1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Need computer advice.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by mnutz, Feb 28, 2018.

1. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

I'm not totally computer illiterate, but close. I do everything on my phone and have for years. I haven't owned a desktop since Pentiums were the hot thing. Maybe they were never hot, what do I know?

Anyway I need to buy a desktop. My wife is an artist, sells online, and wants to start a YouTube channel. She wants a cheap desktop to do video editing. Just short clips for YouTube, etc.

Budget is about $500 for desktop and monitor.

How is this one? Am I close, or all wrong? Thanks!

https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16883161254

Is this a good deal? Is there a better place to buy from?

Thanks!

Geo likes this.
  2. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

I think that would work just fine.

I bought one of those refurbished Dells off newegg for a simple office PC to do taxes and such on.

Been working great.

mnutz likes this.
  3. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

Thanks!

4. jsp737

jsp737 Tele-Meister

I've bought several refurbished or scratch and dent Dell's over the years and never had an issue, sometimes as much as half off retail.
    Also check Dell's outet site for refurb's and scratch and dent.

mnutz likes this.
  5. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

I just bought a new Lenovo, 12g of RAM and a TB hard drive for around 450 at Best Buy

mnutz and Milspec like this.
  6. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

7. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

I just did this a few months ago for recording and video shoots for my website. There are fantastic deals in desktops these days, expecially if you go with a tower instead of all the mini and micro towers. I ended up spending $450 for Lenova full tower with a smoking fast late generation i7 and a crap load of memory. My advice is that you look for a tower system that has been discontinued, at least an i5 chip, usb 3.0 ports, plenty of RAM memory (12-16), and dual drives. Put the operating system on one drive and keep your data on the second drive or you can just use an external drive for storage...they are cheap either way. Depending on your monito choice, you should do okay on $500.

mnutz likes this.
  8. WisconsinStrings

WisconsinStrings Tele-Afflicted

I wouldn't go with the i3 from Best Buy, but the Dell looks good. I've bought from Newegg before - with good luck. I've never bought a referb though.

Is the refurbished computer reliced?! :)

gkterry and mnutz like this.
  9. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I bought a refurbised Dell Optiplex last year on Amazon for about $300. It's worked pretty well for me and it's one I can upgrade easily if I want/need to.

You can get a decent monitor for around $100. I even lucked into a perfectly good 19"w HP monitor at a local thrift store for $3.

mnutz likes this.
  10. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Friend of Leo's

Best Buy: If it's not urgent sign up for deal of day and watch for a good computer deal.

mnutz likes this.
  11. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Friend of Leo's

I also just bought a Lenovo think station refurbished through Wally world.com for 105 but there aren;t any more.

Look at WM.com and Amazon for refurbished. If you are a veteran get the new Veteran ID and look at AFEES

mnutz likes this.
  12. thegreatshocka

thegreatshocka Tele-Meister

That Dell would work fine for video editing, the only thing I would add is a cheap nVidia card like a GTX 1050 or 1050 Ti if you can find one that isn't outrageously priced. A dedicated video card will speed up editing/rendering in most modern video production suites.

mnutz likes this.
  13. Tim G

Tim G Tele-Meister

mnutz likes this.
  14. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

mnutz likes this.
  15. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for all the advice! I'm still trying to pick one out.

16. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Optiplex are the professional line and I've bought many of them from Dell's outlet without problems. HP's Pro series is similar.

It might be worth looking at the manufacturer's own www sites for outlets as far as warranty goes.

Most people do not need an i7, but that would be a power boos if buying an older used system.

mnutz likes this.
  17. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Holic

No, they really were hot, extremely hot even. Make sure you properly install, thermal paste, and heat sink everything or you'll burn it up. Around generation 4 (when hyperthreading started) they added some firmware that would scale them back when they got too hot.

My experience is gaming and video processing/editing are not budget computer applications - perhaps that's changed, I am getting older. Crypto currency mining would be another non-budget application, but that is getting so crazy you almost have to build custom rooms in your house for it these days.

mnutz likes this.
  18. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Holic

Video card prices went through the roof with crypto currency mining. The parallelism of the GPU is what everyone needs. Try to go used (1 generation behind) on the video card, and just replace it every couple years.

mnutz likes this.
  19. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Buy the first dell you mentioned. Should work just fine for editing.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    mnutz likes this.
  20. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

Somewhere along the way my wife decided this needed to be a laptop. I know that's not the recommendation for video editing, but it's only short clips she's gonna be doing. Anyway she upped her budget into the $600 range to get something suitable.

I've been watching the sites you all suggested, and signed up for all the deals. Yesterday I came across a new 50% off coupon deal for the Dell factory refurb site. Good on anything $500 and up.

I'd been looking at Latitudes, but was able to get a Precision M4800 with the coupon.

I7-4810mq
    16gb ram
    1TB hard drive
    Nvidia quadro K1100m
    DVD RW
    15.6" FHD ultra anti-glare

Grade A condition

$919 on sale for $799, coupon brings it down to $399.

Hope it's as good a deal as it seems!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.