1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Need an end-all dirt pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by jjtanis, Jul 6, 2017.

1. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You are kind of asking the impossible. But why should that stop me!

I guess trying to integrate a bunch of different things you've said and your parameters, I'd suggest the Boss BD-2 Waza. Wide gain range. Very dynamic. Will fit the case. Doesn't cut much/any low end. Kind of a chameleon really.

jjtanis likes this.
  2. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

The new D&M drive from keely sounds pretty great and extremely versatile with a boost and gain channel that can be swapped.

3. jjtanis

jjtanis TDPRI Member

Hahaha. I know, right. I really don't have the illusion that using a pedal for this will beat using my favorite amp... I just need to get by and cover those bases in a live setting.

I've owned and used the BD2 for years and years, I really need to check out the Wazacraft version.

4. cntry666

cntry666 Friend of Leo's

You could spend a lot of money but before you do I suggest the EHX Soul Food. I am going on 4 pedalboards now, 3 of them have some boutique fuzz boxes and whatever. The Soul Food is my favorite and I'm currently putting a board together for this pedal because it's by far the best dirt pedal for me.

5. Mrbob135

Mrbob135 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

"Need an end-all dirt pedal"

Don't we all? :)

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  6. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Not me. I just need a properly driven amp profiled once. :lol:

BB likes this.
  7. mattyboy

mattyboy Tele-Meister

Get a Mooer Black Secret. Original Rat and Turbo Rat in one mini pedal. Fun fun fun!!!

Norwegian Would and RetroTeleRod like this.
  8. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

End all dirt pedal? it doesn't exist .... at least for most of us! Too many variables, guitars, pickups, amps, speakers, styles of music

Fred Rogers likes this.
  9. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

Actually... the elektron analogue drive is perfect for this. Basically the H9 of drive pedals. Has I think 8 separate analog drive circuits ranging from clean boost to TS to distortion to fuzz. With A ton of presets available. You could literally do anything with it. It's pricey, but cheaper that the H9 and definitely cheaper than 8 quality drive pedals.

(Although it may be a little big for your desired case...)

10. MDMachiavelli

MDMachiavelli Tele-Afflicted

MojoMojo is a GREAT pedal, especially for the price.

I would go with that one or the Red Dirt by Keeley.

11. igor5

igor5 Tele-Meister

12. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

Check out Little Uncle Biff Mulligan's new offering to the pedal world, the 'Endall Durt Peddle". Sounds like it might do the trick!

Seriously, check out Machine Head Pedals awesomely awesome 72 degrees. From what you describe, I believe this pedal will get close to meeting your requirements. Of course, it may not!

However, I have to chime in since I recently picked one up and not only did it far exceed my lofty expectations, it's quickly become my favorite!

czech-one-2 likes this.
  13. Mistercharlie

Mistercharlie Tele-Holic

Have you got an H9 Max? The Eventide drives are pretty great. I made several dirt presets on mine, from the obvious algorithms – Sculpt, PitchFuzz, and CrushStarion – to the less so. I have a great vintage-y drive using the MangledVerb reverb algorithm without any delay, for example.

Other than that, buy a bigger case and use a rat.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    jjtanis and hs0504 like this.
  14. Austinato

Austinato Tele-Meister

I can't believe I forgot to mention one of my favorites: the ZVex Distortron.

For what is advertised as a pretty basic distortion box, it's actually pretty diverse with the addition of the two toggle switches: one for "Subs" (adds low end) and one for higher gain. I was really attached to mine, but ultimately used it as a valuable trading tool. Probably should have just kept it. Oh well.

15. sockgtr

sockgtr Tele-Meister

I use a Hardwire SC-2 as the only dirt on my nano board. It's not perfect low gain, it's not perfect high gain, but it does both really well, and is perfectly fine for gigging. Better than my more specialized pedals.

Of course, there's also the fuzz face family that can go from low to high gain with a twist of the guitar's volume knob. Classic tones there!

16. 3waytie4last

3waytie4last Tele-Meister

This. Spend $20 for the PitchFuzz algorithm and you'll probably be covered with only the H9.

17. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Tele-Holic

Isn't the Sparkle Drive a Tube Screamer circuit with a wet/dry knob? Does it really have enough gain for metal? Or are you talking about boosting an already overdriven amp?

18. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

I've got the SC-2 and the CM-2 paired together on my smaller board - covers all the dirt territory I need in our Americana/Country/Blues trio.

Paid $50 each for them, too - one used and one on blowout sale.
    Absolute steal for both of 'em.

19. beezerboy

beezerboy Tele-Meister

another fan of the Plimsoul. thats for sure the one I take to a jam with the amps backlined. my personal favorite in my amps is The Dude because I like a cleaner drive but I keep the Plim on my board anyway. it has a number of ways to set up for that extra bite. it has the growl without being sloppy sounding

20. Trev14

Trev14 TDPRI Member

+1 on the Looking Glass overdrive.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.