Need another amp... different than my other one

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by David Meiland, Apr 13, 2019.

1. David Meiland

David Meiland TDPRI Member

Been playing for 3 years now, mostly through a late 60s silverface Deluxe Reverb. It’s a great amp and seems the perfect match for a Tele. I’d like to get a second tube combo that will sound distinctly different, help me mix it up. I know very little about amp design, tube types, etc. What could I go with that will give me something different, make practicing longer a bit easier and more entertaining. I’m thinking a 1x12 combo, something that will do well at bedroom volume.

2. Lord_Ingipz

Lord_Ingipz Tele-Meister

vox ac15? It can get bedroom levels and be loud enough for gigs. I feel personally that a great fender circuit and raw organic feel of a vox meshes incredibly well together.

Paul in Colorado and Dismalhead like this.
  3. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

A Vox! AC10 or 15. Different tone for sure. The 15 is comparable in size to what you have now. The 10 watt is smaller, lighter, only one channel, and sounds super sweet. That’s my go-to amp nowadays. Excellent grab and go size too.

4. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

For something different than Fender, the usual go-to amps are either Vox or Marshall. The DSL40 is a great sounding Marshall. You might also consider the Peavey Classic 30, Fender Bassbreaker or Supersonic, or, if you're well heeled, the new Mesa Boogie Fillmore and California Tweed, or their Rectoverb, Triple Crown, or Lonestar.

boredguy6060 likes this.
  5. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted

Or you could stay with Fender and explore the “other” flavour: get a tweed! The super classic here is the 5E3 tweed Deluxe, but there are many other wonderful models: from the diminutive (but great-toned and eminently usable at home AND out) tweed Champ, to beasts like the tweed Bassman (the ’59 Ltd does not cost a lot on the used market) or the Twin.

The sound is pretty markedly different from that of a Blackface.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    55er and 0 2339 like this.
  6. 0 2339

0 2339 TDPRI Member

have to second tweeds as well, even the bigger ones sound good at bedroom levels, and glorious beyond those volumes... there are also tweed voiced modern amps, that let you control volume more easily.
    but maybe you could let us know a budget, as there's a gazillion amps to choose... maybe spend some time on youtube, to get ideas, or name some songs/artists/sounds you're after...

happy hunting ; )

RadioFM74 likes this.
  7. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Vox tones work well with Telecasters. It doesn't have to be the AC15, 30, 4 either...try the Little Night Train and a cab.

Dismalhead and RadioFM74 like this.
  8. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Vox is great and they definitely sound great with a Tele but for more contrast I’d go with Marshall, Orange, Mesa, Fender Bassbreaker, etc.

If Fender is one end of the spectrum and something “heavy” is the other IMO Vox is much closer to Fender’s end of the spectrum.

I have an Orange if I was getting a second tube amp I’d be looking at a Fender for max contrast.

9. DaveTone

DaveTone Tele-Meister

Seconded. i use a HRDx 40w and a Mesa Mini 25 recto lunchbox over 2x12 cab. Primarily I run my Les Paul through the Mini, but the Tele does some intersting things in the sweet spots of the clean channel also.

10. Treynor

Treynor Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I'm quite happy with my Marshall Origin 20 I got a few months ago. Rounds out nicely against my Fenderish arsenal.

tarheelbob and Axis29 like this.
  11. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

There's a lot to choose from these days. And, there have been some good suggestions already. It can be debilitating making these choices! LOL

But, I kinda want more info from you... What kinda music do you like to play? Who are some of your favorite guitar players?

12. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Meister

What about an Egnater? They are designed with switches to engage different types of tone stacks, a control to sweep between power tube types and a wattage control to dial back for low volume use. This would afford you lots of tonal options to explore. Check out the Tweaker and the Rebel 30.

PastorJay likes this.
  13. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

Look into a Supro. The Blues King 12 is $600 new and sounds really good.

14. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I was gonna say Vox , either AC 10 (cheap and great) or AC15 (soooooo heavy it’ll never leave your house) but -

you don’t need another amp - you have one of the greats. And it’s one of the great pedal platforms too.

You need a couple pedals to use with that amp.

Menatone The King

Wampler Plexi

Angry Charlie

Dirty Little Secret

There’s 4 that will turn your existing DR into a Marshall.

Carry on

beyer160 likes this.
  15. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I've got an AC15 and it's a great contrast against the classic Fender sound. The Vox/Tele combination is also just as awesome as a Tele with a Fender or a Les Paul with a Marshall, but in a completely different way.

I agree with the people above saying to go smaller though if you want a bedroom volume amp. You'll get great clean tones at low volume through an AC15, but it isn't gonna sing like it can at band level volumes. For 15-watts it is a very loud amp. Never played through an AC10 but it might be the ticket.

Also, the AC15 doesn't work well with some pedals. You gotta research which ones work and which won't.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  16. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

I vote for Marshall 1974A "18 Watt" or a clone of same.

17. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Afflicted

I was going to suggest a Supro as well or really any old Valco made amp.

18. tarheelbob

tarheelbob Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

Vox AC10
    Marshall Origin 20

Two fantastic combo amps that can do bedroom levels, but provide a sublime "yin" to your DR Fender "yang". I had an AC10 (loved it), and now am rocking the Marshal Origin 20 (love it even more). Both provided the perfect contrast/complement to my Princeton Reverb.

upload_2019-4-13_10-37-0.png

Treynor likes this.
  19. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

For low volume sound different than a SF Fender, i think you could go with a Vox or a Fender Tweed sound and be very happy.

I have two low volume amps.

The Mesa TA-15 has 3 wattage settings. I use it at 5 watts at home. It will be noticeably quieter than a SF Deluxe. Does a great clean Vox sound, as well as having four other tone stack/gain options.

I also have a Tweed champ. 5 watts. I have the EC custom shop model that has an attenuator down to 1 watt and built in trem. If you don't care about that several companies make Tweed clones for less than you can buy a Fender custom shop Tweed these days.

Or, for fun, I have an old friend named Paul Tweed who custom builds Tweed (in both senses of the word) amps. I'm not making that up.

Here's a Tweed Princeton clone. 12 watts.

https://reverb.com/item/19734024-tw...aign=FBshare&utm_medium=FB&utm_source=FBshare

20. mojmud

mojmud TDPRI Member

For something completely different, and great for home use, listen to a Swart Spacetone Reverb/Trem !

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.