Need an OD pedal!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by augustinasj, Jan 19, 2013.

1. MillerMe

MillerMe TDPRI Member

+1 on the Sparkle Drive. There's one on eBay UK BIN for £115.

If you want something a bit more versatile, check out the Sparkle Drive Mod. It's got three different gain profiles: 1(low), 2(medium) and 3(high). Lots of knobs, and just like the original SD you can blend in your clean signal to add back some of the articulation. http://bit.ly/T4KAdH

2. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Actually, the Mod has four profiles: Vintage, Lead, Rhythm, and High Gain.

3. lioncommandking

lioncommandking Tele-Meister

If you can find a used "Radial ToneBone Classic", you will not search any more!!!!!!!! Well that might be a bit extreme, but I have found it to be one of the best and most versitile pedals on the market with treble and bass controls, 3 setting for high tones(bright,flat,dark) 3 settings for mids boost presence knob, drive knob, high-medium and low drive gain switch, and a master volumn. The TONEBONE does better tubescreamer than a tubescreamer!

4. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've got one of those as well, and I have a hard time getting lower-gain tones out of it that I really like. This is all subjective, of course, and the amp it's going into will also weigh heavily on the final tone. For a good Marshall crunch, though, this pedal excels!

5. MillerMe

MillerMe TDPRI Member

Or what he said.

6. chippertheripper

chippertheripper Friend of Leo's

Klon.
    (Giggles)

Srsly, an sd1 would do it for a med-high gain pedal for me. Hype not needed.

7. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

+1 on the Sparkle Drive. Way Huge Pork Loin is a good one too. If I only had one OD pedal, I'd want to make sure it had a clean blend knob, as these two do.

8. Dave1234

Dave1234 Tele-Afflicted

RAT with LM308, not the Chinese one! Perfect for Radiohead type malarkey.

9. Stringbender11

Stringbender11 Tele-Meister

i would definitely try some ODs out BEFORE you buy. You mentioned you're not into metal, well imo a lot of the ODs aim for that sound, including the Boss DS1 and the Tubescreamers. So definitely try those out before you buy one.

I recently bought a DOD G7 effects unit on eBay, it's all digital, from the 80's and can often be found cheap on eBay. I really love the sound, but it's OD is much more metal than indie - which is what I was looking for. I looked around quite a bit though before I bought the unit, and tried a G7 out first.

My point is that trying it out first is the only way to go, dont fall into the trap of ordering stuff blindly on other people's recommendations, as OD is very subjective. And eBay is loaded with units being re-sold at a loss because they werent what the buyer was hoping for.

Good luck! :)

10. TeleBrew

TeleBrew Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Sometimes you can have too many choices. Watch some youtube videos of the ones you can't try in person and narrow it down to two or three. There are so many good pedals out there, and every one you listed in your original post is probably a good choice. Narrow it down immediately and go from there.

11. Tony Ferrari

Tony Ferrari Tele-Meister

A friend of mine recently bought over his BBE Green Screamer and I was very impressed.
    I already have a Paisley Drive and an Analogman Silver Mod TS9, but if I run into a BBE on the super cheap I will pick it up.

12. Agitator

Agitator Friend of Leo's

I would start with something cheap. SD-1, OD-3, one of the Tube Screamer variants, or one of the ever-growing legion of OCD knockoffs (Joyo, Danelectro, etc.). No reason to spend more than $40 or $50 until you know you can't get the sound you want for that money.

I've been a Rat user for 20+ years, but it sounds like you want more of an overdrive (like the ones I've mentioned) as opposed to a Rat, which approaches fuzz-like territory as you turn the distortion up.

13. goz211

goz211 Tele-Meister

+1 Cheap, cheerful, does the job.

14. Rolling Estonian

Rolling Estonian Friend of Leo's

The Boss OS-2 was my first pedal and it was a very good, versatile pedal that'll give you basic dirt but also more mid to high distortion.

M

15. Fred.T

Fred.T Tele-Meister

as you see, it's an easy decision :twisted:

16. PineBomb

PineBomb Tele-Holic

First time I've seen that word used to describe dirt. :)

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI

17. refin

refin Friend of Leo's

Joyo Vintage Drive

18. relic@$ter

relic@$ter Tele-Meister

Just got a sparkle drive...it's a tube screamer with a clean boost...I bought this because I watched demos on sooo many videos on you tube and this was the winner but a lot! I liked the fact it had clean boost too! And the tube screamer sound from this is so Friggen organic and pure overdrive...you will be very pleased if you get this, I promise!!!

19. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Afflicted

yup bad monkey a lot of pedal for a little money.

20. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I think it might be good to start by weeding out a few that are on your list. Unless you can find one used, the Hotcake is not going to be an option. I also personally wouldn't recommend it with a HRDlx, but that's just me.

I'd also nix the TS9 and all its variants, unless you're just a mid-boosted bluze tone guy. They are great, they are classics, but they just kill the bottom end that you may want to retain a bit of for the indie/alt stuff, even though they are great for the cranked neck pickup pentatonic windup. Again, JMO - I realize it's a classic that many default to, and I'm referring to it in its default state (kills a LOT of bass and treble).

...As much as I like a modded SD-1, I would nix it for the same reason. It's cheap enough (especially compared to a TS9) to check one out, but I'd put it lower in the priority queue.

OD-3 IMO is a good choice with a Tele, but it has a bit of bass to it that some may not favor, and it has a little more grit that IMO makes it work on a gig. IOW, if the bass isn't an issue (and you dial in the gain with that in mind), the OD-3 is a KILLER. It could be just the ticket for indie/alt stuff, if maybe a bit less so for blues and such. I actually DO dig it for some bluesy things, but again it comes down to taste. If you can score one used, I wouldn't hesitate to give it a whirl.

Joyo and Mooer each have their clones of the popular stuff - do some searches here and elsewhere regarding the original pedals you listed to find out more info. No point in going over things twice.

Rat - another pedal that defies being stuck to just one genre, as long as you can be judicious with the dist control. Set it low and it will give you some blues-esque tones. Crank it higher for the more unweildly stuff - I would argue that it might be a damn fine fit for the Radiohead things, but you've got to put your time in with it. Not all Rats are created equal, and impressions will differ, so do a little research - tons of threads here regarding what makes for a great Rat or Rat-inspired pedal.

Shredmaster - another great pedal if you show some self restraint. Both Visual Sound (Hyde) and Joyo (High Gain Distortion) make affordable SM variants. The biggest hurdle IMO is conquering the contour/mids control, which goes from uber-metal scooped to trad classic rock textures. It's so damned good that some "hand" builders incorporate it 1:1 in their $200+ pedals. IMO, I personally crank it into the classic realm, but I suppose it's nice to have.

...Biggest minus with any Shredmaster clone is whether or not you can adequately control the bass - once you get to the contour/mids control, you can't alter things much. I actually alter the Joyo HGD for less bass, but that's just me (I primarily attempt to use it thru a Fender Deluxe Reverb - YMMV).

Other Marshall pedals? The Bluesbreaker V1 may be an option if you can find one, or if something like the Mooer Blues Crab is sufficient. The early "V1 recipe" IMO is what you want - "V1b" and forward have a higher gain signature that isn't as musical IMO. That said, the Bluesbreaker is a low-gain wonder unless you splurge for something like the King of Tone, which combines a pair in one box (with some internal dipswitches and such).

...For indie/alt/blues, I'd actually avoid the Marshall Guv'nor and its many derivatives and clones. I guess the Crunch Box and Suhr Riot are the two most commonly known ones, but you probably know that. The Danelectro Daddy-O is a V1 Guv clone with the proper T/M/B tone controls if you want to give it a whirl on a budget. They seem to be available everywhere used.

For indie/alt, you may want to try to find a used Barber Direct Drive. I suspect it may provide you with a lot of what you are looking for. IMO, the OCD is kind of just a "hacked on" version of the Voodoo Lab OD, which didn't have a tone control. And the VLO was a DOD OD 250/MXR D+ with a second "recovery stage" to allow for the cleanup at the volume knob thing. But guitarists seem to be sacked with a notion that a tone control is necessary, so there's no denying that the OCD provided that, especially with the HP/LP switch (just toggles between the "shelf" that treble gets rolled off at).

...Getting back to the Direct Drive, Barber already incorporated elements of the OCD but in a more "audio engineered" way, as it looks like Dave didn't borrow so much from an existing design. IIRC, you can also choose hard or soft clipping by pulling the tone knob up. I just think it's a slick design that might give you a lot of control along the spectrum of blues/indie/alt. This assumes you can grab one used at your price point. They can be had used here in the states for >$100USD (at least that used to be the case) but IDK what you might find back home, or if used is an option. I would certainly check to see!

IMO, as always. Such a subjective thing, and lots of times there is no substitute for just trying stuff out.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.