Need Brown Princeton cabinet dimensions

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by jaydawg, Feb 10, 2009.

1. jaydawg

jaydawg Tele-Holic

As part of a trade I just did I got a 1961 Brown Princeton. The catch is I only got the chassis. The amp needs some work to get it back to it's former glory but judging by the sweet sounds it's making just sitting in my amp cradle it should be killer. I'll get rid of those filter caps and replace the can like should have been done in the first place. It could really use a complete tear down and rebuild but I don't really want to alter it any more than what has already been done.

Now, the real point of this post. I need to build a cabinet but I can't find any sort of consensus, on the net, about what size the cabinet should be. Most people say its the same as a BF Princeton/Princeton Reverb but based off of the width of the chassis (17.25") that's not possible. So what I really need is someone with a 6G2 to take some measurements of their cabinet for me. What I'm looking for would be the inside(A) and outside(B) width and overall height(C) ,not counting the feet, of the cab. Also the depth of the cabinet at the bottom of the cab(D), bottom of the chassis(E) and top of the cabinet(F). I've included a drawing to help illustrate the dimensions I'm talking about.

[​IMG]

Once I nail down the correct dimensions of an actual 6G2 cab I'll do a complete build thread on making a reproduction Fender cabinet. It would be a great addition to this new section of the forum.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Don;t know if this help you:

1963-1964 - 16'' x 18'' x 9'' , 1964-1967 - 16'' x (W) 19 7/8'' x (D) 9 1/2''

3. robt57

NM

4. kafn8d

kafn8d TDPRI Member

per ampwares.com

Model/Circuit Number: 6G2
    Years of Production: 1961 - 1963
    Era: Brownface
    Configuration: Combo
    Controls: Brown forward facing w/ white screened labels, controls numbered 1-10
    Knobs: Brown Round
    Faceplate

Front: In, In, Vol, Tone, Speed, Intensity - Pilot Lamp
    Rear: Ground Sw, Fuse (2A), Power Sw, Speaker Jack, Ex. Speaker Jack, Tremolo Jack
    Cabinet

Dimensions: 16½'' x 19'' x 9'' (41.9 x 48.3 x 22.9 cm)
    Hardware: 4 1/2'' Chassis Straps
    Handle: Leather Handle
    Feet: Glides
    Corners: None
    Covering Material

Tolex/Tweed: Brown Tolex
    Grill Cloth: Beige Brown
    Logo: None
    Weight:
    Speaker

Size: 1 x 10
    Impedance: 8 ohms
    Model: Jensen C10R or Oxford 10J4
    Effects: Tremolo
    ~Watts: 12 watts
    Tubes

Pre amp: 7025
    Power: 2 x 6V6GT
    Bias: Fixed Bias, Nonadjustable
    Rectifier: 5Y3GT

5. jaydawg

jaydawg Tele-Holic

Thank you for the replies. I am familiar with the ampware site. Its a great resource. The outside dimensions that they give might be right when taking into account the thickness of the tolex. The important parts that they don't give are the side dimensions. The side tappers from the bottom of the cab to the bottom of the chassis and there is a secondary angle from the bottom of the chassis to the top of the cab that matches the face of the chassis.

If I could find someone willing to take some quick measurements for me I can piece together the rest. I've built quite a few fender style cabs and should be able to work out the details if can get some basic dimensions off a really brown princeton cab. I've learned not to trust or take any written information as a given. It's always better to find out for your self or at the very least verify the info you have.

This is a really cool amp, '61 is the first year for the 6G2 and I really want to make the cabinet as accurate as possible. Also the more I look at the chassis the more I feel like I'm going to have to pull the guts and do a complete restoration.

6. robt57

I have read that the custom cabinet makers require you provide actual chassis dimensions and state that 'from run to tun vary as much as 1/4" inch', I'll assume the meant width, but certainly height and depth could vary as well. So file that data in your 'accurate as possible' model. :D

7. jaydawg

jaydawg Tele-Holic

Thank you Rob for passing along that info that you read. That's very helpful.

8. robt57

When I say read, I mean off the web pages of the custom cabinet makers, not in forums FWIW. One step further away from here-say I guess. ;)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  9. meyekel

meyekel Tele-Holic

Hi Jaydawg, I have a '61 6G2 that I can measure for you.

A= 17 3/8"
    B= 19
    C= 16 3/16
    D= 9 7/16
    E= 8 1/2
    F= 7 5/16

I measured F to where the crease in the tolex is which is right above where the top of the chassis is/roundover. Did you need the measurement up to the opening of the face? This also has tolex to take into account too. LMK if you have other questions.

10. jaydawg

jaydawg Tele-Holic

Very cool. Thank you meyekel, that's exactly what I was looking for. There are a couple differences between those numbers and whats passed around the net as the correct dimensions for a brown princeton. The main one being the side of the cab and the resulting taper of the front edge.

The next thing I need to do is take a little time to play around with those numbers in autocad and see if I can make a drawing that works based off of them.

Thank you again meyekel for taking the time to measure your cab for me. I really appreciate it. I'll post what I come up with.

11. fauxhican

fauxhican TDPRI Member

I couple weeks ago I finished a black face deluxe reverb build. I ran into the same problem you've been having, not enough free information available. I managed to reverse engineer the cabinet angles using the mojotone chassis angle and final cabinet dimensions. I'm not sure if my results are the same as a stock one, but it looks really close. Here's what I came up with, I hope it helps you.

Attached Files:

12. Kalev

Kalev TDPRI Member

Hi,

Does anyone have metal chassis dimensions?

13. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

Mojo say theirs is an exact replica...

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kalev likes this.
  14. Kalev

Kalev TDPRI Member

Ok
    Thank you
    Collecting information, so I can lasercut and bend some layouts for chassies at my workplace

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.