Need advice on recent MIM purchase. What would you do?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Nubs, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

So I recently won an auction on Reverb earlier today for a rare used MIM tele. The original item description was brief but the pics in the ad all looked good and the condition was listed as "Very good". I sent the money to the seller and a couple of hours later, I get a message from him disclosing of some chips and nicks throughout the body.

He sent several pictures of the damage which includes cracking or scuffing at the strap button, a chip in the paint by the input jack which is deep enough to expose the wood, a couple of nicks at the top of the headstock, and paint cracking by the neck pocket. There are some minor paint scratches on the back of the body, but those don't bother me.

Now if this was a more common color, I would have already told this guy forget it. But it's a rare color & I got it for a pretty good deal. I'm torn on what to do. On the one hand, none of these defects were disclosed in the original ad which makes me think this is kind of a bait-and-switch tactic. However, he did tell me about these problems shortly after I paid for it and included detailed pics.

What would you do in this situation? Thanks in advance!

2. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Afflicted

If the damage is unacceptable to you for the price you paid, take action. That's not the right way to do business. After they receive your money "Oh by the way, there are problems that I didn't disclose. Enjoy your new guitar!" That's not right and seems like the seller is perfectly aware of what they are doing.

Loco, Wildcard_35, Fiesta Red and 5 others like this.
  3. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

Politely explain to him that it would have been more professional to include the defects in the original listing and then ask for a suitable discount. He must be worried about something or he would have just sent the guitar.

4. JCW1024

JCW1024 Tele-Meister

I'd cancel. He could have added those pics to his ad at any point, and instead chose to wait until after you paid. Next the guitar will show up and one of the pickups won't work.

5. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

IMO, That info should have been disclosed In the before sale description...
    It depends on the price you paid..Did you pay for the "before" description or the "after sale" description..
    Reverb is good at being sure that all parties are satisfied..

6. AbisFjord

AbisFjord Tele-Meister

Have to agree with the other folks, it's a shady way to do business. But, if you feel it's still a deal and the paint is unique enough, I say go for it. At the end of the day, it's still a guitar.

Fiesta Red, JayFreddy and Pickcity like this.
  7. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Friend of Leo's

^ what he said. All damage/chips should have been mentioned in the original ad.

Fiesta Red and Pickcity like this.
  8. Lone Picker

Lone Picker Tele-Meister

I don't like when people play games like that. I would demand my money back and forget this one, there will be another.

9. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Regardless, I'd report to Reverb. This is fraudulent business practice.

Loco, Paul Jenkin, Fiesta Red and 4 others like this.
  10. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

Thanks all for the advice. Reading his message again, he said this was the way he bought it and he’s not the original owner. That’s enough to convince me this was done purposely so I requested a refund. Really bummed about it too but oh well, the search continues.

Thanks again!

11. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Tele-Holic

It’s got to be tempting to tell the dude to cram it, but that doesn’t work if you still want the guitar. As said above, I’d probably say something along the lines of, “I only would have offered X dollars had the damage been properly disclosed beforehand. Either accept that offer or issue me a refund.” Of course, if he says no, then you either have to accept the refund or feel like an idiot when you admit it was a bluff.

Edit: Your post appeared as I was typing, apparently.

12. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Whale oil beef hooked.
    Thats what a scottish person would say right now.

13. Pickcity

Pickcity Tele-Meister

He should have given full disclosure in the original ad. Anything else is shady BS.

As to whether or not you should make the deal anyway, that's a decision only you can make, but personally I don't care to do business with guys like him.

Obsessed likes this.
  14. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

He can do a partial refund - I've done it before for damage that occurred during shipping. That way you can still get the guitar but at an even lower price. I wouldn't go all the way to requesting a full refund if I thought I could live with the condition/color/price calculus.

15. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Before we jump all over the seller, I have to ask the buyer a question. How many questions did you ask prior to agreeing to purchase?

I still remember selling my beloved Jeep Scrambler about 12 years ago on ebay. A guy in Seattle bought it without asking any questions. I included a lot of pictues and pointed out that the body was rusted and so was the frame rails over the rear tires. I had already purchased a new glass body for it before deciding that I just didn't have the time. Him and a buddy drove all the way with a trailer that weekend to pick it up in a heavy rain with just a text message that he was on the way. The buyer looked it over and said the rust was worse than he thought it would be and he no longer wanted it. I let him out of the deal, but then he got angry since he drove all the way down and felt that I should pay for half of his travel costs. All of this could have been avoided with some communication.

My point being that pictures and descriptions aren't enough to ensure both parties will be happy. Their needs to be communication to be sure that you are getting what you think you are. In the guitar's case, clearly the seller's description of "very good" is not the same for the buyer and should have been clarified prior to the sell. Unless the pictures avoided showing the defects, I don't think all the fault is with the seller here.

maloburro likes this.
  16. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Sorry but you don't receive payment THEN disclose in perfect detail dents and other issues the ad could have easily said in the first place just to cover your ass. That's just a devious way to sell anything.

The ad should/could have said dents in these places as per photograph and left it at that.....who then could argue?

As for your Jeep, buyer beware, you included photos of the rust. If he didn't ask for more detail or close ups OR a better verbal description of the vehicle, that is his problem. He was lucky you let him out of the deal, let alone to further ask for costs towards his own travel, that is ludicrous.

Your too damn soft man!!! :)

JayFreddy and Milspec like this.
  17. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

Cancel.

I don't believe in karma, but if I did, this would be the bad type.

Color isn't reason enough to be misled.

18. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

To be fair, the seller did promptly refund my money and apologize for the inconvenience. It was a bummer to let go, but I feel it was the right thing for me to do. BTW, the ad has since been relisted with updated pics & info ;)

Wildcard_35 and JayFreddy like this.
  19. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Good move. It is a bummer, but that's on the seller. A little patience and you'll find the one for you. Good luck and best wishes.

20. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I agree, walking away from that deal was the right action. I do like highly detailed descriptions with photos, but he should have pointed out the flaws unless they were obvious in the pictures...maybe even then.

Piggy Stu likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.