Need help deciding: a guitar that complements the Telecaster

teleGramPete

TDPRI Member
Something with filtertrons or P90's. You'll find anything else with dual PAF style humbuckers muddy from what you described about the music you play
Indeed, I have found most humbucker guitars muddy and not inspiring. (as much as I want to love them)

teleGramPete

TDPRI Member
My Gretsch Anniversary has been getting a lot of live lately. It complements a Telecaster where a Strat competes with it. FilterTrons are also less dark and muddy than Gibson humbuckers. A Telecaster sounds great next to a Gretsch, especially clean because the complementary voices don’t compete for the same space.
Wow, thanks for sharing this.

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
Line 6 Variax. They are the ultimate swiss army knife for recording. I have two - both the acoustic and electric versions. And I also have over 20 other guitars, but the Variax is a very easy way to play with tones until you find what you are looking for without having to pull twenty guitars out of the middle bedroom.

yegbert

Poster Extraordinaire
I’d play a few to see which ones fit your needs in both sound and body size. I have a Gibson ES335 with humbuckers and it’s nice but feels sorta big. My son has a Gretsch Tennessean with HiLoTrons that feels smaller and lighter. Consider whether you want a Bigsby. They look cool but do you really want the functionality of one? Or how about an acoustic?

nvilletele

Friend of Leo's
Lots of great suggestions already. Here are mine.

My first choice would be a strat. I have 3 teles (one HS, one SS, and one with 2 P90s (is that a PP?)) and one strat.

I also have a killer Tokai Love Rock Custom, LP style, from the lawsuit years. A Les Paul might be something to consider, of whatever variety (my has has an Epi LP).

I once had a nice Ibanez Art Star 335 clone, but just didn’t dig the Gibson scale length, and it got sold. I wouldn’t recommend a 335, but clearly it has many fans. Just not my thing.

I always wanted a Jazzmaster, but never had one. Cant go wrong with one, I would think.

Good luck!

Jupiter

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Do you have a budget?

Otherwise I would just say that anything with PAF-type HBs or P90s should be different enough to complement your tele. More vintage-type underwound PAFs will be less muddy. Same for P90s actually; underwound ones tend to sound clearer.

Alternatively, I put a TVJones classic+ (filtertron) in the bridge position of a partscaster. Still different from a tele sound but NOBODY would ever call that one muddy…

985plowboy

Poster Extraordinaire
A D-28. Frequency-wise, it is the most complimentary guitar to electric guitars in general.
Yep. I’m a 28 series Martin man myself. 18 series are equally nice but in a different way.
I find, especially in a recording scenario when tones can be easily manipulated, that a Tele can do as well as most.
I’ve never found a digital electric sound that truly captured an acoustic.

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Another strong vote for the ES-335.

It's a great guitar, and it pairs well with a Tele, in my opinion.

I love Gretsches, too, especially with Dynasonics, but tonally they can be quite similar to a Tele, and I interpret the "pairing" request as something ELSE, to cover different territory.

EDIT: though, if the question is what other single guitar pairs well with my ONLY guitar which is a Tele, then I'd advise getting an acoustic, no question. I always assume with questions like this ... doesn't every guitar player own an acoustic?

teleGramPete

TDPRI Member
Another strong vote for the ES-335.

It's a great guitar, and it pairs well with a Tele, in my opinion.

I love Gretsches, too, especially with Dynasonics, but tonally they can be quite similar to a Tele, and I interpret the "pairing" request as something ELSE, to cover different territory.

EDIT: though, if the question is what other single guitar pairs well with my ONLY guitar which is a Tele, then I'd advise getting an acoustic, no question. I always assume with questions like this ... doesn't every guitar player own an acoustic?
Of course I own an acoustic (actually two). :twisted:

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
Humbuckers. Nothing radical and overdriven modern, something traditional and known to be sweet.

At the low end, a set neck Epi. Gibson if you want to spend. LP is nice. SG is very nice and more comfortable thickness/weight wise, but a slightly different physical feel. LP Junior/Special kind of in the middle: thinner and lighter than an LP.

If you don't want to jump to humbuckers because they sound too warm to your Tele/Strat tuned ears, then run up the middle and get something with mini-humbuckers. the ones with the pole pieces, not flat tops.

Last edited:

Call Me Al

Tele-Meister
semi hollow HH (I got an Ibanez Artcore, fraction of the cost of a Gibson, and a great player). I love it, including for recording.

teletimetx

Doctor of Teleocity
might also sorta kinda depend on any particular song.

Might be less expensive to swap pickups on one of your existing tele than buying another guitar.

roots rock - maybe a p90
americana - maybe a mini-humbucker or you got a Strat and the glassy clean or slight quack on the 2 or 4 position?
or one of those fashionable single coil gold foils a la cootercaster?
or a hot wound dual rails bridge

there are many, many pickup options out there. I mean, I'd hate to talk anyone out of buying another guitar, but pickups might get you where you want to go.

Telecaster88

Tele-Afflicted
+1000

Edit: Epi 339, decent humbuckers that split to single coils so if ever the tele was off the road, it could fulfill both roles?

The Epi, while not a replacement for a tele, really blew me away with its ability to cover a lot of ground

Love my Epi 339. Really great, really versatile guitar. Contrasts nicely with a Tele.

Personally, I love my Tele playing jangly, chimey chords with my Strat playing single note lines on top.