout at him for going indoors, just ignore him and clean it up. He'll get it eventually.

5. quackerz

quackerz Tele-Afflicted

Thanks ASC67! That's a relief because that is EXACTLY what we are currently doing. I guess it's just a waiting game now.

Thanks all for the info!

6. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity

+1
    My limited experience with puppy, he first learns you are not happy wh\en he does his thing, so he hides then he learns your happy when he does it outside. Just a patience game

7. prawnik

prawnik Tele-Holic

In my limited experience (I am a cat, remember) male dogs seem to "get it" about the time they start taking a keener interest in marking territory and smelling what other dogs had left.

8. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

One other important technique is to take them out immediately after they drink or have a meal. Praise is very imporant. Going to that first puppy training class is also a big pay-off later on. Its as much a people training class as a puppy training one. Best of luck with the pup.

9. allen st. john

allen st. john Friend of Leo's

Do you crate him? They tend to avoid going where they sleep, and our pup gradually figured out the whole house was her "den."
    That worked great for our Golden pup, but she was a pretty quick study even though we got her in the dead of winter.
    I don't think that "scolding" really works that well, especially since you're not trying to get him to stop peeing altogether (as opposed to biting or chewing shoes), just do it in a different place.
    Good luck. He'll figure it out.

10. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

get a book by Cesar Milan or watch him on Nat'l geog. you will need more advice on many more things and his methods are the absolute best IMHO.

Cheers ce24

have fun with your pet!

11. Dmann

Dmann Tele-Meister

I've been told beagals are particularly hard to house break.

If he is an Un-neutered male it could be marking behavior. In that case clipping him will probably do a lot to curb that behavior.

If is avoiding you while you are trying to correct him it is possible that he doesn't know why your correcting him and is just avoiding the correction. He may not actually know its wrong. I believe in compulsory dog training and mixing praise and correction, but you got to make sure the dog is understanding the correction. Its harder with a beagle or many hounds because it seems like they will endure a correction to get what they want.

Conventional wisdom is that you need to confine the dog to a small area like a crate where if he pees he can not avoid it. Then you control how much liquid you give him while your training, some dogs you will have to control for ever.

When its time to take him out don't just let him out in the yard, put a leash on him and walk him to where you want him to go or where he will go and praise him, take the lease off and play his favorite game. I dont' like using treats to train food oriented dogs like beagles their drive for food is so high they focus on the food and don't get the training message.

The other thing to think about is how much praise and attention the dog gets for just breathing. If you are having a difficult training problem it sometimes helps to freeze the dog out. Try ignoring the dog for two weeks, just feed and excersise. (no one makes it two weeks) Dogs are social and this starts to wear on them and the start getting needy and more receptive to the positive rewards you are giving when training.

Does he show other dominance issues, is the dog allowed on the couch, sleep on the bed? Does it run out of the house before you leave. Your training issue maybe related to your relationship with the dog and the fact the dog doesn't believe it has to do what you say. In that case start over with the basic obedience.

Hounds will try your patience but if you stick with it consistently they will fall into line. You have to be more stubborn then the dog.

12. telebld

telebld TDPRI Member

Ahh, the quirks of animal behavior. My girlfriend is a veterinarian and you should hear some of the things that go on. Its very entertaining.

Seriously though, we had a dog that was doing the same thing. We would walk the dog longer to allow it more time to do it's thing. We also would put little dishes of food around the house where it was relieving itself. Dogs generally won't do their business where they eat. Sometimes this isn't an option do to other animals in the house, but its a great trick. Good luck, he'll get it eventually.

13. dickey

dickey Friend of Leo's

My Ex, who I still live with, bought a diaper for my chihuahua. I told her " Either he wears it all the time, which he does, or he's GONE!" Been a year now & it works so far!

14. Agave_Blue

Agave_Blue Friend of Leo's

Crate training is a good suggestion; it relies on the universal principal of you don't crap where you sleep.

I've also heard that Beagles are a PITA to train. But you're already familiar with the breed, so that should be no surprise. A freind had one that he described as, "dumb as a box of rocks." Maybe you got one that's worse than most.

All I know for sure is that our (Welsh) Terrier was house broke in about a week. Truely amazing how quickly she "got it".

15. ldnelson

ldnelson Tele-Meister

i read a gazillion books when i got my first pup, and by far hands down the best one was "How to be Your Dog's Best friend" by the Monks of New Skeet, just loaded with great advice

16. slickschoppers

slickschoppers Tele-Holic

BS... if you catch him going on the floor, scold the crap out of him and give him a good swat or two or three.

go ahead read ceasar milan's books.. he is right 99% of the time... but that 1% HE NEVER MENTIONS is that dogs are pack animals that also use CORPORAL PUNISHMENT.... if you have a group of dogs with a well established living area and one of them used it for a bathroom, the pack leader would lay into them.....

go ahead, do what you want, and everyone jump on the "never hit a dog" bandwagon.... but it works....... and does not "tramatize" your dog. it does however reinforce just who the pack leader is.

17. djphelan01

djphelan01 Tele-Holic

+1 on crate training. You do have to make sure the crate isn't too big that the dog can go in it and then move away from the gift he just left you. It needs to be samll so that if he goes he has to sit or sleep in it. I was having trouble with my bulldog and that is what worked great for me. Bulldogs are not the smartest either.

18. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

have you ever watched his show?
    His main point always is that dogs are pack animals and that the human needs to become the pack leader by making the dog submit to your dominance.

Ceasar always uses corporal punishment but with a dog style pack leader point of reference. he will use his hand as a mouth and subdue the miscreant member until he submits as would a pack leader in the dog world.

Cheers
    cee24

19. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity

+1
    and "good dog bad dog"

20. AZMike

AZMike Tele-Meister

This has always worked for me: for the wet stuff, wipe it up with a rag you don't mind losing, and take that rag out to a tree and/or part of the yard you would like the dog to use as a bathroom. Leave it there, maybe even stake it. For the solid stuff, scoop it and take it out to the same place.

Then take the puppy out to that area regularly, and praise the hell out of he/she when it goes in the designated area. Also, don't yell or swat or any of that stuff when it happens inside, and be sure to clean up the smell inside.

All positive, and dogs generally aim to please.

Mike

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.