1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Need Advice on Battling Pedal Addiction

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by 50ShadesofOrange, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Artwerk Orange

Artwerk Orange TDPRI Member

So Netflix (the O.G. version, at least) for pedals. I have waited a few years and really focused on the instrument and not the accessories, but as I realize I have an unhealthy number of guitars (and growing) I am really getting into accessories , pedals being on top of the list. I mean, I still only have one amazing little amp and one fun and cheap amp that I still like. Pedals are definitely something I want to explore. THANKS. Do you get any kind of referral perk before I sign up? Let me know.

50ShadesofOrange likes this.
  2. gitapik

gitapik Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Don't stress it. Get your pedals and use the ones you want when you want. Sell some if you want or need to. Hold on to the rest. With a caveat:

Beware getting more of the same. If I'm seriously into a pedal and another that does the same thing catches my eye as maybe being "better"...I take a breath and move on. If I end up playing it somewhere and it's that much better, then I'll buy it. Maybe sell the other.

For me, collecting/using pedals is a lot like taking a solo.

When I first started playing; I'd basically use all my licks when the time came for that solo. Partly because I didn't have a lotta chops and partly because I wasn't really listening.

As I gained experience, I was able to slow it down (or speed it up, according to the moment) and be more sparing.

Now I've got a large board, a small board, and no board at all. I could freak about having so much and wanting to use them all as justification...but, instead, I just figure I've got a lot of great tones available and, hopefully, the time to use them all when the time is right.

3. Supereditor

Supereditor TDPRI Member

Buy an HX Effect or Helix (whichever seems right to you). That will feed your GAS. Then, spend your time learning to use it and A/Bing it against your individual pedals ... selling one every time you find that the Helix can do the same thin. In my case that was pretty much always. Then play with the unit to learn how to change multiple effects order ... and tone ... with the push of a button. If you have an amp with a loop, try running preamp models into the power section of the amp.

IMHO good multieffects — like the Helix — have reached the point that individual pedals don’t make a lot of sense unless one doesn’t run many (i.e. 3 or 4).

I think others have given you good advice about breaking habits. This might also logically convince you they aren’t needed ... while saving you considerable space and giving you the quick boost of buying a new toy.

4. Tweeker

Tweeker TDPRI Member

50ShadesofOrange, I've copied and pasted your greatest hits above along with chris m.'s observation. Please indulge my "getting-deep-armchair-shrink" perspective cause I've lived a version of this scenario a number of times. Your own words tell the story that there is "something else in play" and it involves "guilt and regret". Pedals may be distracting you from playing, but they're a distraction from the bigger picture.

Raising your daughter is, in my opinion, the biggest life changer there is and is at the core of your mind-heart conflict regarding music/playing/learning/spending $/distractions/pedals/etc. I was a full time player for decades then became a stay at home parent to raise my two daughters. My mind accepted "full time parent" but my heart held onto "full time musician". I still play part time, but those were tough identity-reconciling-years.

There's tons of good advice on this thread for moving forward and your self described discipline combined with clear goals will get you far towards "really playing instead of futzing around". But the best way through this is to go easy on yourself. What I mean is don't think in terms of defeating the devil on your shoulder, you're better off learning to live with him - cause he ain't going nowhere.
    As your kid grows, hopefully she can be less a damper on your progression and more an inspiration for the joy of playing. If you can join those two things, that's where the magic is. Don't be hard on yourself if you're not inspired on a particular day. Just pick up a guitar and play, pedals or not - keep it casual and light.

For what it's worth, I had a classic midlife crisis when my girls were teenagers and instead of sports cars or mistresses, I developed a pedal habit. I have it mostly under control, but I've learned to embrace futzing around and if I don't think about it, it becomes really playing.

50ShadesofOrange and Supereditor like this.
  5. larsjm

larsjm TDPRI Member

Join a band. I'm guessing that you're not in a band currently. Pedals and multi-effects and all the bizarre sounds you can get out of a guitar are the bane of the "bedroom musician". You're trying to fill a void that only gets filled when you start jamming with others. I've noticed that whenever I'm in a band, my pedalboard quickly gets smaller and smaller, because I weed out the ones that don't work in a band setting (which tends to be a lot of pedals). And all the bizarre stuff goes away because you really don't use any of that for real songs.
    Usually in a band setting you'll find your two most important and liked effects are a booster and a quality overdrive. Some companies make combo booster/overdrives, so if you don't have one of those, sell other stuff to get a really nice one and start a band.

6. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I don't think there's a referral perk. There's different levels of membership. https://pedalgenie.com/

7. oooogie

oooogie TDPRI Member

Spend the money on a Chase Bliss Automatone preamp and get rid of all the rest.

8. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Just get a ProCo Rat II and use it exclusively.
    The Guitar Cable into the Rat and a 3ft cable into
    the Amplifier.
    Play this way for 45 days and You will find Your way
    out of the maze using the volume & tone controls on
    Your Guitar.

50ShadesofOrange and nortally like this.
  9. enorbet2

enorbet2 TDPRI Member

My path has been quite different from OP unless his is now reflecting. The periods of greatest improvement in my playing always took place when I got back to basics - guitar > amp. My path was actually complicated because I was really good at electronics before I was any good at guitar. I've designed and built innumerable effects of many kinds so I have LOTS of them and almost always have. Still, learning how to get the most out of my guitar and amp was The Cake (that cake is not a lie ;) ) and effects are just the frosting.

10. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Oh, come off it.

11. Collin D Plonker

I had to make a choice between multieffects and pedalboard early on. I chose a pedalboard because the multieffects I tried at the time were not super tweakable, and you can try different pedals for a certain effect and pick the one you like best. IMO it's not "better" to have a Helix. It's only different.

12. Collin D Plonker

1013162223.jpg
    I did that once. BTW, most of these pedals have been sold off or traded for other pedals and a guitar.

13. Jlwctn

Jlwctn Tele-Meister

Only 20 pedals? It's not like 20 guitars, with 20 guitar cases, or 20 amps, with varying configurations of combos, heads, cabinets and even functioning unenclosed amp chassis (tell me they aren't out there).
    Make a list of your pedals. What are the duplications, the strengths and weaknesses? What are the best examples that fit you? What is the percentage of time that you play with each pedal on? What are the pedals that you don't play at all?
    20 pedals, in the grand scheme of things, don't take up much space, aren't boat anchors and and don't really eat anything beside 9V batteries.
    What pedals do you have that you want to talk about?

Collin D Plonker likes this.
  14. knockeduptele

knockeduptele Tele-Holic

If the number of pedals is less than your age, then its only one a year - what's the problem?

the same rule applies to guitars (and your waistline)

15. Daddy Hojo

Daddy Hojo Friend of Leo's

Which suppressor did you end up with?

16. bigjohnbates

bigjohnbates TDPRI Member

As an original artist I generally buy pedals for specific effects that work on my board for the songs I am currently playing in my set. Unless it is a ragingly cool pedal for recording I don't tend to keep old boxes lying around. I also then use the pedals i choose (not generally more than 8) on older and different songs to see how they change my approach. But 20 pedals isn't a big deal as long as there is a use ... if not then fung shui that cupboard lol

17. Collin D Plonker

15992473082304990637467181342543.jpg

Just for fun, this is my current pedal collection. At top is my regular board. Lower left is my extras, and lower right is my board for when I was running a piezo-equipped Les Paul, ala Alex Lifeson. Anybody want to buy the piezo board?

Supereditor and nortally like this.
  18. Supereditor

Supereditor TDPRI Member

I agree that it's not better to have a Helix. It all depends on what you are trying to do. I was just hoping to give the original poster an idea to help battle the constant desire for acquisition. I did A/B my pedals against the Helix (borrowing one from a friend) before I bought it ... and (after some tweaking) couldn't tell enough of a difference that I cared. I also find the Helix to be soooooo customizable that you can do things with it that you couldn't do with a regular pedalboard unless you had way more than 20 pedals and a fairly expensive controller.

Now, most players have no need to do what I'm talking about ... and many would be put off by the learning curve and fiddling. But if the original poster likes to tweak sounds, he might just find that the Helix gives him even more possibilities and that he can spend his time tweaking rather than seeking out new purchases.

For many, simplicity is best but I do think the Helix is a possible solution to the "problem," in that there's an awful lot in that machine. Of course, some folks just like collecting pedals and taking a more traditional approach. Nothing wrong with that.

19. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

It is indeed a deep, dark hole.

Supereditor and 50ShadesofOrange like this.
  20. 50ShadesofOrange

50ShadesofOrange Tele-Meister

I’ve got the current Rat 2, the made in China one. I’ve also got a Mr. Vermin.

They’re both cool, but as yet another angle on this, some of my other stuff gets most of the way there.

Each amp has a drive pedal that seems to work best, but my “ho-hum” OCD and Fulldrive 2 seem to get me most of the way there regardless of which amp.

If I need something distortion-y, the OCD can do it. If I need a little sumthin’ extra on a cooking amp, the Comp Cut on the Fulldrive is as good as any boost, or at least close enough that only I’d know the difference between it and another boost pedal.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.