1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Need Advice on a Dull Sounding Tele Build

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by TommyGunz, May 22, 2020.

1. Chuckboy

Chuckboy Tele-Meister

Speaking of close, I'm in south Bastrop county, at the southern most point, 15 miles south of Rosanky, not far off Hwy 304.

I have several boards salvaged from the Lost Pines Loblolly fires in 2011. These were milled into boards 8-halves thick, about 14" wide and various lengths. I had them kiln dried. Then they sat in my barn on stringer strips drying out even further, for several years (still there).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bastrop_County_Complex_Fire

I've had one Tele built from Loblolly Pine from the Lost Pines fires. It was built at USACG into a carved-top, double F-hole, double chamber Tele with a Loblolly Pine neck and a mahogany fretboard. It kills.

I still have a bunch of the boards if you want to start from a blank and build a Lost Pines Tele or Strat let me know. I have enough to do Teles and Strats and others.

FuZZBoY and KW1977 like this.
  2. Galibier_Un

Galibier_Un Tele-Meister

I have one guitar that had Lollar Vintage Ts in it, and the neck pickup had that gritty sound that Lollar mentioned in is description of the Royal T neck.

I moved the pickups to another guitar and the grit was gone. On the guitar that exhibited the grit, I mounted some CS Nocasters and it was a perfect match.

Regarding resonant (unplugged) guitars sounding good when amplified, I'm beginning to get the lack of correlation. On The Gear Page, one well-respected luthier agrees that while the most resonant guitar (unplugged) isn't necessarily the best, he can map (predict) the amplified sound of a guitar based on how it sounds unplugged.

I get that someone with 30 years' experience can do that, but that's not me ;-)

... Thom

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    TommyGunz likes this.
  3. KW1977

KW1977 Tele-Meister

Would you mind sharing that link?

4. JJLC

JJLC Tele-Holic

I played Strats exclusively for ~20 years from 1981 to 2001. This all started when I bought a Strat for myself for my 20th birthday. The 'trick' you describe is something I have been doing for several decades, as I am now 59. 1/8th of a turn will typically do it; the less the better IMO. One other thing I do if the neck pocket allows it; I place a bit more space between the high E and the fingerboard edge (at the body end of the neck) & conversely a bit less between the large E & the fingerboard edge. I do this on every Fender screw neck guitar I own except for the very few that have a neck pocket that doesn't allow this adjustment.
    Glad you got your Tele issues sorted out.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    P Thought and TommyGunz like this.
  5. Galibier_Un

Galibier_Un Tele-Meister

I don't have the specifics handy, but if you surf on the Luthiers' sub-forum (https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?forums/luthiers-guitar-bass-technical-discussion.29/), the fellow in question is @walterw. Another great fellow with a wealth of knowledge is @Terry McInturff.

There are lots "deeper" threads on the topic of woods than this one I found in a quick search: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...erent-fingerboard-woods-have-on-tone.2010273/

These two have gone much more deeply down the rabbit hole in other threads, and Terry's single post in this thread is only a small sample. In general, reading their back and forth dialog about anything relating to guitars has been a source of both information and great entertainment.

... Thom

KW1977 likes this.
  6. TommyGunz

TommyGunz Tele-Meister

Yeah, that's close alright! I was just driving down 95 towards Bastrop to pickup some of Rocco's wings and passed a large area that had been cleared of Pines from the fire and I was wondering if any of that pine was around to make a guitar from. Kind of like The Natural with the baseball bat.

I'd love to make my own bodies, but I don't think I'm ready for that yet. I don't really have the workshop space...it's a closet with a window...lol. I would need to get a few more tools and some practice with a router or I'll just destroy that wood. I will keep you in mind for a future build for sure! Right now I am refinishing an old strat in lake placid blue.

KW1977 likes this.
  7. KW1977

KW1977 Tele-Meister

Bout six years ago I was living down in Creedmoor spraying ReRanch Nitro onto a couple friends' guitar bodies. Later worked on a farm in Garfield. I saw the remnants of the fires and wondered the same re; pine. Very cool you took that initiative, Chuckboy! If I'm not mistaken you're both in Mr Volkaert's neck o' the cedars. I miss the food down there!

TommyGunz likes this.
  8. Crusher2202

Crusher2202 TDPRI Member

Chuckboy, do you make bodies or just sell the wood?

9. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Wow! This must be a record number of responses to a first post. Took me two days to read the thread. I really like that screw-loosening neck-pocket trick. I'm going to try it on a couple-three teles.

10. TommyGunz

TommyGunz Tele-Meister

I know, it's been crazy with all the insightful responses. Be sure to let us know how it works out as a contribution to the thread!

P Thought likes this.
  11. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well, I mean it's on my list of things to do. This thread might be a zombie by the time I get around to it. . .:lol:

What grade, what subject? Right now, with my former colleagues scrambling to convert their classes to Covid mode, I know I'd do my best to make that work if I had to, but I can't help thinking that this is a very good time to be a retired teacher.

12. TommyGunz

TommyGunz Tele-Meister

I'll be teaching 4th math this coming year. It is a challenge to adapt. The biggest hurdle is aligning all students/parents with the technology and they way they should be used. I was getting homework via email, text, class dojo, shared docs via Drive and a myriad of ways in Google classroom. Grading and communicating with 5th graders has been my biggest challenge.

P Thought likes this.
  13. Yonatan

Yonatan Tele-Meister

Are there "after" soundclips?

14. TommyGunz

TommyGunz Tele-Meister

I did make the sound clips, but could not manage to get them linked to SoundCloud. My first clips no problem, but I'd put the links in then they would disappear when I published the post. After three or four tries, I gave up.

15. acVox

acVox TDPRI Member

I'd like to respectfully demure. Seasoned Pine is a super tone wood, with and without a Rosewood board.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.