1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Need help buying a Baja Telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by TwoToneTony51, Oct 21, 2020.

1. TwoToneTony51

TwoToneTony51 NEW MEMBER!

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here on tdpri, and after months of looking at baja telecasters and researching all about them, I'd love your opinions on some of these guitars that I have found, and if any of you could answer my questions that would be great.

First of all, what are your thoughts on the colour of a Baja telecaster? I fell in love with the desert sand colour but I could never find one for sale. I then thought to myself seeing as this is my first telecaster, maybe i should go for the classic butterscotch blonde.

Second, I have found a couple of Baja's for sale on ebay, what questions should I ask the seller that may be helpful to me and to reassure myself that i am getting what i paid for?

And finally, should I worry about the year it was built or are all Baja's the same? I'm looking for the Baja with twisted tele's and broadcaster pickups, which I think is the 50's edition.

Would it possible to give me your thoughts on these two Baja's for sale, if I should go for one them or wait for something better to come about.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/fender-telecaster-baja/1387455096

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-C...020176?hash=item3febae7b10:g:lj0AAOSwgbpfgwil

Sorry for the long post, I hope somebody can help.

Kind Regards.

2. Coyoteaz

Coyoteaz TDPRI Member

I'd go for the top one. Those are fantastic guitars!

TwoToneTony51 likes this.
  3. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Meister

I'm a little skint right now, hit me up next week:D
    Oh yeah, blond one!

4. TwangerWannabe

TwangerWannabe Tele-Holic

Only think I've noticed is when they first started building them a while back they were pretty light. Seems like more recent models are a bit heavier, but that can obviously vary from guitar to guitar. Original yet was just a 50''s model and many loved this one for the pickups and chunky neck. Later on they released a 60's model with a slimmer neck I think. I'll always think of the 50's Baja as the real, original Baja.

jim777 and TwoToneTony51 like this.
  5. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The black Baja was not that common; it's not worth more or anything, just not a color that many people chose.

Pick what you like best. I don't think there were many - if any - changes across the production years.

6. Downsman

Downsman Tele-Meister

If you want to add some extra colour options, the Vintera 50s Modified Tele according to Fender is identical to the old Baja except for a satin finish on the back of the neck and the neck tint. Of the two you linked to, you need to figure out how much the hard case is worth to you. You should be able to find the guitar itself for around £500-550 if you aren't in a rush.

TwangerWannabe and TwoToneTony51 like this.
  7. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

50s for the chunky neck, 60s for the skinny ones.

Very few players seem to use the S-1 switch.

Vintera models replaced the Baja.

The 4-way switch can be added to any Tele for the $12 switch to give you the series humbucking stealth Les Paul.
    This is the path I go, it's my favorite Tele mod.
    So if you want just the 4-way feature, get a Player Series Tele you like and mod in the 4-way.

8. Tele22

Tele22 Tele-Meister

I have the black 50’s model, but put on a white pick guard. It always sounds good cranked up, and navigates between Les Paul and Stratocaster territory.

TwoToneTony51 and spurgie79 like this.
  9. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Afflicted

I own a black Baja '50s because that was the only one I could get a really good deal on at the time. By that time I already owned two other Teles with a BSB finish so it didn't matter to me what colour the Baja was.

However, since you say this is going to be your first Tele, I'd say go with the BSB one. The first Tele I bought was Chrome Red in colour and even though I love that particular Tele (it's my #1) and the colour of it, I remember at the time wishing that I owned one with the classic BSB finish. Eventually I did get my first BSB Tele, but it was several years later.

10. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

different colour options available with the Viintera 50ds modified, but obviously a little more pricey. But basically the same guitar.

I personally buck the trend re the S1 - I really like those sounds, but the traditional position 4 sound does nothing for me.

11. TwoToneTony51

TwoToneTony51 NEW MEMBER!

Thank you guys for all the replies! It really helped. Im going to look more into the vintera model now before making a decision.

I'll make sure to post a picture of my final purchase!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.