Need drive/distortion pedal suggestions for my rig??

Midgetje94

Tele-Afflicted
Get a JHS @+. (Andy Timmons signature) has a boost (essentially a low drive tube screamer. You can adjust the level.) and then a main drive. I have a couple different boost because I like to stack. And they are set and forget for different styles.

but if someone were to say I can only have one drive. Well I’d probably laugh at them. But could do just about anything with the @+.

image.jpg

Recently cut my board down to be more practical with what I use. No longer need to run a second power supply. And honestly glad I did. Had a bunch of fun pedals that never got used. So I put cool Velcro patches in the empty space. But yea. Check out the JHS

alexman

TDPRI Member
Have you considered a big muff.my wife bought me a big muff deluxe a few years ago for my birthday. I think it is pretty versatile some folks may disagree but it's perfect in my opinion.

sxl213

TDPRI Member
Beware of the kazoo sound that so many distort pedals provide. Rather, try a boost - my Db+ works for me. I have read great write ups on the nocture jr. barnyard pedal. pricey tho.

Yuro

Tele-Meister
2019 Fender road worn telecaster with stock Tex mex pickups, Fender Pro Junior IV with stock Jensen 10” Alnico.
I have a Joyo vintage pedal that whenever I kick it on there seems to be a noticeable drop off of thickness to the tone. What pedals would you suggestions for a good thick creaminess ala a cranked tube amp. I primarily play rhythm and want my chords to cut through and push when I step on the pedal. Not into metal. More into 60’s and 70’s tones.

You don't want a distortion pedal if you want chords to cut through. I love my Joyo AC TONE because it has great Bass, Mid and Treble knobs plus a knob that allows you to change the emphasis frequency plus a drive knob plus a level. I set it so, with guitar wide open it's a little fatter than I'll probably want and a little louder than I'll probably want. Then back off my guitar volume. It's very pleasing. With volume backed off, you can play chords yet single notes really come through for vamping etc. If I get an opportunity to solo, I crank my volume nearly up and it's fat and dirty and just plain fun.

Put a compressor before it and a Java Boost after it and extend the fun.

Put a Roland Space Echo, set conservatively, after all that and you have a pretty magic combination for most any clean-ish amp.

I have a lot of amps but this works well with my Pro Jr. II with mods for more clean power. Turn off the dirty button. It's rubbish. Set Gain knob to about 4 and master to suit your needs. Avoid fuzzing out anything. That's what kills your ability to cut through.

E5RSY

Doctor of Teleocity
I often use a similar set-up of a '60s Baja into a PJ IV.

The PJ is already very mid-heavy, so any Tube Screamer or variant thereof does not sound good with them, in my opinion.

The main two I use with my set-up, and get great sounds (IMO):

DSC07485.JPG

fenderchamp

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
What pedals would you suggestions for a good thick creaminess ala a cranked tube amp. I primarily play rhythm and want my chords to cut through and push when I step on the pedal.

Without any context, and understand what you are asking for really isn't that simple of a thing to achieve consistently and is more about the player than the gear, I think you need to talk to the sound engineer, and you and your bandmates probably need to work on dynamics and tones as a unit.

Hopefully you are not playing unmiked in a three piece or something.

Ultimately you probably want to turn up your amp, and or maybe use something with hotter pickups or humbuckers?

Teles are, though I love them lord knows, not really "thick creamy", classic rock "ala Bad-Co" power chord machines, and a Pro Junior (I'm not sure about the IV) needs to be turned up to do it's magic.

Most of the little solid state "dirt" devices that we buy and love to stomp on don't really "push you through" a band mix all that well, I don't know how many times I've heard somebody stomp on their tube screamer and just disappear in the mix, just like a small swarm of bees behind a closed door.

I'd try turning up, and possibly slamming the amp a little bit with a clean boost pedal like a SHO, or some kind of a compressor and riding the tone and volume knobs.

I might even start with the pedal you have and turn the volume up, and the gain down and mess around with the tone knobs a bit on the pedal and the amp (If a pro Jr IV has tone knobs).

More dirt usually means, more lost in the mix. More presence will pop you right over the band, but maybe not in the way you like.

DeepDangler

Tele-Holic
I’d try a Boss OD3 or OS2. Both are good medium gain pedals with a thick sound. If you need high gain but not metal, try a RAT.

Tweeker

TDPRI Member
2019 Fender road worn telecaster with stock Tex mex pickups, Fender Pro Junior IV with stock Jensen 10” Alnico.
I have a Joyo vintage pedal that whenever I kick it on there seems to be a noticeable drop off of thickness to the tone. What pedals would you suggestions for a good thick creaminess ala a cranked tube amp. I primarily play rhythm and want my chords to cut through and push when I step on the pedal. Not into metal. More into 60’s and 70’s tones.

I will suggest a few out of the box boxes that I own.
I'm also a chordal player with a Pro Junior (older version, but close enough). I like my Blackstone Mosfet OD with almost anything, but it is surprisingly tweakable (including the option to swap capacitors), and can thicken a boxy sounding Pro Junior and maintain clarity.

Same for a new kid on the block, the Aclam Windmiller.

Dik Ellis

Tele-Holic
Any excuse to post pics of pedals. What's your flavor?
Browne Protein stackable BB and Nobels type. Smooth and awesome. The reviews are right, impossible to find a bad setting.
RYRA Klone. No description needed. Love this one for K type. And it's made in Tejas for bonus points. Oxblood knobs are good for you.
Like Rats? How about a tube driven Rat style with a tube stage boost? Nasty!
Or maybe you're a preamp guy. 2 tube traced clone of JCM-800 preamp section, as close to a real amp in a box as you can get. And don't need a full stack to get there. Although I'd never talk anyone out of a stack!
3 12AX7 tubes in a full line clone of Mesa's Dual Rec Solo Channel. What could possibly go wrong? Overdrive? 3 preamp tubes spitting fire!
Or, if you dabble in fuzz too, the Beetronix Royal Jelly has 2 identically controlled sides so you can have a light and heavy OD or an OD and a fuzz, or any combination. Order is not switchable but the neat thing about this one is you can have an OD and a fuzz that are very different but also have the exact same EQ tone without worrying about volume differences.
I love everything Spaceman does. The Apollo VII is a rich and simple medium gain OD that you cannot make sound anything but great.

View attachment 888398
View attachment 888399
View attachment 888400

View attachment 888401
View attachment 888402
View attachment 888403 View attachment 888406
Yow!!!

Maguchi

Tele-Afflicted
TC Electronic VPD-1 Vintage Pre-Drive. Nice round thicker boost without altering the EQ. Or sometimes I've just used a Boss GE-7 Equalizer pedal and set my EQ sliders how I want them, then move the level slider up until I get the boost I want. I've also used the TC Electronic Spark Booster (regular size, not the mini), but haven't had it that long yet, but so far I've been very happy with it.

TCElectronic | Product | VPD1 VINTAGE PRE-DRIVE
favicon.ico
www.tcelectronic.com

https://www.boss.info/us/products/ge-7/

TCElectronic | Product | SPARK BOOSTER
favicon.ico
www.tcelectronic.com