Need folks with sharp ears to help me identify the effects in this song

Billkwando

TDPRI Member
I'm planning to do a guitar cover video of my favorite Joe Satriani song (not his best, just the one that is dear to me cos it's so weird) and I want to make it sound as exactly like the album as possible (call it a tribute, hehe). I already bought a Rockman for it, but I don't know which parts to use it on for sure (or maybe I do and I just want some confirmation). I'm basically wondering which distortions and other effects (and pickup changes..."this part is neck") are being used for the non-clean parts (and in which specific parts...specific times in the video would be helpful, as well) and where they come and go:

According to Joe's book, this is the gear he used for Not of This Earth:

1678379592490.png

I know the "verse" parts are 2 harmonizing guitars, so that's a factor. I'm not sure if I'm hearing chorus on that part or not, so let me know what your keen ears are picking up. I just know it sounds pretty huge. I'm also trying to figure out he gets that grindy, almost mechanical sounding distortion in the verses, like on the vibratos....it almost sounds like the clipping is spaced out....not sure how to describe it.

Any help and advice, especially from folks with experience with these specific effects, would be greatly appreciated. It could be that the whole thing is Rockman (I know most of the clean sounds on the album are), I just need to know how to make them sounds! ;)

I do know that at one point in the song, he said he had aluminum foil on the pickups, not sure how or why... LOL

The scariest part, what he's actually doing on the guitar, I've mostly got figured out, thanks to watching a 4 hour lesson from the man himself, where he basically tells you how to do every weird thing he ever did (and the tab book, which I've had since the 90's when I was in high school....which wasn't much help on the weird parts).

Friends, guitarists, fellow countrymen, lend me your ears!!! :D

Thanks!!!

Last edited:

dlew919

Doctor of Teleocity
Hmmm.

I know his Ds-1 is keeley modified.

also he uses a bit less distortion than you think.

Billkwando

TDPRI Member
I've been listening to some OD-1 pedal demos, and I don't normally think I have a great ear for pedals, but it sounds pretty distinctive, almost like a "stuffed up nose" kinda sound. I think that's maybe what I'm hearing at 3:52 of the song (I used to think it was just a switch to the neck pickup, but it could still be that as well) but I could be crazy. I also kinda feel like I might be hearing it on the melody too, but maybe I'm on crack.

Edit: Just picked up a 1984 OD-1 on ebay for $290 with tax and shipping included. The condition looks amazing. US seller, too! :D

I like that there's basically only one knob, so the sound you get is "the sound", haha. Not much to mess up there!

1678409405100.png

Last edited:

codamedia

Poster Extraordinaire
I already bought a Rockman for it, but I don't know which parts to use it on for sure (or maybe I do and I just want some confirmation).

I would lay bets the clean guitar parts are all Rockman. There are two Rockman cleans and I can distinctly hear them both being used. It's throughout the song, but the best place to point out the difference is at 2:05. The arpeggio chord picking is Clean 2, the country style popping guitar over it is clean 1.

The primary dirty parts don't sound like Rockman to me, but some of the layers could be.

Billkwando

TDPRI Member
I would lay bets the clean guitar parts are all Rockman. There are two Rockman cleans and I can distinctly hear them both being used. It's throughout the song, but the best place to point out the difference is at 2:05. The arpeggio chord picking is Clean 2, the country style popping guitar over it is clean 1.

The primary dirty parts don't sound like Rockman to me, but some of the layers could be.

Yeah, the clean parts on most of the album are all unmistakably Rockman. :D

The title track, it's literally right there, the first seconds of the album. All I could afford was a Soloist, but at least it has that sound, for sure.

The arpeggio chord picking is Clean 2, the country style popping guitar over it is clean 1.

I was kinda worried about being able to play both of those parts, together live, but it turns out the chord is on 6 & 7, and the popping part is on 7 and 9, so it's all right there together....very convenient (even if I'll probably just settle for one guitar sound for both). I can A/B the Rockman into my effects chain, but I kinda gotta pick a sound and stick with it, unless I want to reach over and switch it, mid-song, hahahaha.

1678460450127.png

If he's really not using Edge or Dist, that frees up the Rockman for the clean parts, for which it is 100% the right tool for the job. I thought I was going to have to sub in my ol' DOD FX65. Do you think there's any chorus on any of the leads? I wasn't sure, since the doubled guitar throws me off.

Still sounds pretty good for an album recorded on a $5K credit card that they were foolish enough to pre-approve and mail to Joe. ;)

In case anyone's curious about The Squares.

Last edited: