1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Need help from the wiring guys.......

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Ghostdriver, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Ghostdriver

Ghostdriver Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

ok, so here's the deal, just finished a Tele build and have completed the wiring.
    Now I have built a few Tele's in my time and normally dont have any wiring issues but this one has got me !

So, details, its a twin humbucker job, the neck hum bucker i bought second hand from Ebay, its an Epiphone G-400, and only has a red wire and an unshielded surrounding bare wire which I have taken to be ground.

The bridge pickup is one I have used many times, a Warman single coil size twin rail humbucker with four wires, red and white taped off leaving a green 'live' and a black ground, no problem.

So, plugged in, bridge pickup all good in bridge only and centre position, fine and dandy.

The neck not so, getting a tinny barely able to hear it at all sound.

Checked all my connections, nothing seems off or detached, did a multimeter reading on the G-400 wires and got a good 8.38ohm readout, so not really sure what i have or haven't done somewhere, I am wondering if its due to this pickup only having the two wires ??

See wiring photos below :-
    2020-10-26 16.05.18.jpg 2020-10-26 16.04.58.jpg

please excuse poor soldering , hope it helps, thought it was straightforward this one, but not so apparently, I know you guys will solve the mystery !!

cheers

2. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

So in the neck only position you get the tinny sound?

3. Ghostdriver

yes seems to be very faint as well !

4. Lowerleftcoast

I assume your 8.38ohm is indeed an 8.38k ohm reading.

If we assume the connections are indeed good ie 8.38k ohms it makes me think the magnet is weak.

Confirm the ohm reading and then place a small screwdriver to the poles/screws to check for magnetism.

5. Ghostdriver

yes the ohm reading is right and the screw heads are attracting the screwdriver with as much magnetic pull as on the bridge pickup....

Lowerleftcoast likes this.
  6. Lowerleftcoast

Try the pickup directly to the output jack. Not going thru the pot.

7. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

If the pickup is reading at or near spec, a really weak/tinny sound is often the result of an open ground from the pickup's lead.

You have alligator/crocodile jumper leads, right?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078B7JN2G/

Jumper the neck pickup's hot and ground directly to the output jack and see if that gets you full pickup volume. By doing this, you're effectively bypassing the pots, cap, and switch.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    Ghostdriver likes this.
  8. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I don’t know what is wrong there; but if that came to me, the entire circuit gets redone.

9. Ghostdriver

ok, will try that, but if it works where do I go from there ?

10. Ghostdriver

is it that bad ?

11. Wally

it may well work, and I have seen much, much worse. I am picky, perhaps. The best thing I can say is that you have a good, hot iron and apply the solder fairly well. There are connections that I don’t like. Ex: the lead from the volume pot to the tone pot. Ex: the connection on the switch to the volume pot. Ex: the grounded lug the volume pot. I don't care for that shielding being taken to ground in that manner. There are connections with excessive bare wire.
    When I wire pickups to a toggle switch, the grounds will go to the ground side of that switch, and I will have a wire from there to the rest of the circuit. This is a minor point, but that is one aspect I would do differently.

12. Ghostdriver

ran a jumper cable from pickup to jack......Boom, all cool !

turns out brand new switch was the problem, had a spare and now everything is as it should be, thank you for your help old chap!

13. Ghostdriver

thank you for your appraisal of my wiring effort, I will certainly take it on board, it didn’t help at all in solving the problem that I asked initially, thankfully someone else did offer the right solution.

Weazel and Wally like this.
  14. Wally

I don’t use those made in Asia switches. If you study the way the switch works, it is likely that you can bend the contacts into a proper working relationship. Sometimes these switches also have a problem with the shape of the switching toggle’s plastic tip. I have reshaped at least one of those with a file to make the movement smooth.

teleplayr likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.