Need Advice on a Dull Sounding Tele Build

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by TommyGunz, May 22, 2020.

1. dimenjj

dimenjj Tele-Meister

Before you make any changes, are you sure that everything was wired correctly? Correct capacitor? Wiring etc.....? BTW, beautiful job on the guitar it's cool.

2. gregj1964

gregj1964 Tele-Meister

I'd order a $20 fender bridge off Amazon. Try it. If it doesn't work, return it. It might be that.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    MonkeyJefferson likes this.
  3. TommyGunz

TommyGunz TDPRI Member

It does kinda seem like that even though the bridge has beautiful form and I love the saddle design to reduce string breakage, the overall function may not be matching. I'll find out for sure if I get my new bridge on Sunday. I'll record some before and after sound clips. I wouldn't have thought it would make that big a difference. Funny how it's the opposite on a strat. Replace that standard american bridge with a higher mass SS bridge/saddles/block and the guitar lights up...this I did.

4. baiff

baiff Tele-Holic

With al the possible variables this could be the issue. The neck you use does play a role in the outcome of the instrument. I didn’t believe it until I made a MJT Tele. I tried a 1 piece maple neck going for a mid 50’s look but the neck just wasn’t feeling right. I replaced it with an Allparts TRO-C and boom! It all came together.....like this.

Attached Files:

Sinphenom likes this.
  5. TommyGunz

TommyGunz TDPRI Member

Did you have to notch your saddles or do the strings stay put? I do lots of bends on 11's so I'm thinking I'll have to lightly notch them then hit em with some abrasive cord.

Sinphenom likes this.
  6. John E

John E Tele-Afflicted

Nice looking guitar, I really like the look of that body. Nice job! From what you are describing I think you have a wiring or switch problem going on. I have never heard anyone call Rob's pickups dull. It's still possible you have different tonal preferences than those winds but something doesn't sound right to me if they sound that dull. Bridge would make a difference but I think something is wrong in the wiring / switch / jack chain...

7. TommyGunz

TommyGunz TDPRI Member

Thank for the compliment! It was great to do and learn on. Finishing a guitar is such a bear!

Yeah, I had wiring problems so I just wired direct to the jack to eliminate that as a possible cause. Didn't change the sound at all.

8. TommyGunz

TommyGunz TDPRI Member

I bypassed the wiring to eliminate that as a possible problem. Didn't change the sound at all. I've heard demo's of Rob's pickups and they just kill! His prices, his customer service, and his demo's are fantastic. My gut is telling me it's the bridge.

9. TommyGunz

TommyGunz TDPRI Member

I did that very thing about an hour ago...got a Wilkinson with brass saddles. Others here say it's fantastic.

gregj1964 likes this.
  10. TommyGunz

TommyGunz TDPRI Member

That's a fine looking guitar...nice job! I agree about the neck. I've heard that more of the resonance comes from the neck than body...estimates are like 70/30. I think Clapton was swapping necks until he found the right combo with Blackie. The interaction of all the parts is very complex, but that's what makes some guitars special, some good, and some not so good.

baiff likes this.
  11. baiff

baiff Tele-Holic

I wish I could get along with those 1" FAT necks better. They make most guitars I have tried ring like a bell.

12. MonkeyJefferson

MonkeyJefferson Tele-Holic

I say this from experience; I built a “dream” caster that was strangely sterile. I had a top of the line, big name boutique bridge. I won’t name it, because it was really nice, perfectly machined and finished. It just sapped the guitar of any mojo, and I ordered a real Fender. While waiting, I slipped a knockoff 5 dollar Chinese white metal painted chrome deal and on a lark, strung it up. Thin as a Pepsi can. Sounds so dope.

Brett Valentine and TommyGunz like this.
  13. MonkeyJefferson

MonkeyJefferson Tele-Holic

And yes to the neck. Necks are the most critical piece to good tone.

eclecticsynergy and TommyGunz like this.
  14. TommyGunz

TommyGunz TDPRI Member

Oh, and thanks for the compliment! BTW, whereabouts in Connecticut are you from? I knew a John in the late 90's from around the Cheshire area that could play real well.

15. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

For what it's worth, one of my guitars sounds plinky if the truss rod is too loose.

16. TommyGunz

TommyGunz TDPRI Member

Same here! I tech'd for a guy who had a vintage strat and man, that was a baseball bat neck. Huge. The tone was there in spades though. On my strat, I did a thicker neck but I did get an asymmetrical carve to make it easier on my hand. Made a big difference. FWIW, the best neck I ever played on was on a PRS DGT. Absolutely perfect for my size hand a style of playing. It makes sense because Grissom insisted, much to Paul's resistance, that the neck NOT taper up towards the body. That way David could play with his thumb wrapped over the top of the neck even at the highest frets. just incredibly comfortable and easy to play on. I'll get another one one of these days...amazing guitar.

17. TommyGunz

TommyGunz TDPRI Member

That's a good point! the Warmoth has one of those Gotoh modern ones. If you set it up before putting the neck on, then you'll have tension in there and nothing loose or rattling. Mine feels solid.

18. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Too loose is far better than too tight, because if the fit is too tight and the neck shifts (a bump, etc.) or if the neck and body dimensionally change due to humidity/temperature, it can cause finish cracks in the treble cutaway.

With the body laying flat, the neck should drop straight down into the pocket with only gravity pulling it in. If you have to lean on it, it's too tight.

You can have an air gap all the way around the sides/end of the neck and it won't detrimentally affect the tone. There are plenty of folks that disagree with this and they'll throw all kinds of terms around such as 'acoustical coupling', but truthfully the important fit is the mating surface between the neck and the body. If that fit is solid and immovable, that's as good as it gets.

Having a visible air gap all the way around, however, is poor fit and finish. It's strictly cosmetic, but attention to detail lacking in one area implies poor work in all other areas.

Your own mileage may vary. Professional driver on a closed course. Batteries not included.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    preactor likes this.
  19. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

People say this all the time, I put a blanket over my speaker cab to try and understand what people were talking about and I can tell you now... if it really sounds like a blanket over your speaker then there is something seriously wrong.

tintag27 likes this.
  20. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Before you spend a tone of cash on pickups/bridges/etc ... Lower the pickups nearly flush with the plate/pickguard and turn up the amp. If you still need more then get a 0.047uF cap like you see on the tone pots and put it in series with the hot lead from the muddy pickup to the switch. You can try 0.033/0.022/etc later but start with 0.047uF.

This will cut internal capacitance of the pickup.

How hot is the pickup winding? Hotter usually goes more muddy. Series cap will fix it. Volume pot at 500k or 1Meg or the top end of the pot spec can help too.

I've had few guitars that were not fixed with a series cap.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.