Need cab for 67' Bassman Drip-edge (AB165)

Paul-McShartney

Tele-Meister
So I just recently scored a near mint Bassman head that I absolutely love! Was wondering what some of you like to pair with it? I've tried an Avatar 2x12 close back (can't remember the speakers) but it sounded really good and I liked it better than the 2x10 tremolux cab I demoed the amp with. However, I still want to try a few other things out before I buy it since it is on layaway till the 17th of April and need a cab asap.

Definitely like the sound of 4x12 but I'm open to using a 2x12 or even both formats with 10s. Looking for something that is clear and punchy but works great with cleans and pedals.

Paul-McShartney

Tele-Meister
yeah ive had good experiences with 10s, my bandmate plays through a 59 bassman reissue and it sounds great to me. Only thing I find is that it can sometimes be too harsh on the highs, but that could just be the amp/jensens in there. Any 4x10 cabs you know of that sound great but aren't rlly expensive?

BobbyMac

Tele-Holic
Gold Supporter

Paul-McShartney

Tele-Meister
thanks for the links bobby but I forgot to add that im using the amp for guitar (I'll look at these cabs though for when I need it for bass)

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Quad speakers are always a good sound, but are you planning on taking this on gigs? If so, forget about that 4x12 idea or even the 4x10 in my view.

I run a '64 Bassman through the 2x12 Avatar cab and have zero complaints. Still not a light thing to move around though. I think they do make a slightly narrower 2x12 cab now which might be a good option to remove some weight.

Don't rule out a 1x15 cab either, it sounds good with the Bassman. There are only about 3 stellar 15 inch speakers out there, but the option is a good one.

Paul-McShartney

Tele-Meister
I'm actually mostly using it for recording but also do plan to gig it (really don't mind the weight and find them to fill the room better without being too loud)

But yeah I forget what exact avatar 2x12 I played but it was a stereo one with a 4ohm mono input. Sounding absolutely fantastic. Think it might've been the narrower one too because it was fairly light tbh.

I actually have a Traynor Bassmate combo that I put a EV-15b in it that I adore so I'm with you on that one, though idk if you think the EV is one of the three you really like.

Anyways, I think I'm either gonna go with the 2x12 or quad system because I already got that 1x15 thing going on and I want something a little less beamy

Paul-McShartney

Tele-Meister
after doing more research, definitely think I might go with a Marshall 1965A or B cab, I'm seeing lots of people who like it with the bassman head plus it's compact and very affordable

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
after doing more research, definitely think I might go with a Marshall 1965A or B cab, I'm seeing lots of people who like it with the bassman head plus it's compact and very affordable
It is a very common choice, likely has vintage 30 speakers....that Avatar cab probably has the combination of a vintage 30 and a heritage speaker...also a very common and great sounding rig.

Before you jump on the Marshall cab, consider the Mesa 2x12 as well. It should come with vintage 30's too and is lighter than the Avatar while sounding great. In fact, the Mesa 2x12 might be the best sounding factory set up out there in the 2x12 world.

Paul-McShartney

Tele-Meister
For sure I'll definitely check the mesa out! I'm probably gonna accumulate a few different cabs overtime to accommodate different situations but if the mesa sounds as good as the avatar and is lighter that'll definitely be my pick for the 2x12 category.

by the way, any other quad system you like other than the Marshall?

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Ampeg bottom. had one I used back when with a plexi. Ampeg bottom was Closed back 4x10

Last edited:

radiocaster

Poster Extraordinaire
yeah ive had good experiences with 10s, my bandmate plays through a 59 bassman reissue and it sounds great to me. Only thing I find is that it can sometimes be too harsh on the highs, but that could just be the amp/jensens in there. Any 4x10 cabs you know of that sound great but aren't rlly expensive?
I don't remember the name of the company, but there was some US custom cab manufacturer (somewhere in the south) that made copies of the Marshall 4x10". Those aren't as bright as the open-back Fender 4x10"s.

Daytona.57

Tele-Meister
I use a Fender Bassman 4x10 410H 300W bass cab, with my Fender PA 100 head and Pro Jr IV. I picked it up for $200.00, on the local used market. The cab is very sensitive and articulate when used for guitar. I set the tweeter at 3, it is a large cab, weight 89lbs, mine came with casters.

Paul-McShartney

Tele-Meister
thanks for the replies guys, I definitely think im gonna head towards a closed back 4x10. Definitely leaning towards the Marshall 1965 but the closest one is 4 hours away so might have to either be patient for a closer one to pop up, or arrange something to meet the guy closer. Its 400 dollars with og speakers so seems like a good deal, though it is an A rather than a B and prefer the look of the latter.

An ampeg would look really nice too, though if the weight is overkill might just go with something smaller. But the 1965s, given their weight, size, and sound seems like a move.

Paul-McShartney

Tele-Meister
By the way, I don't really like the directionality of closed back cabs but love the punchiness. Do 10s seem to do better for sound dispersion? I can live with some beamy-ness but the closed back 1x15 in my traynor really suffers from this so I just run it open back for the most part

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
By the way, I don't really like the directionality of closed back cabs but love the punchiness. Do 10s seem to do better for sound dispersion? I can live with some beamy-ness but the closed back 1x15 in my traynor really suffers from this so I just run it open back for the most part
A properly ported cab is the best of both worlds

middy

Friend of Leo's
mm for sure, so I should consider something like the avatar forte clones or maybe even a barefaced? Those are the only two I know of
I have a barefaced super compact for my bass rig. Amazing piece of gear, I’d love to try out their guitar cabs.